Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Helmet - New Member Needs Help

• 9 Replies
WIP Helmet - New Member Needs Help
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 02:23 PM »
Hello I am new here and I started this helmet yesterday.  I'm not quite sure where to go from here.  Does the body of the helmet look too round and should it be more oval.  The size was done in Pepakura with a height of 300mm.  Here is the progress pictures so far.  Any suggestions are very welcome. 
I am not sure how to insert a photo so here is my Instagram with the photos, https://www.instagram.com/mikegoldengt/

Also should I fiberglass the helm before adding the ear pieces?

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2016, 02:50 PM by mikegolden » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: WIP Helmet - New Member Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Hello I am new here and I started this helmet yesterday.  I'm not quite sure where to go from here.  Does the body of the helmet look too round and should it be more oval.  The size was done in Pepakura with a height of 300mm.  Here is the progress pictures so far.  Any suggestions are very welcome. 
I am not sure how to insert a photo so here is my Instagram with the photos, https://www.instagram.com/mikegoldengt/

Also should I fiberglass the helm before adding the ear pieces?
Looks like a skips pep file. How wide is it?

QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:38 PM »
I'm not home at the moment but when I am, I'll measure it. In the pep file the width auto changed to like 530mm when I put 300mm for the heigth.

Ok I'm home now and the helmet roughly measures Around- 33in or 84cm
Across 26cm

Ok I added 2 more photos of the helmet in its current state. They are on my Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/mikegoldengt/

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2016, 04:05 PM by mikegolden » Logged

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:13 PM »
My helmets rarely get over 219mm wide much more than that and the giant helmet stuff happens.

QMU#084

Dogma

• Revenge is a dish best served cold, Kirk...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:15 PM »
How are you planning to build it up? (Once you have the size right of course).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I slush cast the inside of my pep helmets with casting resin. It's not the best method because if you're not careful the whole thing can warp quickly before it sets. But if you coat the exterior first then let it set you can slush a couple layers in and be good to go.

QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:36 PM »
I plan on using many layers of fiberglass. On my original helmet I made a few years ago I used Kevlar but I don't have any more at the moment and it is a huge pain to cut.
I plan to coat the outside of the helmet with a layer of fiberglass than remove the tape I used on the inside. Then just layer up the entire helmet with fiberglass. Once it's hardend I'll use bondo to smooth everything out and I ordered this visor,
3M Clear Polycarbonate Faceshield WP96, Face Protection 82701-00000, Molded https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009POIWNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_osAJwbAQMZXG3
I hope it works.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Dogma

• Revenge is a dish best served cold, Kirk...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:15 PM »
How do you plan to tint the visor? This is a question I'm asking partly out of personal interest, as I'm working on my own helmet.

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2016, 08:40 PM by Dogma » Logged
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:49 AM »
When I was researching my first helmet, an ODST helmet from Halo, I read that autozone has a tail light tint paint that works good. Other than that I haven't looked into what there is. If possible I'm thinking some kind of mirrored blue possibly.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:10 AM »
How do you plan to tint the visor? This is a question I'm asking partly out of personal interest, as I'm working on my own helmet.

Check out this thread.  This is how I did both mine and my wife's visor. 
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68927.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!