Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Battlefront jet pack (new greeblie pg 6)

• 79 Replies

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
Battlefront jet pack (new greeblie pg 6)
« on: Jul 13, 2015, 02:19 AM »
Well here I am again, this time I am starting on my jet pack, and as the title suggests I am going to be making the pack from the new battlefront game

Here is the first photo I grabbed of the pack, I have another from the E3 Hoth video that has a slightly different angle that I am using for most of my work. so, without further ado, here is my progress so far

started with the front and back sections

began taping to see how it would all go together

and this is where it sits as of now, glue drying and ready for the recessed part to be cut and glued in place. Now I need some help identifying the greeblie circled in the picture below

I know I've seen something similar to this somewhere, but I don't know where  :'(

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2016, 03:10 AM by Vinthiz » Logged
"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla
Re: Battlefront jet pack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Looks kind of like the backs of these construction lamps:

Ka'len Bes'uliik

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2015, 11:32 PM »
Shab! If only i'd been a few days sooner on my wip ;)
Looking good, ner'vod! Excited to see where you go and totally not gonna steal any techniques for mine!

"Rage is one hell of an anesthetic."

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2015, 03:20 AM »
Shab! If only i'd been a few days sooner on my wip ;)
Looking good, ner'vod! Excited to see where you go and totally not gonna steal any techniques for mine!
haha, just spotted your's vod, what a coincidence, huh?  :laugh: can't wait to see your's progress too!
Well I have made quite a bit of progress on this thing, however I have gotten increasingly bad at taking progress photos lol

As I was writing this I noticed a glaring mistake on that bottom-most section you see in the last pic. The outside corners of it should be at an angle and I made them square, so now I have to fix that while it is glued on  :'( and a few other things on the reference photos that Ka'len posted that I am debating on weather I will fix or not

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Ka'len Bes'uliik

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Still looking great, mate! It looks good to me aside from needing a rounded corner.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2015, 08:40 AM »
First Off  , I want to Say I think this is a Fabulous Build ....
Your Doing a Great Job with the Construction , most impressive .. ;D

Next , I know what the Greeblie your looking For is ... or How to make one ... As you stated
 it looks Reminiscent of one of the pieces used on the Rebels Packs on Hoth and Endor .  ;)

I made mine pretty easily with some Common things ... I have some Good Images in my Build Thread
  if your interested .... (Page 14 -15 ) http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47732.195

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2015, 08:58 AM »
looking good, can't wait to see how this turns out.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Vinthiz

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Thanks everybody!

Next , I know what the Greeblie your looking For is ... or How to make one ... As you stated
 it looks Reminiscent of one of the pieces used on the Rebels Packs on Hoth and Endor .  ;)

I made mine pretty easily with some Common things ... I have some Good Images in my Build Thread
  if your interested .... (Page 14 -15 ) http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47732.195
thanks for the help ConDar! I even spotted how you attached the pack to your back, I might have to steal that idea too if that's good with you ;D
More progress!

bondo! so while that is sitting outside drying, I decided to cut out those little 'fins' (I guess that what they are called, the heat-sink thingy)

I foresee loads of sanding in my future :laugh:

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2015, 07:08 PM »
This is looking amazing, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2015, 02:22 AM »
Mine is a J&J (Johnson & Johnson) Mini first Aid kit ... (sold at most Drug Stores )then The Fins are placed over it (cut & shape accordingly)

Vinthiz

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Thanks Havelock!  ;D I really appreciate the words of encouragement! And that's good to know ConDar, thanks again!
Well I spent some time sanding it today before this strange clear substance started falling from the sky and drove me inside  :laugh: here's how far I got

I still have a ways to go, and more spot filler to use, but it is coming along!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2015, 01:55 AM »
Vod, this is looking seriously amazing!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2015, 01:58 AM »
I'm not a jetpack fan, but this is turning out nicely. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

ConDar Ward

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Mine is a J&J (Johnson & Johnson) Mini first Aid kit ... (sold at most Drug Stores )then The Fins are placed over it (cut & shape accordingly)

Use Just the Box , then Cut the Fins out of Foam or Sintra .... I opted for the Craft foam .. they Do a good Job
of Taking up the shape of the Surface when Glued then Having to Sand and Fill the Void normally left in a Job like this ....

