Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

question/advice about ammo belt

• 4 Replies
question/advice about ammo belt
« on: Jul 07, 2015, 01:36 AM »
so I was searching for leather ammo pouches online, and I found this chinese c96 ammo pouch webbing, which seemed like it would make a great ammo belt if I removed the suspenders/harness.

1)would this need to be modified further? like making the actual belt the pouches sit upon slimmer
2)would this cover/replace a girth belt?
3)has anyone actually got one of these? I'm not sure how big those pouches are, compared to say, jango and boba's. does the belt go all the way around you, or just across the front of your body?

thanks in advance for any help guys

Re: question/advice about ammo belt
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2015, 04:04 AM »
I have actually seen one of those before in person, the pouches aren't very wide due to the size of the clips of ammo for the gun it's used for, 12 pouches shouldn't be going much further than 24-26 inches around your waist with the rest of the length being adjustment. I personally think it would look great as a cheaper Jango Option other than the fact it would need to be dyed a darker brown to stay in canon. I dont think it would cover or replace a girth belt. Hope that helps Vod, good luck!

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:29 AM »
I don't see any problem with the belt or pouches.  As mentioned above, depending on your color scheme, you may want to use some leather/shoe polish to darken them up a bit, but I think that would be okay to use right off the shelf.

A lot of us use the leather Mauser pouches that are widely available through military surplus websites, and if you look back at the Original Trilogy (especially Episode 4 when the budgets were low), the screen-used props were cannibalized World War II-era gear that was slightly modified to look "SWarzy", but in some cases was off-the-shelf equipment that was roughed up to look used.

As to whether you could use that in lieu of a girth belt or sash, I'd like to see a mock-up of your kit before making any comment.  However, if you look at the CRLs, a girth belt is not required, although a lot of people wear them.  If you have a one piece flightsuit, you may not need one and the ammo belt would be sufficient.

From the look of the picture, it appears that the pouches probably cover 3/4 of the way around your body and the belt buckles in the back.  I don't think that is a problem, and if you wanted, you could easily cover up the buckle with a kama or cape.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:13 PM »
thanks, that does help. I think I'm gonna go with a rifle ammo pouch, or at least something with a slightly larger magazine  :P
I've actually had my eye on some milsurp yugoslav m48 ammo pouches, they seem to be a nice alternative to the equally suitable mosin nagant pouches

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2015, 03:24 PM »
That belt is pretty nice. I can speak from experience (at least as a rotund fellow) that those suspenders could actually be really useful, I purchased suspenders to attach to my belt to make sure it doesn't slip, just strap them under your vest and you should be good.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!