Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

curved grip blade (WIP)

• 17 Replies
curved grip blade (WIP)
« on: Jul 21, 2015, 12:41 PM »
So at work someone was throwing away an old drywall saw with a big cool curved handle. It was sun baked and looked a bit gnarly, and I thought as we all do "wait that could totally be a.........". So I rescued it cleaned it up, ground off the lettering,  and removed the blade. I'm going to cut a new blade out of sign aluminum I have sitting around at about wakazashi length, except straight. Then I'll make a sintra scabbard that I can paint to match my armor later. I intend on making the handle bend forward so I can one hand draw it. Which should be easy with this grip

It'll be a good self teaching project for my to learn sintra molding on. As far as the handle goes I primed and painted the undercoat (before I took a before pic...DOH :rolleyes: ). I'll be painting a top coat and weathering it, using O-rings in all the grooves and making a leather cuff up near the blade to cover hardware Then add a couple dangley dodads hanging from the cuff or from the pommel hole. Not sure which yet.

opinions?

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 03:55 AM by CarpeNoctem » Logged
Re: curved grip blade
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2015, 12:46 PM »
it'll get a bit of beveling on the blade for a false edge, and the on non-edge section either translucent blacked or something with texture like flex seal for contrast. If I can find my stencils I may do some design work to that section

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2015, 01:42 PM »
 :rolleyes: You may Want to Check With local Laws & Con Rules for Full Metal Blades .. or Just Use Sintra there too ..
 Just Shim where it fit's into the Handle with the Metal for Strength. ;D

Lot's of New Rules out there in the world ... You may Want to Do interchangeable blades then all Your Bases are Covered ....   ;)

Be safe ... I shall Be Watching with Interest ...  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2015, 01:47 PM »
grip looks way cool though.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2015, 02:58 PM »
To ConDar you listen, save you from trouble it can. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2015, 04:46 PM »
doing a second blade would be easy enough, But it means cutting into the handle to give it room to do so which then makes the metal one not fit.

I know most most states have separate laws regarding weapons if it is because of a re-creationist activities (which I believe any troop would count). I grew up in the S.C.A. and am still a member and we regularly have REAL weapons on us in public at public events and in city/county/state/federal parks with no issues. Some states do require rendering them un-drawable known as "peace tying". I intend on having a chicago screw desguised as a greeble on the sheath that secures it unless the greebles are undone. should prevent any legal issues if it has no sharp edge and it's secured in the sheath beyond tapmpering. And I'm not above putting it back in the car if need be.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Legality aside What color should I paint the handle? my kit and the scabbard are grey and purple but I don't want too much exact match or the details disappear and  you wont see it so I think purple is out. black wouldn't show details like the cuff and o-ring grips too well.

I'm open to suggestions otherwise it's gonna be grey

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2015, 03:53 AM »
So today I cut the sign section off.Then I did a quick paint transfer to let me know where to cut to make the handle section using the original blade.

Then I broke out the chemical stripper and removed the paint

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2015, 03:53 AM »
Then I had to get the surface from them making the aluminum sheet off

so the "blade" is now prepped for detail work. I was going to remove the end and the hole with it then put a new curve on it. But I decided I like it, so I'm going to keep it for now. currently the blade length is 19 1/2 inches. Here is what I'm thinking for the design on the blade Plus possibly some mando scrypt down near the hilt. I'll be using a spray tint so the shine of the metal shows through.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 04:00 AM by CarpeNoctem » Logged
Re: curved grip blade (WIP)
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2015, 01:06 PM »
After thinking on condar's words I have decided not to bevel the edges so there is no edge at all. I think with the contrasting detail work it should be good enough visually without causing extra legal concerns.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015, 03:11 PM by CarpeNoctem » Logged
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2015, 01:47 PM »
I got around to doing the paint on the grip and weathering it. It also got 20 o-rings for traction and makes it look worlds better. I have also decided no to do the spray tint mosly because I have black here I can use rather than 16 bucks for a can of tint.

The curved grip got me thinking of character storyline. Maybe my mando got ahold of one of the manuals for count Dookus fighting style (Makashi). With the intention of chasing down bounties on jedi, training using a blade made of Mandalorian iron (Beskar) which is light saber resistant material would be beneficial for close quarters combat, even if one wasnt force sensitive.

Anyhow here is the progress

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2015, 03:03 PM by CarpeNoctem » Logged

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Impressive. Look forward to seeing the end result!

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2015, 12:26 AM »
Well i got the blade painted and cleared. Looking good. All thats left is the collar to cover hardware and scabbard which won't be until I pick up some sintra.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2015, 01:37 AM »
This looks awesome. I want one!

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2015, 10:24 AM »
I think it looks Great ... but How bad is the Flexing or Wobbliness at that length ?

If it isn't too bad I'd say move on to the Scabbard .... but if it is pretty Flimsy You could add some Bracing to the Sides ...
 I know Your already done with painting but sometimes it's a necessary Evil ..  :rolleyes:

Keep up the Great Work ... I look forward to seeing more ...

p.s. Not Having the Edge on it will be better in the long run ..  ;)

« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2015, 01:09 PM »
its wobbly only only because I have battle ready steel in the house. It's fine for pictures or to carry, just feels odd in the hand.

ConDar Ward

« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2015, 01:33 PM »
its wobbly only only because I have battle ready steel in the house. It's fine for pictures or to carry, just feels odd in the hand.

Well then it's up to Taste and/or Re-visioning your Blade Concept ..
 If you fine With it then Your done ..   ;D

but ..... if it Were Me and if the Blade is Still Removable  ? ...I'd Make other Blades from other
   Materials in different Configurations. ( ie .. Swept back , Broad Sword , etc ...) perhaps just adding a Spine to the Top or
sides could Take Some of that Wobble out ... It Could Work on another Concept ...
Then you could get it Better Balanced with a more Natural feel ... You Could Also build a hilt on to the interchangeable blade
then you Would change the Feel altogether .... The possibility's are endless if you have the Time to Explore your options .

Good luck with the Rest of your builds if you choose to make More Blades ....  ;)

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2015, 08:46 PM »
I already have a couple planned. and I may have a method to stiffen it a bit if I can find the black chrome edging trim I'm thinking of. havent used it since back when the economy was better. I used to build hot rods for a living

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!