Then you Can add any Greeblies that You may Want ... I used nylon & Metal washers Stacked & Glued  ... You Can paint these
  a Contrasting Color first and then glue them to make life easier  .. ;)

Vinthiz

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Thanks again everybody! Now this is a big update (at least it is to me, as this took all day  :laugh: ) It began with four of those fins being glued on with two part epoxy (I didn't trust E6000 for this job)

and I let the two inner ones dry for a good hour before moving on and this is why

in order to keep the fins spaced correctly I had to use temporary spacers and lightly push against the previous fin and hold it for about five minutes while the epoxy cured (thank the maker for music  :P ) so after doing that a total of eight times you end up with this

now if you think that the space in the middle looks a little bigger than the rest of them you would be correct. I worked from the ends inward in case this would happen, thankfully, to me, it is not totally noticeable
OH, I nearly forgot, I also started on the nozzles

I took the template for these from the Boba Fett jetpack template

ConDar Ward

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2015, 07:30 AM »
Looks Great ! !  8)

Ka'len Bes'uliik

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Looking absolutely stellar!

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2015, 07:52 PM »
This is looking so cool. It's nice to see a different jetpack than the Boba or Jango... Not that those are bad... but this is really great.

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

Vinthiz

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2015, 02:17 AM »
Thanks all!
This is looking so cool. It's nice to see a different jetpack than the Boba or Jango... Not that those are bad... but this is really great.
Thanks vod! that is actually precisely why I wanted to do this pack, well that and it looked a little simpler than a boba jetpack build  :laugh:
Well, another day, more work completed! This time on what I call the 'main greeblie'

Keep in mind that none of the extra bits are glued on yet.
Now I did use a bit of a different method than you, ConDar. I had some spare wood from my blaster build that was the perfect thickness so I cut that and shaped it to have a slight slope on the sides. However, I did take your advise on the little bits that are on it and dug through my washers and pulled a few out that looked good

Now they are just placed on there at this point, and when I go to actually attach them I will probably fill in the holes that the bolts usually go through.

and a nice close up.
So that's it for today, I probably won't get much, if anything, done tomorrow, but I will be back at it in the next couple days  ;D

ConDar Ward

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Going Very Well I see .... Do carry on ....  ;D

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2015, 07:56 AM »
This is an amazing build, can't wait to see it all painted up!

You should send some pictures to Dice/EA when it's done, i'm sure the devs would love to see it in real life :)

Vinthiz

« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2015, 06:50 PM »
And I'm back! made a little progress today, mainly with gluing, but first I made a discovery

I looked through my model kits that I won't build for one reason or another and pulled out this piece. and lo-and-behold it fits like a dream and look pretty darn cool! Anyway, back to what I have glued so far

I got those extra raised panels done, and right now the big greeblie is drying. And that's not all, I also made some progress on my nozzles

yep, not only did I find the right sized balls, I have already bondo'd them. Tomorrow will be sanding and figuring out how to attach them so the won't fall off, I have an idea that involve PVC pipe and a drill, the pipe is the right diameter for the pipe that holds the nozzles on the pack, so hopefully my plan will work. I've also been thinking about how I am going to attach it to my back, so stay tuned for that (that will mainly consist of me asking if it will work :laugh: )
This is an amazing build, can't wait to see it all painted up!

You should send some pictures to Dice/EA when it's done, i'm sure the devs would love to see it in real life :)
Thanks Koran! I hadn't even considered that, it would be neat getting their input on how it looks  ;D

NeX

• Merc# 1189 - M.V.S. #033
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Love this build.

Could you post/link the templates or measurements for this?

Vinthiz

« Reply #23 on: Jul 24, 2015, 08:56 PM »
I would post templates if I could, NeX, however I don't have any as this was all done by eyeballing/guessing the measurements as well as I could based on how it would fit on my body compared to the game. However I will whip up a few photos with my measurements, just give me a couple days and I will do my best ;D
Just a couple of extra photos for the day

glue has set and I am one happy Mando  :laugh:
Now I need a little more help, I've been staring at my reference photos endlessly and I am at a loss for one thing

Sometimes I see this (the circled area) as T or L track, sometimes I see it as a louver type setup, and sometimes I'm not sure what I see  :'(

ConDar Ward

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2015, 11:29 PM »
the Small details are Easily added later ...
 If you have the Basics your Good ....  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!