Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Completed Worklog w/ pics: Scratchbuilt 1313 Boba Fett Blaster-inspired Carbine

• 76 Replies

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Well, I've nearly finished on the scratchbuilt twin Westar 34s for Nikjay so it's time to get started on my main weapon.

I've decided to be a bit more ambitious and take the kickass design of the 1313 Boba Fett Blaster and try my hand at beefing it up and making a carbine version of it, with an extended stock echoing Boba's EE-3.

Here's my quick Photoshop knock up to compare it to the 1313 original...

Currently wranging a template so I can go out and cut some big slices of MDF so this thing can have some weight, heft and a barrel made out of 43mm PVC pipe!

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2015, 04:51 PM by simorph » Logged

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
Re: WIP Scratchbuilt 1313 Boba Fett Blaster-inspired Carbine
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2015, 05:09 PM »
He..gjs..sjdjskkw *explodes*

Ori'vod, you just won the Internet.

This concept is gorgeous, a perfect blend of 1313 and 'Traditional' Boba. With the skill and dedication you put into those Westars for N'ika, I know this'll be an epic build :D

Eagerly await the next update! :)
Ol

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2015, 05:15 PM »
I have no doubt you're going to make this look amazing.  Quick (stupid) question, though.  What's MDF?

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Thanks guys!  ;D  (All I have to do now is make it!)  :D

It's Medium Density Fibreboard - available at most DIY stores over here in the UK and dirt cheap - I've used it for a number of shelves and out-of-the way DIY projects.  Have to make sure you don't breathe the fumes while you're cutting it, but it's great for shaping, sanding,etc (it's the stuff I made the grips for the Westar 34s with)

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Cool.  I may have to look into getting some and experimenting.  Thanks.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Vod, when you get finished, you should make a casting of it. This is a work of art. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2015, 01:14 PM »
That is a brilliant looking concept. Can not wait to see it implemented.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Havelock

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Vod, when you get finished, you should make a casting of it. This is a work of art. ;D

That is a dandy idea!

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Adam Savage used MDF in this One-Day Build: http://youtu.be/QWiqr-lwYA0

Because we seem to love referencing Adam Savage in these threads  :laugh:

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

ROBLBC

• Ni narir bora, Ni pabida sada
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2015, 03:09 PM »
he was using LDF in his build. Gives me ideas for my next weapon

Syko Voss

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Watching the build of the Barbarella rifle actually made me realise that I could do this...albeit without several thousand $ worth of cool lathes and drill presses to do the really fancy stuff.  :D

Right - so here's an update chaps...

So I printed out my Illustrator mockup and sketched the outline onto a sheet of 6mm MDF - the stock was about 1cm too long to fit on the whole sheet, so I had to tweak that back...

Then it was glue and clamps to a second piece of 6mm MDF and a few strategically placed drill holes so I could bolt the two halves together and guarantee no risk of shearing while cutting (also the middle hole would serve as a place to start cutting the centre hole between the stock and the grip)

Some time with the jigsaw got me the first profile at 12mm thick...

Pleased to say that hand fits around the grip nicely, thumb goes easily around the back of the grip and the stock at the shoulder feels right.  Also, with my arm down by my side the gun isn't too big in that it doesn't drag on the ground...

(I had contemplated making a card mockup as I had with my first project - the Westars, but I double-checked my measurements and with the paper template I was confident that it would work.)

Then, after that I spent time with the physical piece working out what layers I would need and how I'd be making the barrel out of PVC pipe - 36mm and 43mm pipe.

The two trickiest challenges would be:

• How to cut the MDF and barrel pipes together so that the MDF frame would remain as strong as possible, while allowing me to keep as much of the barrel as a complete cylinder so that it would retain its strength and illusion that it was a single piece from the back to the front of the gun
  • How to layer up the MDF so that it fit around the barrel and looked like the 2D concept image (which looks super cool but being only a 2D concept is not guaranteed to actually work in 3D)
Much jigsawing and hacksawing saw me opt to cut 12mm wide slots in the barrel pipes, cut slots down the barrel end of the MDF main body and a big chunk out of the centre of the main body to make the barrel work.

