Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Neck Seal? Yup! Check (Well, almost...), and Other Soft Parts

• 32 Replies
Since I was visiting the most talented seamstress I know, namely my Mom, I figured I'd venture into the soft parts arena while she was there to bail me out if I messed up too badly...

Got this really cool material for dirt cheap ($7) . It is stretchy and has an almost rubber looking side to it. Not sure if the rubber looking side was meant to be the side showing, but it'll be the one showing here!!!

Started by cutting a piece 20" by 13", which was folded in half to maker it 6.5" (6" + .5 " of extra for the attachment to the dickie part.) Some batting was added, same width, and sewn on 3 sides while fabric was inside out. See below

Once turned back right side out it looks like this

Next step was to model a dickie sort of thing so the seal would stay put while won. I proceeded to draft a template from the T-shirt I was wearing, which wound up something like this:

This was sewn on the bottom of the seal, taking care to make sure the opening would line up (so I could fit my huge noggin' in there...)

Once done, I sewed line all the way across the width of the seal t created the required rings/ribs/raised bits. Sadly, both sewing machines came started aging up just as I was about to sew  the last line across, so you'll notice a wider area a the top on the pics below. I also still have to sew the velcro closure on the tab we made sure to create, overlapping the ends.

Here's what it looks like so far

Vest is next!! Here's what the mock up looks like, please forgive the lovely cat print on the fabric... I couldn't see the point in wasting material on a test of the pattern I drafted...

The actual fabric I'm planning to use is a coarse weave cotton fabric, blue-gray in colour...

I'm pleased with the way the pattern fits. A hidden zipper on the side will allow a fitted vest, which will accommodate my plates better. Flaps will be added to attach the shoulder bells. I'll have to wait until I get back home to do more work on it, however, as we are heading back home tomorrow!

Comments?

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2015, 10:02 PM by jmchabot » Logged
B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
Re: Neck Seal? Yup! Check (Well, almost...), and Other Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2015, 11:15 PM »
I say stick to the kitties! :P

I'm liking the neck seal! looking good so far vod

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Yeah, I thought about keeping the kitties print... Not!

I guess it could be the Mando equivalent of the story Johnny Cash told in "A Boy Named Sue"...  ;D

"Make fun of my kiities, will ya? Now you gonna DIE!!!!"

8)

B.o.B.B. #008

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I'm digging the neck seal, looks awesome.

You might want to switch over to a Tooka / Loth Cat pattern on your vest to keep it in universe, but I'd say go for it. It'd definitely be unique.  :P

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2015, 11:20 PM »
Yeah, maybe mythosaurs playing with balls of yarn?

New development in the fabric for the cest front: while digging through her piles of fabric looking for something to use as lining for the fest, my Mom found some leftover fabric she'd woven for a skirt she entered in a sewing competition...

You read that right, she not only sewed the skirt, she wove the fabric...

That's hardcore...

So now my vest is made of this home woven fabric. It looks and feels awesome. Rugged, solid, just real nice! Plus, I daresay there won't be anyone wearing the same fabric... Ever!!

Pics soon, as I'm a little tired tonight, and tomorrow is Canada Day!!!

B.o.B.B. #008

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2015, 02:34 AM »
You read that right, she not only sewed the skirt, she wove the fabric...

That's hardcore...

Can I borrow your mom for a few days? I need to finish up my kama  :laugh:

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2015, 07:43 AM »
That's awesome!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Everything is looking Good from What I can see ... Really like the Neck seal ..  ;D

I will be checking in to see the Progress ... keep up the fine Work ....  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2015, 10:04 AM »
Wow, nice work Brother.  I will be starting on my vest and neck seal probably when I get back from my trip.  Keep at it and finish that helmet, can't wait to see some paint on it.

Balou

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Managed to score myself 2 pairs of very cool boots off of eBay. They are very different from each other, one pair being leather ankle boots and the other being canvas and slightly higher. I'm torn as to which one would be a better choice, so I thought I would ask you fine folks out there!

First off, the leather ones. They are ladies ankle boots, but I managed to get the largest size they had and they do fit, if a little snugly. But I think I could relax the leather and stretch them out a bit and they should be fine.

I will be wearing spats, shin guards and footplates, so the snap looking thing will be covered. They do have a zipper on the instep which would be hard to conceal completely... If I used these, I would be sanding them down to rough up the finish and spray painting them using some spray fabric paints to get the color closer to what my kit will be. I most likely would also be adding accent pieces here and there to add extra visual interest.

The other pair, which I think I favour at the moment, are described by the seller as Police training boots. They are so light and flexible! The soles are vulcanized rubber and the uppers are thick, lined canvas. They are lace-ups, but the aforementioned spats, boot plates and shin guards will handle that. The plan here would be to once again color them to a shade closer to my kit, and change-up the look of the soles' edges to make them look more Swarzy.

Here they are:

So, what say ye, vode? Which one would you fancy??

B.o.B.B. #008

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Hmmm. Both are really cool!  If you already have the spats and plates to cover everything up, my vote would be the lace up boots.  They look like they'd be more comfy to troop in.  But honestly, either one would be sweet!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Yeah, they're the ones now for sure... Here they are with the plates.

