Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mercy - A Togruta rears it's fearsome head...the painting begins...

• 141 Replies
I am making a Togruta Mando as well. You have given me some great ideas.

oyula ke'gyce yaimpar

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Make a piece to practice on. Just practice the different techniques until you feel comfortable enough doing it on your helmet. You can have plenty of mistakes without messing up that awesome helmet!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Icar "The Red" R'vala'a

• Home is where the armor is
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events
Omg thats beautiful Vod  :D great job

Mercy

I keep thinking of how huge this helmet is, so I decided to lay it out with the dummy to get a sense of perspective.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread
I think it looks immaculate.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
You're gonna be the envy of everyone who sees you, vod. So cool.

So what's left, then? Bucket, buckle, thighs, & boots? How close are you to apping in? (I'd say "finishing," but, well, we both know there's no such thing :P )

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Titus Grel

• "A little grit goes a long way"
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
That seems very well scaled to me

"Titus Grel"
OM#1150
Urban Assault
ALUMINATI #32
"Full Metal Mandalorian"
How are you making the lekku?

oyula ke'gyce yaimpar

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Mercy...your kit gives me goosebumps every time I see it.  Sweet baby Yoda, that thing is a work of art....

Mercy

You guys are great for my motivation. Thanks :)

How are you making the lekku?

Lekku and tail will probably be sheet foam under ladies leggings, then painted with latex paint to give a skinlike texture.

So what's left, then? Bucket, buckle, thighs, & boots? How close are you to apping in? (I'd say "finishing," but, well, we both know there's no such thing :P )

I was thinking about this yesterday. Technically the helmet/lekku, buckle and belt assembled, and I could apply. I think the armored kama needs done as well, since would look incomplete without it.
Thighs, boot armor, flank armor, a few guns, and a ton of little detail pieces could be done afterwards.
I haven't decided yet whether to apply early or wait till it's complete.

The helmet paint and the lekku are the big x-factor here. I may get lucky...everything works perfectly first try...and be ready in a few weeks. But since I am a complete newbie and making everything up as I go along, I'd expect it to be longer.

Master Build Thread

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
The size looks right to me vod...excellent job!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Vaul'Nox Kryze

• Got credits? I'm in!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
The helmet size looks perfect to me, dont forget the lekku shouldn't be considered as a helmet ;3

Bookmarking your thread now! :3

Mandalorian Merc #1001
Red Fist Clan member #05

As someone who's Mando is also a Togruta, you're giving me hope that it can be done!
Bookmarking.

Mercy

Anything you can imagine can be done.
It's all about bullheaded perseverance despite all of the screwing up... :)

Master Build Thread

DocNightshade

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din...
Here's an old trick I learned for doing feathered paint edges on model planes.
Lay your stencil down on your piece using a thin layer of poster putty so that it sits a millimeter or two above your piece. Spray your paint perpendicular to the stencil, avoid spraying at an angle. The paint will overspray slightly under the edge of the stencil making your paint edge soft and not so sharply demarcated from the base color.
It's a technique used to depict faded camoflauge and markings on model aircraft and ships. As always practice first on test pieces. You may find it tricky as the horns are curved as opposed to the fairly flat panels of an airplane model.
I wish you luck. This build is truly awe inspiring!

I'm just your average everyday freak-at-heart trying to adjust to modern suburbia and family life without eating the children or going on a killing spree down at the local shopping center. Again.

Mercy

Here's an old trick I learned for doing feathered paint edges on model planes.
Lay your stencil down on your piece using a thin layer of poster putty so that it sits a millimeter or two above your piece. Spray your paint perpendicular to the stencil, avoid spraying at an angle. The paint will overspray slightly under the edge of the stencil making your paint edge soft and not so sharply demarcated from the base color.
It's a technique used to depict faded camoflauge and markings on model aircraft and ships. As always practice first on test pieces. You may find it tricky as the horns are curved as opposed to the fairly flat panels of an airplane model.
I wish you luck. This build is truly awe inspiring!

That's actually the technique I was thinking about, but I never tried it just as you said: because of the curves.
Maybe I will give it a try. At least now I know it's a legit technique.

Thanks.

Master Build Thread

DocNightshade

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din...
The key is take your time. Don't try to do it in one pass. Especially if you're not familiar with the technique. But if you do even half as good with the horn stripes as you've done with the rest of the build then I have no doubt they'll turn out spectacular!

I'm just your average everyday freak-at-heart trying to adjust to modern suburbia and family life without eating the children or going on a killing spree down at the local shopping center. Again.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!