I also cut various strips of MDF to layer above and below the barrel to create the shape of the rest of the gun...

The two outer layers of the stock I cut to fit what I'd intended to be the original size for it so with a little bit of fill-in, I'm able to create the stock to the original size/proportions of the template.

Roughly layered up everything now looks like this: (I will trim the barrel back to meet the end of the MDF but only when I'm confident everything works - a barrel that long does drag on the floor...)

Since I'm working through this organically I do need to do a bit more work...

The piece that cradles the bottom of the barrel is made up of two pieces....the first sits right under the barrel:

The second is slightly taller and sits on top of it...

Unfortunately this isn't quite enough to accomodate the barrel at its maximum width so this top plate sits diagonally...

So I'm planning to cut another slice to sit inbetween to complete the cradle...

The worst side-effect of this I see is that the gun is only going to look meatier and more baddass as a result.

I think I can live with that...  ;D

Right, that's me done for the weekend.
Unfortunately I have to work away this week so I won't be able to do any more prop work/post any updates for at least 5 days.

So I'm going off to the Outer Rim Territories for a short while and will meet you, my friends at the rendez-vous point next week.
May the Force be with You!   :)

Havelock

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Vod, your work is so good that my wife, who's not into all this stuff, is sitting next to me saying, "Wow," and, "He's really good," and, "You should buy one of those from him," and things of that nature.  Your work is amazing, my friend.  Have fun at work this week, and I'll be looking forward to your update next weekend.

Edit:

It's Friday evening on the East Coast of the US.  Where's the updates, vod?  *taps foot*   :laugh:

Hope you're having fun in the Outer Rim.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2015, 08:17 PM by Havelock » Logged

Syko Voss

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Well lately, I've been busy (so busy in fact that I've haven't had time to post), so here's an update...

The first order was to fix the cradle around the barrel with an additional piece of MDF...

...which fixed the gun, and indeed, made it look much more baddass...

And with the major pieces of MDF cut I decided that it was time to screw everything together...

This meant that I could pick up the blaster for the first time and wield it - feels good, feels meaty.  Although the job of screwing it together took longer than expected because I found my toolbox had screws that were so long that they met in the middle of the blaster or were too short to go through 3 layers of MDF.

I solved this by gluing some of the layers together and doing a serious countersinking job on the shorter screws.

By using screws it means that I can take the blaster apart and reform it as much as I need to - particularly since the middle barrel section (which still needs detailing) will no longer slot into place with the cradle around it attached to the blaster.

I then took a look at the underside of the blaster....

Unfortunately I don't have access to the fancy kind of scroll saws that you'd need to do a great job of this, I'm doing this all with a regular jigsaw, so there's a lot of error between the parts which means I'm expecting lots of bits of corrective sanding and filler work to be done as we go.

But, rather than obsess about those bits and get bogged down with them, I realised the best thing to do would be to start breaking down all the detail pieces since a lot of those might cover up my 'crimes' on the body for me - no point in refining the piece in places that will be covered up or unable to be seen!

So instead I decided to tackle the tricky problem of drilling the holes down the barrel - a task made much easier after picking up a tip from a fellow member on the forum of using a template...

So, doing a bit of math (2 x pi x radius and all that), I drew up a template in Adobe Illustrator, printed it out and wrapped the barrel...

Why I hadn't have thought of that before I don't know, but I could have made the detailing on the Westars much easier this way.
Well, we live and learn...

And now I've begun the process of slicing up a full-size printout of the blaster into smaller templates and cutting pieces out of 3mm Foamex (Sintra) to create the details...

One thing I am learning is that cutting convincing small circular shapes is near impossible, so I'm doing my best to source things like washers, components from the insides of pens and any other bits I find in my toolbox to stand in for the small circular pieces.  This seems to have the effect of 'tightening up' the look of the piece where the critical details catch your eye.

