Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dash Gnar WIP, Now OM with Endless Upgrades Planned

• 105 Replies

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
Re: Gnar Gnar WIP
« Reply #30 on: Sep 09, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Pouch Progress

Painted big pouches,

Weathered all pouches

one with and one without weathering:

all pouches: (they look lighter in person)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2015, 12:43 AM »
Looking good.  I wouldn't have had the nerve to spraypaint leather.  I hope it doesn't crackmon you with movement, but you did a great job on the weathering.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #32 on: Sep 10, 2015, 12:45 AM »
Looking good.  I wouldn't have had the nerve to spraypaint leather.  I hope it doesn't crackmon you with movement, but you did a great job on the weathering.

There's actually a special spray paint for doing that... But worst case scenario I'll reprint them with acrylics, as acrylics should be able to deal with the flexing... Preliminary testing of the pouches is looking positive though.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #33 on: Sep 10, 2015, 12:55 AM »
Cool.   So much out there to learn ;)

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2015, 01:09 AM »
Not much to report for the weekend.

-Sniper: 6 plus hours of sanding and my EE-3 Sniper is almost ready for primer  >:(

-Blaster pistol has greeblies attached, and I'll hit it with primer at the same time as the EE-3 (still need to install electronics)

-Back Plate: Dremel is dead  :( so I'm at a stand still with sizing my back plate...

-Cod: Working on finding a belt to hold it in place. need to heat mold still

-Knees: Kneed to start (get it, knee+need  :laugh: lame I know)

-New Helmet: Visor came in (Yay ;D) Doesn't fit  (Argh, ???) Ordering new one, but good news is it fits my J2P so all is not lost

Speaking of cool stuff to learn...

I put together a couple of Force Awakens models this weekend, and have begun the weathering process...

First time building a model, and doing small scale weathering, pretty excited how it's turning out so far. Tomorrow I'll add streaking to the Falcon, and a day or two after that I'll add the blaster damage/smoke streaking.

Echo9

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2015, 01:20 PM »
cool!!

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:49 PM »
No photos, but I'm un schedule to be ready for application pics on Monday...

Mounting my armor with rare earth magnets for now... easy to make adjustments... will most liking go to a hybrid of bottles and magnets in the future, but for now, straight magnets.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #37 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:51 PM »
I've been curious about using magnets.   Let me know what you think.

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #38 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I've been curious about using magnets.   Let me know what you think.

there's some great tutorials/success stories over at the dented helmet... I figure its a great way to set alignment for doing the bolts anyways... let's you test out the configuration before committing to the bolts... I should have a test tomorrow night, and if all is good, then it's a little bit of shopping and painting this weekend :D

What glue do you guys recommend for layering the sintra again?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #39 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Contact cement.    I know many people use a brand called Barge but I'd guess any brand would work

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #40 on: Sep 19, 2015, 01:21 AM »
Magnets ordered for my kit... we'll see how they hold up... I bought 30, so there should be plenty. will most likely attach magnets to plates and use washers on vest so the vest can be stored easier. Will hopefully also be using these for knees along with with chest, diamond, ab, shoulder and backplate. I plan on going the old fashioned route (velcro or bolts) with the collar due to how it needs to be on the vest. I begin painting plates tomorrow :D

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #41 on: Sep 21, 2015, 12:15 AM »
well, since I'm waiting on magnets and sun before paint, I figured I'd but some more detail into my cod and knees.

Knees: Dart blocks added.

cod: bondo applied, needs one more layer then done.

Back: getting better, however it is still giving me trouble... based on previous pictures on this thread do you guys think I can get away without a back plate? CRL's state something to the effect of more than 2/3's of back must be covered by a cape for no plate to be needed. I will eventually have a back plate, but i need to get approved quick so I can do the halloween parade, and as such, i think my time might be better spent elsewhere.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #42 on: Sep 21, 2015, 02:17 AM »
based on the coverage of the cape in this picture I would say that you can get away without for now.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2015, 02:35 AM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #43 on: Sep 21, 2015, 02:33 AM »
based on the coverage of the cape in this picture I would say that you can get away without for now.

thanks for the feedback!

Hopefully I'll have primer and metallic base layer played down tomorrow on all the armor (aside from backplate) and top layers laid down tuesday, with weathering on wednesday.

Application photos will be taken as soon as my magnets come in.

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #44 on: Sep 24, 2015, 02:46 AM »
Just a quick report...

-Still Waiting on Magnets, hoping they arrive by saturday so I can get my app sent in Monday...

-Paint: Realized I was using two different brands of paints, decided since i had to wait on the magnets and mods to my knees i'd test them to make sure they were compatible... they are. The primer and black base layers have been applied. Tomorrow the metallic coat will go on, followed by the top 2 coats of color paint.

-Soft Goods are 100% ready to go minus the belt for the cod
-Weapons: My Westar 34's until custom blaster finished

-Other than final paint, weathering and mounting, I think I'm all done :D (for V1.0 at least anyways... already beginning work on 1.1 while paint is drying :D )

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!