Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Karl Dha'Werda's Weapons WIP

• 10 Replies

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017
Karl Dha'Werda's Weapons WIP
« on: Jul 25, 2015, 01:07 PM »
Rough Cut Blaster April 10th, 2015

One of the requirements is to have a weapon with your costume.  I didn’t have one, so I went down to the local thrift store to see what they had.  I found this rough cut nerf gun for five bucks (see image below; taken apart to see inner workings).

The last one seemed Star Wars enough so I started making mind look similar to that one.  I took mine apart and filled it with a green LED light wire with a battery pack.  After removing most of the inner workings I was able to get the lights inside the gun.  I also used a paper towel roll to be modified later into a scope or something.

I then made a mockup of me in my armour with this gun to see how it would look with belt pouches and a holster (ignore cod piece way out of proportion).

It became too hard to figure out how to make this Star Wars enough and not so much "Nerf" so I tossed the idea out the window.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Modified DL-44 July 18th, 2015

A few months later I was looking at Han Solo’s DL-44 and decided to make a similar blaster for my weapon.  I went to a few stores in town before find the base toy gun I wanted to use at K-Mart (I’ve been back and can’t find it anywhere to make a second one).

First thing I did when I got home was take it apart and get rid of the annoying sound it made by removing the speaker.

I then used a piece of electrical 1/2″ conduit from Lowe’s.  I flattened one side and drilled holes through it and the plastic gun base.  I also cut a small hole in the conduit (barrel) and shoved all the blue LED lights into the barrel.  It will be a stun gun (blue) as “He’s no good to me dead.” -Boba Fett (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back).

Bolts where put through the holes and bolted down tight; which also solidified the gun itself.  On the end of the barrel I attached a 1/2″ coupling with a 1/2″ to 3/4″ copper fitting for the flanged/flared barrel tip.  The light still works at this point with blue light coming out of the barrel.

Originally I wanted to put a mini mag light on the top to look more like Han’s DL-44, but I couldn’t find it.  I used a mini LED flashlight instead.  I also put on a random metal plate to give it a different feel, than a toy gun from K-Mart.  Then came the metallic/chrome paint to make the blaster look like metal.

I then painted it black to look like a blaster, using electrical tape on the handle to show wear and daily use.  Where the tape is, needs to be replaced with something else suggestions appreciated.  The front where the barrel connects to the base also needs some work; suggestions please.

If anyone knows where to find the original toy gun online, let me know.  I want to make a second blaster to have two holster on each leg.

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 09:16 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 63
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Darklighter's Weapons WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2015, 03:44 PM »
The latter gun seems like it might be approveable. The Nerf, however, still screams 'nerf' to me. It's hard to get Nerf guns not to, especially that one.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Karl Dha'Werda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Ya, I've pretty much abandoned the nerf gun.  Looking to make a second blaster to have two at the hip.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Modified DL-44 (second attempt) October 4th, 2015

Well the second blaster based off of the last post never happen.  I decided to try and match the DL-44 base with a airsoft Mauser C96 metal base gun.

The original DL-44 seen different in each film looks like this one (see below):

I drew up some concept ideas trying to figure out what parts where used for this blaster.  I immediately saw a maglite being used as the scope.  My design however was to mount the scope on top instead of on the right side of the blaster.

A trip over to Lowe’s to get some conduit piping, couplings, and a copper flange.  I also went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap “maglite” to use as my scope.

I painted it up and it looked good (except the barrel when I JB welded it has a upward curve).  The two blasters side my side, I think the new one looks a ton better.

About a month later and some new parts I redid the look of my blaster and added a hydraulic hose coupling for my barrel tip (found at an Army Surplus store in Idaho while passing though).  The air cooling vent is vertical on my model and came out of an old computer.  I also added extra support to the scope by pulling the part that held my laser on an old air soft gun.

Overall the comparable look between the two is satisfying to my level of perfection enough to use as one of my weapons (more to come in the future).

Blog Post here: https://mandalorianarmour.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/blaster/

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2016, 03:57 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2016, 11:30 AM »
DL-44 Blaster March 19th, 2016

This was my 3rd attempt at making a custom DL-44 blaster out of a WW2 Mauser.  This time I used a CM712 instead of the smaller C96 pistol.  It is a little bit larger and works well to fit my finger on the trigger while wearing gloves.

As you can see in these pictures (descriptions will be below photos), my original blaster was based off of a C96 Mauser.  There are different aspects I gained from using this version to create my custom blaster and that I would learn to modify my next blaster.  The CM712 Mauser seen behind my original blaster is slightly bigger.