I really have to work on my suit!! And get my vest completed (I need to sew on bias tape on the edges)

B.o.B.B. #008
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Girth belt time!

I wanted to go a little different,  so I went with black denim and leather,  as a nod to my metal years...

Put together a 5 1/2" strip of denim long enough to go all the way around me.  Since I'm using leather from old coats I got at Value Village,  I've had to do several pieces to have something long enough.  I also wanted to make sure it'd be sturdy enough to be cinched tight.

You can see the rope I dyed at the top three.  I'm pretty excited about the results as the colour is pretty much bang on.

I went with 3 groups of 6 strands,  which gave me the exact width I needed.  It can be a little frustrating to work with multiple strands of rope that shift around constantly.  I pinned them every 6"or so,  alternating the direction of the pins so they stayed on easier.

Once all three plaits were pinned,  I ran a few zigzag runs on the sewing machine to secure the ends.

So,  all three plaits are now stitched on the ends and ready to be attached to the actual belt.  As you can see,  the 3 plaits are almost exactly the width of the belt.

I still have to finish the ends and get buckles and straps attached so I can wear this thing.  I want to do something with the ends to cover them and add a little more flair.  Not sure what though...  Still thinking...

More soon!

B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2015, 07:49 PM »
At first I was going to say bright orange for your belt high light but you might be better off with the same fabric as your vest.

Keep at it brother.

Eric

Cakes

« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:29 PM »
That seal looks pretty sick, does it breath well?

I'm partial to leather boots myself but you'd probably be able to dye the police boots closer to your kit easier.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I'm planning on painting the boots close to the colour of my suit with some accents being darker.

B.o.B.B. #008

Knightwarrier

• Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:55 AM »
I was wondering about your neck seal as well, thinking it would be really hot! Looks fantastic though.

Helmet Build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103060.0
Gauntlets http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103062.0
Torso Armor - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103496.0
Girth Belt - Not Started
Shin Armor - Not started
Boot Armor - Not Started
Knee Armor - Not Started
Weapon (sidearms) - Not Sta
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:02 PM »
It's actually quite comfy.  It's a stretch fabric with minimal batting,  it breathes really well.  The one thing I'm thinking of for version 2.0 is to "scoop"  the front bit so it sits a little bit lower below my chin.

B.o.B.B. #008

Cakes

« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Nice I'd have thought it would be hot under it with it's rubber like coating and batting.
You can also get fabric paint medium and tint it with any acrylic so you should be able to get it pretty close.

This might give you an idea of the shape they use for paintball neck guards

« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2016, 10:29 PM »
That'll be for the next release! But that is almost exactly what I was thinking for a shape.  Thanks for the pictures,  it will be a great help when the time comes!

Here's my scrubs flight suit. I used a second pair of pants (size XS) to make the sleeves. As you probably know,  scrubs are usually very loose fitting  and baggy.  It took a lot of trial and error to get the tailoring right,  but I think it looks pretty good! It's actually quite fitted along the legs,  and sleeves too.  The sleeves are nice and long,  so they won't ride up.  I did the old crouch and sit test and nothing ripped apart!

The vest also took a while.  It's quite sturdy and things should be well anchored on it once I get to that point.  Velcro will be the attachment method,  as I don't want to mess with snaps or eyelets...

Gloves were also worked on a bit,  but only to remove the logos and Velcro and replace the existing cuffs with wide black elastic.

Here's what all that looks like...

I have to finish the girth belt and get a decent belt for my ammo pouches.  I'm not sure if I am going to make a Cape yet... 

Stay tuned!

B.o.B.B. #008
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Fez are cool! And bow ties,  too!
Belt next!

B.o.B.B. #008

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:45 AM »
Looking great ner'vod!!  Keep up the good work!  :)

« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2016, 10:58 PM »
Had the house to myself today,  so I knocked out a couple of pouches for my ammo belt...

They will get dyed grey eventually,  no worries..  Unless I wanted to do a TFA Snow Trooper...

I'm pretty pleased with the results...

Girth belt time next...

B.o.B.B. #008
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2016, 10:37 PM »
It's been a while...

Pouches were white, the colour of the fabric I used.  I decided I was going to dye them the same grey as my scrubs. Weirdest thing happened :some panels came out perfectly gray, some a lovely shade of burgundy... Odd,  since there was no burgundy dye in the house. 

I had to paint them using Tulip Fabric Spray Paint.  Here's the results. Not bad, really...

Picked up my girth belt at the cobblers  today.  They did a fabulous job with the straps! There's no way these suckers are coming off!  They also strengthened the seams I had already closed to make everything extra sturdy.

Here's the requisite pics with the belts on... Sorry,  they're kind of rubbish really... How do people take decent pictures in a bloody mirror?! I really want to know...

I have 8 ammo pouches at the moment. I'm thinking of cutting that down to 4. It would make things a little Les crowded,  and would leave space for the girth belt to show!

Here's the ammo belt...

Opinions? Thoughts?

B.o.B.B. #008

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!