Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jetpack Rocket Tips??

• 13 Replies

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
Jetpack Rocket Tips??
« on: Aug 06, 2015, 10:39 AM »
So I am working on a custom jetpack (which has a small backpack compartment for cons) and I am stumbling into some trouble I was hoping you could all help me out with. I am pretty good with the overall shape of the pack and am pretty content with all you see here:

HOWEVER my biggest problem is the jetpack rocket tips.

What I have done so far is take Styrofoam cones and shaped them into the shape below and went over them with Bondo, but I think they look like crap. I can't get the overall shape down and the are bumpy and look funny.

What does everyone else use? Or do you all have any suggestions??

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Jetpack Rocket Tips??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Honestly?  Since it's a custom Jet pack your rockets can be somewhat custom too.  Go to the hardware store and crafts store and look around at containers and stuff in the gardening and paints section, you might find something that inspires you.  Failing that, LOOK AT THE MODEL ROCKETS AT THE HOBBY STORE.  You can usually get one that has some pretty interesting shapes for about $20

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:15 PM »
hi vod, it's a little hard to gauge the size of your jet pack by looking at photos but you could start looking at plastic bottles eg coke bottles water bottles detergent bottles they are a nice uniform shape and you can cut them take the dome section and reinforce with bondo or putty from the inside... just an idea. also go to the jet pack section and check out darth vorhees wip the mans a genius and may be able to give you some expert advice. looking good so far good luck with the rest of your build.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:24 PM »
The cones on my pack are actually plastic wine goblets with the stems and "lip" removed.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Thanks so much. I'll definitely take these ideas. Now I just gotta find a hobby shop near me, they are nearly extinct in my neck of the woods, haha.

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Thanks so much. I'll definitely take these ideas. Now I just gotta find a hobby shop near me, they are nearly extinct in my neck of the woods, haha.

try Michaels or a similar craft store, they sometimes have a selection of model rockets.  Also look on line for Model Rocket parts, you would probably be able to get just hte nose cones for much cheaper than buying a full rocket.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2015, 10:12 AM »
try Michaels or a similar craft store, they sometimes have a selection of model rockets.  Also look on line for Model Rocket parts, you would probably be able to get just hte nose cones for much cheaper than buying a full rocket.

so the diameters of the holes are 4" for the center rocket and 3" for the 2 side ones, so I have to find something along those lines. I hope they make gigantic rockets, haha.

I plan on hitting up AC Moore and Michael's today at some point hoping I find something. I did look at Darth Voorhees' WIP and like how he used Solo cups for the rocket on his pack, I may end up trying that and doing a little something-something to make it my own. Like it was mentioned, it's a custom so I can do whatever I want. I had it in my mind to have tips similar to the Arena Pack and just needed to hear "do it your way" LOL

Jorad Werde

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2015, 10:16 AM »
nose cones that big are available, but you'll probably not be able to find them in stores, you'd have to go online.  A simple google search of model rocket nose cones revealed a lot of options

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2015, 02:50 PM »
So I looked into Model Rocket tips and got impatient (mostly because I want to get this done, but partially because I want to have my entire kit done by Oct 1st for NYCC the following week).

I found two 3-inch Christmas ornaments at A.C. Moore, which will be perfect for the side rockets (hard to see because they are clear, but I have sanded them and sprayed, now waiting for them to dry).

Well I looked at http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88786.15 as suggested and loved his idea of Solo cups. Unfortunately, my center rocket's hole is too big for Solo cups, BUT I found these awesome Ninja Turtle party cups at Walmart, however when I got home I thought they kinda looked like junk.

Well, that leads me to my second idea (also from A.C. Moore), a thing plastic cone. It's kind of big, but since it's a custom jet I don't think it's a huge issue.

However, because it is thing plastic it's very flimsy. So I fiberglass resin-ed the inside, and stuck a small bit of matte at the tip to reinforce it.

As it started to dry/harden I found it to still be too flimsy, so I reinforced it with more matte, this time, on the inside of the entire cone.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2015, 09:50 PM »
 looking good vod.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2015, 05:12 AM »
Make sure you sand that clear plastic really well. Otherwise paint will just chip right off.

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Make sure you sand that clear plastic really well. Otherwise paint will just chip right off.

Haha, I made sure too. I have made that mistake before.

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2015, 02:18 PM »
I  may be a little late but ill add this input.

I used Aluminum/chain link fence pose for my cones/rounded tips and they fit perfect on the PVC.

Like this or pointy ones

Another options I looked at was RC Airplanes Cones. Like this Dubro 2-3/4 Spinner Red

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390282548346?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:24 PM »
I  may be a little late but ill add this input.

I used Aluminum/chain link fence pose for my cones/rounded tips and they fit perfect on the PVC.

Like this or pointy ones

Another options I looked at was RC Airplanes Cones. Like this Dubro 2-3/4 Spinner Red

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390282548346?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

That's a great idea.

I went with "make-your-own" Christmas ornaments. lol

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!