My first step was to remove these hydraulic connectors from the hoses I got at an army surplus store in Shelly, Idaho.  They were $6.99 a pop, and the actual fitting goes for about $40 bucks online brand new.  I cut off the tip of my CM712 and placed this tip on on the barrel.  It gives it a Star Wars kinda effect.

Next I got a 45 degree picatinny rail and heated up my scope mounts to go over the top of the rail.

I shortened the scope by a few inches to make it more screen accurate to the DL-44 blaster and mounted these rings onto the scope.

This is sort of how I wanted to mount my scope to my blaster (pliers on top of to hold in place for the photo).

A quick couple tacks with the welder and then it was time to use JB Weld to do the rest (since the CM712 is mostly aluminium/very thin metal).  I also added a threaded pipe that I had cut down to give the shape of the air cooling vents on the front of the blaster.

The JB Welding begins.  I added a small metal plate under my scope mounting bracket to push it up and away from the blaster a little bit.  I also used the nuts from the picatinny rail to adhere to my “mounting bracket.”

It feels good and looks close to the DL-44 blaster Han Solo uses in Star Wars.  A little bit of black paint mixed with rustic brown, gold, and gunmetal grey gives the blaster the weathering effect.

Blog Post here: https://mandalorianarmour.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/dl-44-blaster/

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 11:01 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2016, 04:03 AM »
DLT-20A Blaster Rifle March 27th, 2016

Quote from Star Wars wiki:

“The BlasTech DLT-20A blaster rifle was a long-barreled rifle (sometimes referred to as a ‘longblaster’) with a top-mounted rangefinder and electronic sight. It had automatic and semiautomatic settings, and possessed a rate of fire very close to that of the DC-15A blaster rifle and other longblasters. This was one of the few blaster models produced with a magnatomic adhesion grip, keeping the weapon firmly in the wielder’s grip and making it more difficult to disarm. With additional collimating rings and longer conduits of galven circuitry, these rifles have improved consistency in their shots.

Photo: The DLT-20A blaster or laser rifle used by IG-88 is found in my copy of the Star Wars Visual Dictionary (1998).

“The DLT-20A required a power pack to operate which was able to hold 30 shots.  The weapon cost 1,300 credits to purchase but its sale and use was restricted to legitimate military organizations and police forces only.”

“The DLT-20A was similar in design to the BlasTech A295 blaster rifle and the E-17d sniper rifle favored by the Rebel Alliance. From the design of the DLT-20A came the A280 blaster rifle.”

“The notorious droid bounty hunter, IG-88, was also known to use this weapon. Because of its increased precision, the DLT-20A was often a prized weapon on the black market.“

My friend, a recruit my clan is working with on his kit wanted to make his own blaster rifle in addition to his square block blaster.  We searched my visual dictionary (from 1998, ironically the same year he was born) to find a blaster rifle he could convert from some of his many broken air soft guns.

The DLT-20A Laser Rifle was his weapon of choice.  We went to Lowe’s and got a variety of parts including the 1/2″ PVC pipe seen below.  Clonebountyhunter used a hole saw to drill the cooling vents in a spiral pattern down his barrel.

Once the holes were drilled out we stuck a tip on the top (something he found at Lowe’s that look like it would work).

Then we mounted the barrel to his broken air soft gun, using the diagram pictures to gauge how long to make it.

We started painting the gun a gloss black to give the barrel the desired look, with metallic mist overlaid into the black to give it a metal look.

We added some leather strapping for the grips, to make it more Star Wars like (think Dengar).  Electrical tape seen below is to hold parts and pieces in place while glue/JB Kwik set and solidified.  Lots of kit bashing was used.

Pictures below; Clonebountyhunter with his work in progress (WIP) blaster rifle.

Two Star Wars guns for Clonebountyhunter that are still works in progress, but getting there. DLT-20A and blaster handgun (another post will be about this blaster).

DLT-20A and blaster handgun. The blaster rifle needs a scope and some other odds and ends.

Rifle and blaster side by side. Rifle still has JB weld drying, hence why there is electrical tape holding on the scope for now.

Clonebountyhunter and his DLT-20A rifle.  Looks pretty sweet!

It'll will need some work to get approve, but the base is there and Clonebountyhunter can focus on his kit.

Blog Post here: https://mandalorianarmour.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/dlt-20a-blaster-rifle/

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016, 12:41 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Square Block Blaster March 19th, 2016

Clonebountyhunter also wanted to use a blaster at his side for this kit.  This blaster was what he was using from my original concept design.

It came along way from its original form (as seen below next to the box):

Yet, it wasn’t up to par “The latter gun seems like it might be approveable. The Nerf, however, still screams ‘nerf’ to me. It’s hard to get Nerf guns not to, especially that one.” – Malakier Vhett

Months later, I looked at this gun again (after Robert had taken it for his own blaster) and thought what if I sawed off the barrel tip and replaced it with the similar fitting I used on my DL-44.  After holding it up to the barrel a few times, we realized it would look cooler if we sawed off the barrel completely.

