Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mercy - A Togruta rears it's fearsome head...the painting begins...

• 141 Replies

Mercy

Hey all.

Well, I'm ready to dive in headlong...
This is by far the most complex part of my build, so I'm sure the going will be slow. I appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions along the way.

I have an old HBF that I butchered a few years ago, so that will be the dome for this build. The interior was fiberglassed for rigidity, and the face and ears had been completely removed, so first steps are to build a custom face.

I curved a piece of sintra around the entire front and drew the shapes for the tee and cheeks. Obviously, there is no template available for this shape, so the cheek pieces were created from scratch...rough cut with thick paper, trim, fit, re-shape, step back and look, scratch head, throw out and start over, rough cut, trim.....repeat as necessary. You wouldn't think that cheeks could be so tricky to get just right.

You might have noticed from the other threads, but I love a thick, dimensional look to everything. So another full piece of sintra was laminated on to the first layer.

Once the adhesives cure, the final shape of the tee gets trimmed out, exposing the cheeks underneath. Then apoxie sculpt to fill and smooth.
Once I can confirm that polyester resin will not melt sintra, I'll lay a quick layer on the inside to stiffen up the whole thing. I hate warped helmets, so I'm going a bit overboard to make sure that doesn't happen.

I also planned ahead for the visor, making sure that there would be a 1/2" flat flange all around the tee cutout to make sure it will mount flat and even.
Face should be done by tomorrow night (hopefully), then on to the montrals/lekku. Here's a hint of the next steps coming up...

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2015, 10:51 PM by Mercy » Logged
You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: Mercy - Starting on the helmet
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2015, 01:41 AM »
As always- lovely job. It seems like the visor-T will be fairly narrow compared to the usual buckets.

I'll be watching this one with interest. I find your lamination techniques to be very inspiring :)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Very nice! I like the lekku/montrals detail and you're off to s fantastic start!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2015, 01:21 AM »
I think your ideas are genius. I'm actually thinking of just buying a large boba fett helmet and bondo-ing the crap out of it.

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2015, 01:27 AM »
Holy crap dude. This looks awesome so far, keep it up and you'll be a real Togruta in no time.

Mercy

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2015, 02:10 AM »
OK, lots of work done today on the kit, but mostly little detail work underneath the hood, so not very exciting.
But, here's a little of what's going on...

Exposed the cheeks today. The photos don't show the cool little difference between now and yesterday...but you can trust me :)
Only stinker is that I'm super anal-retentive about things, and I noticed that there is a height difference between the left and right cheeks of about 3/32" which throws the curves off a touch. Gotta build one side up just a hair to make them match.

The horns began as a substructure of foam-core. This way I could make the left and right sides identical. (yes I'm picky about symmetry lol!)
I then wrapped then in paper strips and stuffed them with poly fill to force them into a round shape.
Tomorrow they will get a coat of fiberglass to make them rigid. I hate using bondo, but I'm pretty sure there will be no way to avoid it.

Once the horns are finished and attached, that paper triangle in the middle will become a sintra layer used as a base for an akul-tooth "trophy".
I Keep thinking about animal trophies fitting with Togruta culture, but they clash with my backstory/personality, so these ideas may change.

Master Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Loving the idea and its looking great so far. Although filling the horn section with polyfilla is going to make them extremely heavy depending on the weight of the rest of the helmet might make it slide off to one side.

Have you thought about using expanding foam instead? Can spray it in the gaps and cut away at the excess, it's also much lighter than filler.

Edit: just re read and saw that you have already done that section, how did it turn out?

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2015, 07:02 AM by Godgoblin » Logged

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2015, 09:35 AM »
instead of bondo try Apoxie Sculpt.  It's a 2 part putty that is oderless and fumeless so it can be used inside safely.  it's also very easy to smooth (just a bit of water) and has a 2-3 hour working time once mixed together.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Mercy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Loving the idea and its looking great so far. Although filling the horn section with polyfilla is going to make them extremely heavy depending on the weight of the rest of the helmet might make it slide off to one side.

I think we're talking about two different things. This polyfill is an ultra-fine nylon "fluff" that weighs about 2 pounds to fill a garbage bag. :)

I just started working with apoxie sculpt (it's the gray stuff in the seams of the cheek parts). I have yet to try it on anything bigger...I'll give it a shot.

Master Build Thread

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Vod, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  You are absolutely, totally, completely, bat-osik insane!  And I cannot WAIT to see this bucket finished!  :laugh:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Mercy

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Vod, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  You are absolutely, totally, completely, bat-osik insane!  And I cannot WAIT to see this bucket finished!  :laugh:

Lol! I'll take that as a compliment :)

Master Build Thread

Elekbah Dhagal

• Elek'bah Dha'gal (Yes'to Dark'Ale)
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2015, 07:11 PM »
I think we're talking about two different things. This polyfill is an ultra-fine nylon "fluff" that weighs about 2 pounds to fill a garbage bag. :)

I just started working with apoxie sculpt (it's the gray stuff in the seams of the cheek parts). I have yet to try it on anything bigger...I'll give it a shot.

