Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Neck Seal? Yup! Check (Well, almost...), and Other Soft Parts

• 32 Replies
Re: Neck Seal? Yup! Check (Well, almost...), and Other Soft Parts
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I'm planning on painting the boots close to the colour of my suit with some accents being darker.

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Knightwarrier

• Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:55 AM »
I was wondering about your neck seal as well, thinking it would be really hot! Looks fantastic though.

Helmet Build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103060.0
Gauntlets http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103062.0
Torso Armor - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103496.0
Girth Belt - Not Started
Shin Armor - Not started
Boot Armor - Not Started
Knee Armor - Not Started
Weapon (sidearms) - Not Sta
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:02 PM »
It's actually quite comfy.  It's a stretch fabric with minimal batting,  it breathes really well.  The one thing I'm thinking of for version 2.0 is to "scoop"  the front bit so it sits a little bit lower below my chin.

B.o.B.B. #008

Cakes

« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Nice I'd have thought it would be hot under it with it's rubber like coating and batting.
You can also get fabric paint medium and tint it with any acrylic so you should be able to get it pretty close.

This might give you an idea of the shape they use for paintball neck guards

« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2016, 10:29 PM »
That'll be for the next release! But that is almost exactly what I was thinking for a shape.  Thanks for the pictures,  it will be a great help when the time comes!

Here's my scrubs flight suit. I used a second pair of pants (size XS) to make the sleeves. As you probably know,  scrubs are usually very loose fitting  and baggy.  It took a lot of trial and error to get the tailoring right,  but I think it looks pretty good! It's actually quite fitted along the legs,  and sleeves too.  The sleeves are nice and long,  so they won't ride up.  I did the old crouch and sit test and nothing ripped apart!

The vest also took a while.  It's quite sturdy and things should be well anchored on it once I get to that point.  Velcro will be the attachment method,  as I don't want to mess with snaps or eyelets...

Gloves were also worked on a bit,  but only to remove the logos and Velcro and replace the existing cuffs with wide black elastic.

Here's what all that looks like...

I have to finish the girth belt and get a decent belt for my ammo pouches.  I'm not sure if I am going to make a Cape yet... 

Stay tuned!

B.o.B.B. #008
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Fez are cool! And bow ties,  too!
Belt next!

B.o.B.B. #008

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:45 AM »
Looking great ner'vod!!  Keep up the good work!  :)

« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2016, 10:58 PM »
Had the house to myself today,  so I knocked out a couple of pouches for my ammo belt...

They will get dyed grey eventually,  no worries..  Unless I wanted to do a TFA Snow Trooper...

I'm pretty pleased with the results...

Girth belt time next...

B.o.B.B. #008
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2016, 10:37 PM »
It's been a while...

Pouches were white, the colour of the fabric I used.  I decided I was going to dye them the same grey as my scrubs. Weirdest thing happened :some panels came out perfectly gray, some a lovely shade of burgundy... Odd,  since there was no burgundy dye in the house. 

I had to paint them using Tulip Fabric Spray Paint.  Here's the results. Not bad, really...

Picked up my girth belt at the cobblers  today.  They did a fabulous job with the straps! There's no way these suckers are coming off!  They also strengthened the seams I had already closed to make everything extra sturdy.

Here's the requisite pics with the belts on... Sorry,  they're kind of rubbish really... How do people take decent pictures in a bloody mirror?! I really want to know...

I have 8 ammo pouches at the moment. I'm thinking of cutting that down to 4. It would make things a little Les crowded,  and would leave space for the girth belt to show!

Here's the ammo belt...

Opinions? Thoughts?

B.o.B.B. #008

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #25 on: Sep 24, 2016, 01:59 AM »
If it were me I would try cutting down to 6.
Comparing against Boba directly he did have 8 pouches, but they were smaller than your's so they end up with a gap between them ending and the pouches that end up on the hips.

Try dropping two to start with and giving them a small amount of space between. It should end up with parts of the girth belt showing (which is what you wanted :)) and keep the overall aesthetic

Girth belt has come out great

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #26 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:25 AM »
Yeah, 6 might work. But that'd be hard to keep symmetrical.  I was thinking of another doodad so I guess I could put that on the side that had the single pair of pouches...

We shall see...

Stay tooned!

B.o.B.B. #008

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #27 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Or you move them about completely.

4 through the center, then your sewn pouches then the last two leather pouches right on the outside?

I have a central section on my belt with breach charges, then my leather pouches go all the way from front corner to outer hip. They don't get in the way at all

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:13 PM »
Ok.  To get the full effect,  you'll need to scroll up and look at my scrubs up there...  Go on!  Take a look....

Got the image fresh in your mind? Let's go ahead with tonight's update....

Did some weathering on my scrubs/flightsuit today. The pics don't really do it justice,  but you can tell they're no longer pristine... They look well worn,  dirty and grimy.

Il probably add more in key areas, but I don't want to overdo it either. The method was simply to mix appropriate colours of paint with water in a garden spray bottle and spray liberally all over the place... Special attention paid to wrists,  elbows, knees and the bottom of the pants... The seat also got its share...  They were left to dry in the sun for a few hours and will now get tossed in the drier  for a few cycles to bake the paint in.

Will probably go over them again with weathering powders and then seal with matte clear..

Stay tooned!

B.o.B.B. #008

Kry'o Kah'vyr

• Awards Family events 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2016, 02:45 PM »
Yeah, I thought about keeping the kitties print... Not!

I guess it could be the Mando equivalent of the story Johnny Cash told in "A Boy Named Sue"...  ;D

"Make fun of my kiities, will ya? Now you gonna DIE!!!!"

8)
ahahah I totally approve that !  :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------
M5 #69 - IT-Mando #25

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!