I added some leather straps to the grips and wow, it made a world of a difference.

Now Clonebountyhunter has both a rifle and a sidearm for his kit, although both will need improvement before submitting with his application:

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 09:12 AM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

Re: Karl Dha'Werda's Weapons WIP
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Update on weapons build, also swapping my blog over to the forums for others to research their own.

EE-3 Carbine Rifle  March 11th-15th, 2016

I did some research online until I found this picture of components someone had used to built their own scratch build of the EE-3 Carbine rifle that Boba Fett uses.

I immediately spotted the revolver grip and trigger (descriptions fall below each photo).  I realized I had a grip and trigger to a revolver BB gun that I had used the barrel of for my right gauntlet.

After printing off some blue prints of how a EE-3 can be assembled, I got to work building my own.

I first used an old exhaust pipe I had laying around in the garage to cover the chamber area of the revolver.  I then used some spare sheet metal to cut out the bracket (overlayed twice for strength).

This worked well and I removed the grip to put in the place I wanted weld it to.  I also got some more exhaust pipes from O’Reilly auto parts around the corner.  Then I proceeded to JB weld my pipes together and the bracket to my grips.

It started coming together, kind of like how your kit comes together pretty quick after you get your bucket.  I also picked up a buttstock at a local gun shop (for free I might add, because it was broken and that didn’t matter since I was cutting off pieces anyways).

The scope seen in the above photo is the one I first bought, but after looking at a few more photos of the EE-3 Carbine I noticed the scope was slightly different and I returned it.  Unfortunately when I was tacking on the exhaust pipe a little bit for getting it in place I melted the reverse side grip and needed to find out a better grip to use.

I ended up taking leather strips and wrapping them around the handle with a little super glue to hold it in place.  I then added a slight layer of black spray paint with sand and dirt to give it the weathering effect.

The barrel was made from wiper blades (not the blades themselves, but the place you attach the blade to).  The tip of the barrel came off of a paper towel tube after the roll was used up at work.

The end result looks pretty sweet and I was surprised by my handing work in only 4.5 days of coming home after work to build it.

It fits good in my hands and the trigger can still be pull, makes for fun sound blaster noises (pew pew pew).  :D

Overall it turned out to be a pretty awesome rifle for my kit.

Blog Post here: https://mandalorianarmour.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/ee-3-carbine-rifle/

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:28 AM »
I commented earlier today on someone's post about a weapons question and liked what I wrote so I want to add it to my WIP for weapons:

If at all possible avoid modifying "nerf" guns, you'll end up putting way more work into it then worth.  I'd start with a WW2 era airsoft gun and work from there.  If you notice most weapons in the Star Wars universe are based off of WW2 era weapons. 

Examples:
DL-44 (Han Solo's heavy blaster) = Mauser C96 or M712. 
EE-3 carbine rifle = Webley & Scott #1, Mark 1 Flare Gun. 
DLT-19 heavy blaster rifle = Lewis Light Machine Gun. 
British Sterling SMG = E-11 blaster (Stormtroopers) or DH-17 blaster (rebels). 
Sturmgewehr 44 = Blastech A280,A280C, & A295

Most can be bought as an airsoft gun and modified to become a Star Wars universe weapon.  Some will be harder to find, others will use your imagination.  Heck I made a EE-3 out of an old BB revolver, broken butt stock, exhaust pipe, a scope, and windshield wiper blades.

As far as weapon mounted defenses, I had a friend look into a shield generator used by the Death Watch.  Could use something like colored acrylic or Lexan for the shield, giving it the universe look.  Wood or metal shields would be early crusaders.  Lowe's, Home Depot, or  Menard's would probably have acrylic sheets or Lexan.  I suggest, get a basic kit approved and then focus on add-ons to make your kit even more awesome.

We've got a Vod in my clan that toyed with this shield generator idea.  Still an option at some point that would be a fun build.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Had some fun with my carbine rifle this New Years Eve with a roman candle.

I hope to try it again in kit this upcoming Independence Day or at least wear gloves and use a lighter instead of matches for New Years Eve in a year.

*Also note that someone accidentally dropped this rifle at a troop in December and the windshield wipers will need to be stuck back on.

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2019, 12:22 PM by Karl Dha'Werda » Logged
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Karl Dha'Werda

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Had some fun with my carbine rifle this New Years Eve with a roman candle.

I'm thinking about kitting up to do this again this Tuesday night 12/31/19.  Temps are supposed to be not in the negatives this year.  ;)  I will post an update if I do it.

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!