Could you post details on the "polyfill" you mentioned.  Like to look into it.  Thanks

Mercy

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2015, 07:45 PM »
WalMart craft section...near the pillow foam.
Poly-Fill polyester fiber fill (for stuffing pillows, teddy bears, etc.)
It looks like a plastic bag filled with a huge cotton ball.

Master Build Thread

Elekbah Dhagal

Mercy

« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Let me say this....

I LOVE APOXIE SCULPT!!

It's a pleasure to work with.

Horns formed and now being molded to the helmet. I had to epoxy a bolt into each horn and holes in the helmet to secure them in place while I did the work, But overall I'm very pleased with how it's going.

Next step is to finish shaping the horns, getting them perfectly symmetrical, and applying a smooth finish.
I haven't decided whether to make them real horns poking through the helmet, or the helmet formed over the horns. I suppose I won't know until I see how it evolves.

What do you think?

Master Build Thread

Elekbah Dhagal

Re: Mercy - A Togruta rears it's fearsome head...
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:28 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this to you.

The Smooth-on brand of epoxy putty (called, Free Form) is stocked at:
Reynolds Advanced Materials
1727 E Weber Dr, Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 967-7727

If you have not been there; It's worth checking out.

Mercy

« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this to you.

The Smooth-on brand of epoxy putty (called, Free Form) is stocked at:
Reynolds Advanced Materials
1727 E Weber Dr, Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 967-7727

If you have not been there; It's worth checking out.

Sweet. Tempe is on the far side of the valley from me, but I make it out that way from time to time. I'll check it out.

Master Build Thread
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Let me say this....

I LOVE APOXIE SCULPT!!

It's a pleasure to work with.

Horns formed and now being molded to the helmet. I had to epoxy a bolt into each horn and holes in the helmet to secure them in place while I did the work, But overall I'm very pleased with how it's going.

Next step is to finish shaping the horns, getting them perfectly symmetrical, and applying a smooth finish.
I haven't decided whether to make them real horns poking through the helmet, or the helmet formed over the horns. I suppose I won't know until I see how it evolves.

What do you think?

This is turning out so awesome! You rock!

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Mercy

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2015, 06:13 PM »
So, before I can finish the horns, I need to decide how they will be mounted.

If they are actually part of the helmet, I need to leave the flairs at the bottom so they will blend into the rest of the helmet.
If they are horns poking through holes, then I need to trim the flairs back and devise a transition between helmet and horn.

I like both approaches about equally, so I'm putting this out to the community.

Which way would you prefer?

Thanks in advance... :)

Master Build Thread

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2015, 07:49 PM »
part of the helmet, as if they were an added part of the helmet to protect the horns

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Either way, you might have to bulk up the dome a little.

That said, I'll second Havelock, this is bat-osik insane!  I LOVE IT!  :o 8)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:41 AM »
Excuse my ignorance....but are the horns/lekku of a togruta hard or soft? If they are hard, then would it be possible to even fit them through the helmet to get them into the horn holders? Though, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there also side and back lekku/horns as well? 

At the moment, the horns look substantially wider than the helmet itself. Likewise, if they're hard, wouldn't they be somewhat protective themselves? If they're soft- I would have the horns you have on there be part of the helmet and therefor made of beskar. Actually, part of the reason Beskar is so awesome is because it can deflect or protector from lightsabres right?  If they are horns, I would bulk out the sides of the helmet so they could potentially fit in there, and/or make removable looking panels on each side that would clip in after the helmet is on.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2015, 02:54 AM »
I believe the horns/lekku are prehensile, which means they can be controlled by the togruta. I know for a fact that Twi'lek lekku are prehensile. so that would mean they are soft, but have a muscular structure.

That said, I would make the horns part of the helmet.

Can not WAIT to see this one finished up...especially with that gorgeous armor you're making ;)

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2015, 03:35 AM »
I'm not sure the horns (montrals) are prehensile but I believe the lekku are to a small degree. The montrals are essentially their ears and are fleshy, they are hollow to act similar to our eardrums. I would definitely go with them as part of the bucket. There are the three lekku that you'll need to mod the bucket to allow dangling out but one step at a time. So far it's a great job Mercy.

Mercy

« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Excuse my ignorance....but are the horns/lekku of a togruta hard or soft? If they are hard, then would it be possible to even fit them through the helmet to get them into the horn holders?

Shhhhh...

The horns are at least semi-solid, so technically would require a mask or a two piece helmet. This is Star Wars.... we ignore inconvenient details here... :)
Lekku are fully prehensile, just like Twi'leks, and the tail is soft too, but just kinda hangs there.

As a practical build consideration, I need to work on one element at a time: horns first, then the tail, finally the lekku.
I based the proportions from the Shaak-Ti figurine, so when finished, this helmet will be massive! Tall, wide, and deep. That's one reason I had to bulk out the shoulders of the armor so much, so I wouldn't be a bobblehead. Right now the horns put me at about 6'9"

The armor over the lekku and tail will be segmented. Hopefully this will give the illusion of being removable.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2015, 08:21 AM by Mercy » Logged

Master Build Thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!