Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Beskad planning/build thread

• 5 Replies
Beskad planning/build thread
« on: Jul 27, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Hi all,

So Im planning to have a nice big Beskad as part of my load out and I have a rough design laid out already. The writing is just "Sword" for the time being:

I think the cut out and extra leather might make it look too busy but was just throwing around ideas.

Also I was planning on making it out of Sintra but I don't have enough to make it as well as armour at this point. So instead I'm thinking cardboard coated in fiberglass matting and resin? Obviously finished with Bondo, sanded and properly finished but just want to check that's an OK material to use?

Thanks in Advance!

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015, 08:16 AM by Godgoblin » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Beskad planning/build thread
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:28 PM »
I like the look of if.  I don't think it's too busy at all.  And as far as I'm aware, fiberglassed cardboard, etc, etc, should be fine.  You'll want someone with a broader base of knowledge to chime in to make sure, though.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Fiberglassed cardboard is an accepted material by CRL standards, although those 'accepted materials' only apply to armor and helmets, you can make your beskad out of spit and ducttape for all the CRLs care.  That being said, it would still have to be up to the quality of the rest of your costume, but if you can achieve that quality with spit and duct tape go for it.  If the material question is more a concern of strength and durrability, then you're also fine, fiberglass/resin makes a pretty strong shell.  although if you really want it to be sturdy I'd suggest cutting it out of a single piece of wood.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Looks like a nice design, I wouldn't worry too much about the cut, one of the actual Mando swords had a cut in the middle. Though it might hurt the strength of section of your sword, at least the shorter part. Which might or might not be as much of an issue depending on what you make it out of and such, but most materials it shouldn't be a major issue. The leather strap might be too much, but if you like it then you should totally do it.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Gedinika

• OYA!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2015, 12:43 PM »
I really like your beskad designs! Personally, if I were doing this and keeping the leather wrap, I'd have the wrap but not the part that hangs off. It looks like it would get in the way of fighting.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2015, 11:10 AM »
So quick update, I've built the base of of layered cardboard with a flattened pvc pipe as a core and handle. Given it a fiberglass coat and its rock solid so I have no worries about it being flimsy now!

Done some bondo work but have now finished the pot so once I get another I'll hopefully finish it off.

I've also got a box of random leather scraps from a different project that i will use to wrap the handle.

So thats all for now, hopefully will get some more done this week!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!