Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Concerns about cast helmets

• 2 Replies

Dar'manda

• Dar'manda
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
Concerns about cast helmets
« on: Jul 20, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Hello,

My wie and I are currently working on our first suits for approval. We recently purchased 2 helmet kits off a website (I'm not going to say which one, but it wasn't one of the usual ones, don't ask), a site that we had purchased from before. We got one last year that was solid, resin, sturdy, and nice.
This year, we purchased 2, and one of them, a Deathwatch-style one, came out very similar to the old one, dense, solid, feels strong.
But the second, a standard Fett, is made of a different resin, a black type, feels much more plastic-y, and seems thinner, a bit more brittle. I've shown it to two different groups of Mandos, and both have commented on how light it is, but how rushed it seems.
Here's some comparison photos

Can anyone identify the possibly kind of resin used, and should I be concerned about it? The white one feels good, and I'm relatively sure it'll take cutting/painting/modding, but I'm really nervous about the black.

Allora Vill'ani

• Success comes from being true to your soul.
Re: Concerns about cast helmets
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Smooth cast onyx. And yes it is brittle for buckets. Great for other types of props but anything that is heavily trooped and needs flex can be problematic. TheRPF members generally advise against onyx for buckets.

However. Used correctly for the correct props it can be great. Mynock did a video about it and he too does not advise it for "worn" parts that take heavy stress.

Just treat it carefully and it should be fine. Drop it and it may not but such is the case even with 65d.

Allora

Tracyn be Mando hettir o'r ner kar'ta

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Concerns about cast helmets
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Smooth cast onyx. And yes it is brittle for buckets. Great for other types of props but anything that is heavily trooped and needs flex can be problematic. TheRPF members generally advise against onyx for buckets.

However. Used correctly for the correct props it can be great. Mynock did a video about it and he too does not advise it for "worn" parts that take heavy stress.

Just treat it carefully and it should be fine. Drop it and it may not but such is the case even with 65d.

Allora
I agree with the exception to a particular 65d resin I use. I'll have to upload the video but to summarize; when thrown into the air my cast helmet tends to bounce rather than break. I've let my clan mates chuck it and watch it bounce as new unaware people cringe as it falls. :D

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!