Many more parts to cut so I'll update again when I've got more of the details built and am ready to move to the next stage of assembly.

Havelock

« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2015, 04:55 PM »
 :o :o :o

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Syrafes

• (Si-Ra-Fes)
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Really looking forward to the outcome of this build. About time somebody tried to make one of those.

I'll probably try using your methods to build a regular pistol version of that for myself.

Welkin

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Awesome work so far!

MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Syko Voss

« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Thanks everyone once again - yep, didn't want to go anywhere near a Nerf - converting those things looks more trouble than they're worth.

Plus, I want something that is scaled to me and actually has some weight to it so it'll look more believable in person.

Pleased to say that in addition to the work we've done on the helmets the blaster has moved along quite a lot.

It's been a matter of picking fights with every little detail of it in turn since it's near impossible to figure everything out in your head in one go.

With a lot of the mid-body of the gun built with Foamex (Sintra) I knew I had to scratchbuild a sight.  So into the box of greeblies trying to figure out which cylindrical bits and pieces slide into which and which bottle tops I needed to drill out with the Dremel to make useable tubes...

Everything pretty much pushed together to make the sight...

Then came the challenge of connecting it to the rail and building out some of the other features of the sight from the reference.

Custom pieces cut from Foamex (Sintra) and some bolts did some of the work...

...and then I realised I had an old bike reflector lying around in my box of spares...

EXCELSIOR!

Using the ring/holder from the bike reflector I could fit the sight inside it then use the bolt to bolt it to the rail made out of the plastic coat hanger, and then take the two clips from the trouser hanger and glue those onto either side to look like additional side supports...

So pleased with figuring that one out since it had been puzzling me for weeks trying to work out how to custom make a sight that wouldn't just look like a bit of tubing.

That done, I attacked the barrel sections, using paper templates, a mitre block and a hacksaw to try and cut rings around the barrel in appropriate places and then cleaning up as best I can with a needle file...

This is the hardest part of the build and the thing I'm least pleased with - I can't seem to find a way to make consistent clean rings around the PVC pipe.  In the absence of a lathe, this the best method I can come up with - but if anyone has any tips/alternative ways to do this, I'd love to hear them.

One tip I can share though is how to make some nice clean circular shapes with Foamex (Sintra) - I've tried handcutting the various buttons/rivets for this thing and every attempt has been disastrous - until I figured this out...

I took a piece of 3mm Foamex (Sintra) and with the back of the blade on my box cutter knife, scored a fine grid across it.

Then I took some buttons and washers...

Glued them to the other side and roughly cut them out...

Then holding the sandwich of washer and PVC foam I gently sanded around the whole thing with the drum sander bit on the Dremel - the result - perfectly round custom buttons - the solid button/washer helps you maintain the look of a machined circle...

Another minor win!

This week I've stripped down the gun back to its component MDF parts and been filling and sanding and shaping and working out methods to engrave extra details on the blaster before I reassemble it and head into the final phase...

The 'tac light' on the bottom of the barrel was done using one piece of PVC pipe, into which was slotted a section of a barrel of a Sharpie, within which was slotted a section of a thinner pen barrel and inside that yet another pen barrel that forms the centre of it and plugs into a hole drilled into the MDF.

And the section I've cut out in the MDF where the barrel goes is shaped to hold another one of those tapering pieces from the soap dispenser to give my barrel some kind of interior.  I'm also thinking of mounting some greeblies onto the sides of the MDF central section so that when assembled, if anyone takes a peek through the cooling holes on the outside of the barrel there'll be some neat details in there too...

Right - fire up my Dremel, I have hand grips and detail lines to engrave!

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Aug 07, 2015, 02:06 PM »
 :o

Syko Voss

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Thanks, once again, guys - your kind words are greatly appreciated!

So, as planned, I attacked the detailing on the grip.

