Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mercy - A Togruta rears it's fearsome head...the painting begins...

• 141 Replies

Elekbah Dhagal

• Elek'bah Dha'gal (Yes'to Dark'Ale)
Re: Mercy - A Togruta rears it's fearsome head...
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:28 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this to you.

The Smooth-on brand of epoxy putty (called, Free Form) is stocked at:
Reynolds Advanced Materials
1727 E Weber Dr, Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 967-7727

If you have not been there; It's worth checking out.

Mercy

« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this to you.

The Smooth-on brand of epoxy putty (called, Free Form) is stocked at:
Reynolds Advanced Materials
1727 E Weber Dr, Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 967-7727

If you have not been there; It's worth checking out.

Sweet. Tempe is on the far side of the valley from me, but I make it out that way from time to time. I'll check it out.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread
Re: Mercy - Starting on the helmet
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Let me say this....

I LOVE APOXIE SCULPT!!

It's a pleasure to work with.

Horns formed and now being molded to the helmet. I had to epoxy a bolt into each horn and holes in the helmet to secure them in place while I did the work, But overall I'm very pleased with how it's going.

Next step is to finish shaping the horns, getting them perfectly symmetrical, and applying a smooth finish.
I haven't decided whether to make them real horns poking through the helmet, or the helmet formed over the horns. I suppose I won't know until I see how it evolves.

What do you think?

This is turning out so awesome! You rock!

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Mercy

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2015, 06:13 PM »
So, before I can finish the horns, I need to decide how they will be mounted.

If they are actually part of the helmet, I need to leave the flairs at the bottom so they will blend into the rest of the helmet.
If they are horns poking through holes, then I need to trim the flairs back and devise a transition between helmet and horn.

I like both approaches about equally, so I'm putting this out to the community.

Which way would you prefer?

Thanks in advance... :)

Master Build Thread

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2015, 07:49 PM »
part of the helmet, as if they were an added part of the helmet to protect the horns

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Either way, you might have to bulk up the dome a little.

That said, I'll second Havelock, this is bat-osik insane!  I LOVE IT!  :o 8)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:41 AM »
Excuse my ignorance....but are the horns/lekku of a togruta hard or soft? If they are hard, then would it be possible to even fit them through the helmet to get them into the horn holders? Though, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there also side and back lekku/horns as well? 

At the moment, the horns look substantially wider than the helmet itself. Likewise, if they're hard, wouldn't they be somewhat protective themselves? If they're soft- I would have the horns you have on there be part of the helmet and therefor made of beskar. Actually, part of the reason Beskar is so awesome is because it can deflect or protector from lightsabres right?  If they are horns, I would bulk out the sides of the helmet so they could potentially fit in there, and/or make removable looking panels on each side that would clip in after the helmet is on.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:54 AM »
I believe the horns/lekku are prehensile, which means they can be controlled by the togruta. I know for a fact that Twi'lek lekku are prehensile. so that would mean they are soft, but have a muscular structure.

That said, I would make the horns part of the helmet.

Can not WAIT to see this one finished up...especially with that gorgeous armor you're making ;)

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2015, 03:35 AM »
I'm not sure the horns (montrals) are prehensile but I believe the lekku are to a small degree. The montrals are essentially their ears and are fleshy, they are hollow to act similar to our eardrums. I would definitely go with them as part of the bucket. There are the three lekku that you'll need to mod the bucket to allow dangling out but one step at a time. So far it's a great job Mercy.

Mercy

« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Excuse my ignorance....but are the horns/lekku of a togruta hard or soft? If they are hard, then would it be possible to even fit them through the helmet to get them into the horn holders?

Shhhhh...

The horns are at least semi-solid, so technically would require a mask or a two piece helmet. This is Star Wars.... we ignore inconvenient details here... :)
Lekku are fully prehensile, just like Twi'leks, and the tail is soft too, but just kinda hangs there.

As a practical build consideration, I need to work on one element at a time: horns first, then the tail, finally the lekku.
I based the proportions from the Shaak-Ti figurine, so when finished, this helmet will be massive! Tall, wide, and deep. That's one reason I had to bulk out the shoulders of the armor so much, so I wouldn't be a bobblehead. Right now the horns put me at about 6'9"

The armor over the lekku and tail will be segmented. Hopefully this will give the illusion of being removable.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2015, 08:21 AM by Mercy » Logged

Master Build Thread

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Part of the bucket.  That's my vote.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #26 on: Aug 04, 2015, 07:10 PM »
I agree, definitely part of the helmet (now I know the details!). I think the side and back montrals should be covered as well at the top, and then the rest of the Montral should have  segmented armor. Doesn't make sense for the top pieces to be bare and the rest covered.

Mercy

« Reply #27 on: Aug 04, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Well, the tail and lekku will definitely be armored down to the neck, but for practical reasons (that is, being able to turn my head) the parts below the neck have to be  bare with maybe some small decorative plates.

I'm going to start mocking up the rest of the helm in cardstock tonight. If it comes out good I'll probably resin it over. Sintra doesn't seem to like compound curves.

Master Build Thread

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:46 PM »
No, compound curves are very difficult in Sintra

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #29 on: Aug 07, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Commenting so I get updates :D

Gotta say, this is one of the most complex helmets I've seen anyone attempt here, but I'm rooting for you :)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!