Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Convert vest into a kama.

• 6 Replies

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Convert vest into a kama.
« on: Jun 29, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Will Be using this vest for a different project Non-Mando related.

Thanks to Everyone for your advise.

Hi app team and ner vode,
I just found out by ner vode in ner aliit (my clan) that my vest was too long and that the zipper needs to be covered in light of this I opted to turn my vest into a Kama.

Any suggestions on how to do this with some illustrations would be great.

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2016, 11:43 PM by Argen Tium » Logged
Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Papa.
PROGRESS:
Armour WIP - local APPROVED.
Argen Tium Beast Tamer WIP

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
Re: Convert vest into a kama.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Since I'm at work and doing this on my tabled, I'm afraid I won't be including any illustrations.  However, you'll want to lower that kama a bit, it should start closer to your waist.  Now I'm going to tell you what I would do in your shoes.  Keep in mind that you don't have to go the same route I would.

First, see that horizontal seam on the back of the vest?  You could probably cut along that because there's no need for shoulders on a kama.  Now cut along the side seams on both sides to remove the front halves of the vest.  Now you can either loop the top (formerly bottom) of the vest to create a sleeve for a belt to slide through, or use a strip from one of the pieces you cut off to make the sleeve.  From there, just clean up the edges and you have yourself a kama.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2016, 12:50 AM »
Since I'm at work and doing this on my tabled, I'm afraid I won't be including any illustrations.  However, you'll want to lower that kama a bit, it should start closer to your waist.  Now I'm going to tell you what I would do in your shoes.  Keep in mind that you don't have to go the same route I would.

First, see that horizontal seam on the back of the vest?  You could probably cut along that because there's no need for shoulders on a kama.  Now cut along the side seams on both sides to remove the front halves of the vest.  Now you can either loop the top (formerly bottom) of the vest to create a sleeve for a belt to slide through, or use a strip from one of the pieces you cut off to make the sleeve.  From there, just clean up the edges and you have yourself a kama.

Like this

PROGRESS:

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2016, 12:12 AM »
so the other costume kind of fell to the way side.

so if I did cut on the lines below. will it still be considered a kama? i was under the impression that it needed to come around 1/3 of my thighs?

PROGRESS:

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Nah. Kamas are all aesthetic anyways. I mean, at some point it's more of a buttflap than a kama, but you can still call it whatever you want :P

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2016, 12:46 PM »
At this point it looks like you're still too high.  Think about where your vest and plates will be.  The bottom of your ab plate will most likely be right about at your navel.  You'll probably want your kama to hang from somewhere below that point, because that'd be a lot of layers in one spot.  I plan to have mine hang from just above my hips. 

And as for length, there's really no specific rules on what is and isn't a kama.  Length, shape, single-piece or split, it's pretty much whatever you want it to be.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2016, 05:53 PM »
At this point it looks like you're still too high.  Think about where your vest and plates will be.  The bottom of your ab plate will most likely be right about at your navel.  You'll probably want your kama to hang from somewhere below that point, because that'd be a lot of layers in one spot.  I plan to have mine hang from just above my hips. 

And as for length, there's really no specific rules on what is and isn't a kama.  Length, shape, single-piece or split, it's pretty much whatever you want it to be.

Sweet thanks Vode Plus I am an Official member now.

PROGRESS:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!