I decided to use the Dremel's engraving bits to create the detailing on the back of it, which turned out reasonably well but the combination of the grains within the MDF and the fact that it's really difficult to get a ruler in there meant that the lines were a little wobbly and I couldn't get them as close together as I'd like.  But, in simulating the details for a rubberised back grip, I think it turned out okay...

With regard to the tooling of the front of the grip - the reference image showed it very much like a knurled metal finish so I decided that I needed a material that I could engrave with much higher details but that was thin enough that when glued to the MDF wouldn't stand proud.

For that, I turned to a plastic milk carton...

I cut out a section of the carton (after drinking the milk and washing it out, of course!) drew a template and using a metal ruler as a guide engraved the strips across the sheet.  That done, I freehanded the vertical details by making lots of tiny lines - didn't take too long, but boy, did it give me a heckuva writer's cramp!

With the grip sorted, I turned my attention to the rest of the engravable detail, using a metal ruler and the rotary tool to engrave the key lines and then used a needle file to further open the lines up and clear the slots of debris...

And with that done, it was more rounds of P38 (Bondo) body filler and sanding...(including adding a few bits of detailing on the back of the piece that holds the sight rail)

Then came the question of the trigger - I'd been worried about fashioning one from Foamex (Sintra) since it would likely snap off before I even got the chance to paint it.  It was then I found in my Greebly Box an aluminium cam lever that I think was left over from our kitchen installation - it was exactly the right width and the curve of the tip almost exactly matched that of the trigger on the reference image.  So, I took a hacksaw to it, used the Dremel to rout a slot in the underside of the gun body and secured it in place with big dollops of 2-part epoxy glue...

The 'magazine' was then glued onto the underside - that's a block of MDF, a bit of PVC foam glued to the side and a shape cut from the clip on a pen.

I worked my way forward to the business end of the blaster and realised that it would be neat if I could create a little bit of detail on the inside so that should anyone peer in through the holes down the side of the barrel there'd be more to see than just a blank piece of MDF.  Drinking straws and some cut-down pen barrels should do the trick here - I only need the suggestion of detail - paint them black with the rest of the gun and attack with Rub 'n' Buff before I assemble the barrel....

The detailing on the front of the barrel is made up of a bit of PVC foam, a section of pen barrel and some spare model kit parts I found in one of my kid's bedrooms.

And with all this coming together I decided to take a look at the stock...

This, I decided needed to be inspired by the stock on the original Boba Fett EE-3 carbine with its signature trio of greeblies along it.

So, once again, I raided the kitchen cupboards to find something to stand in for them...

The most interesting and appropriate objects I could find were the flip tops on Heinz Ketchup Bottles - yes, ketchup lids - if you turn them over they read '57 varieties' (of kill...  ;D )

... so I procured 4 from the cupboards.

For the square greeblies in the centre, I couldn't find any objects that were appropriate so decided to fashion my own out of Foamex. (Foamex 'B' shapes cut to be similar to the ones in the original Boba blaster, a couple of small cable grips glued on end and a couple of washers cut into shapes)

With the holes cut, it was out with the clamps and glue...

...followed by stacks of body filler and sanding to make the whole thing look like one seamless piece.

That done, I added a few more found kit parts to the back of the grip...  Using CA glue (Super Glue/Crazy Glue) to secure it and a sprinkle of baking soda to set the glue fast and fill in a few gaps between the kit parts and the MDF...

...and a few more kit parts to the front of the body to add a little more detail...

In the background to all this I sprayed black a number of parts that will need to be pre-painted before assembly and I've cut a strip of PVC foam to be heat-formed and inserted into the back of the stock.

So here I am, a whole bunch of parts ready for the assembly to begin tomorrow and the final phase....

Cover me, I'm going in!

Havelock

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:02 PM »
*Looks at my own scratch-build blaster*

*Looks at Simorph's work*

*sigh*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is amazing stuff, my friend!

Welkin

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2015, 02:15 AM »
Great Work, it's coming along nicely.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!