Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

CrazyDec's First armour WIP

• 46 Replies
CrazyDec's First armour WIP
« on: Aug 12, 2015, 07:27 AM »
Hello everyone,

Starting to work on the armour templates as I'm kind of almost done with the helmet, trying to juggle a few things at once but here we are.
I had to reduce the templates from Wizard of Light and luckily I managed to find the right scale without having to reprint, I was advised to trim the collar down by a fellow Vok'Chi member and it is already looking much better. Progress belooooooooooooow!

Helmet looks like I can't see out of it but it was the angle the photos were taken at.

I know some of the alignment is out of wack, trying to work with Under Armour lycra/ spandex and masking tape... was not a good idea. The dimensions seem alright after the second attempt, I have marked on the shoulders where I would need to trim but I am leaving that until I cut it out of Foamex/ Sintra so I can fine tune it more. Also for a side note, I found this awesome like metal framework which I would like to bolt to the back, I would need to trim it down but I thought about adding a 40mm fan or a CPU heat sink. I would also use some misted plastic underneath and illuminate with blue LEDs, Thoughts?

Second Attempt! With some jiggery pokery!

Here are the adding extras I mentioned above, any advice would be great.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: CrazyDec's First armour WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Chest plates look good to me.  Your back looks a hair big, so you may wanna trim that down. I do like the greeblies ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Chest plates look good to me.  Your back looks a hair big, so you may wanna trim that down. I do like the greeblies ;D

Trimmed down some of the back plate edges. Test fitted and seemed alot better. I ordered my Sintra (Foamex) a while ago but decided to get off my butt and get some work done.

I have very roughly trimmed and sanded the armour pieces down, they need more refinement at the moment.

The back seems to be going better than I thought, I need to give it more curve some where in the middle so that it curves into my lower back better. The shoulder strap area is proving to be a problem also, I need more length and need to bend them over my shoulders better but without another pair of hands, this will have to wait.

What have you guys used as forms apart from home made mannequins etc. I used a large PVC pipe to form the back along with a heft piece of MDF to create the flatter area on  the back.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Having not so great success with the back armour. I try curving it and something digs into me, I try undoing that mistake and then it sits too far away.

So far I have flattened the side panel/ areas and tried to curve the shoulders over so it doesn't dig into me, both are not going well. Suggestions would be welcome.
Another question, does the collar piece have to over hang the shoulders or can they be separate? Trying to get them even close to aligning means that I will have one very chaffed neck, even after sanding etc.

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2015, 02:37 PM »
The backplate is not required to overlap the collar plate. The collar plate however, is required to be all the way up where you have it in the first pic you show it in. IE nearly choking you.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Nice start. Wondering about the pointy cod piece when you sit...

just a flat template so its not final, but I don't think it will be comfy either way.

so far it's
The backplate is not required to overlap the collar plate. The collar plate however, is required to be all the way up where you have it in the first pic you show it in. IE nearly choking you.

Thanks for the info, it might not be that much of a trouble to form now.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I don't think it will be comfy either way.
Touche'!

Mine is a work-in-progress, but I put some extra contours on my (ladies' bikini) cod to stay out of the way of those two tendons in the groin area.  Hopefully that will help a little.  I actually ended up trimming off even more than what I colored in chalk to get rid of in this photo:

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Brought back from the dead! Long story short, life issues got in the way and had to stop costume making. I'm back now and I have been getting underway!

So far I have formed the armour plates more to fit properly but they could still use a little more tweaking. I have cut out the knee plates and cod piece front and will form these soon. I then need to create a band that will connect the front cod piece around my waist.

The back plate is almost complete, I just need to sand it down a little bit and then check fitting again, attach velcro and then see how it goes.

PLEASE NOTE!
The collar piece looks slightly closer to the chest pieces. This is due to my camera being set down too low on the tripod and not getting the correct angle, so its a bit of a false perspective. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Hey, to carry on from the clan pre-app thread.

The advice given by the other Ruus'alor was that the orange areas need to be heated and relaxed back out, whilst the red area is what needs to be heated and formed to you slightly more. The idea is that from the side profile is should looks like a smooth flowing arc down your body.

Do you have a clearer shot of your collar? As it stands at the moment it looks to be triangular spacing, my understanding is that this is only permitted for a Canon Boba. If this is how the spacing is sitting we will need to true that up slightly.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Hey, to carry on from the clan pre-app thread.

The advice given by the other Ruus'alor was that the orange areas need to be heated and relaxed back out, whilst the red area is what needs to be heated and formed to you slightly more. The idea is that from the side profile is should looks like a smooth flowing arc down your body.

Do you have a clearer shot of your collar? As it stands at the moment it looks to be triangular spacing, my understanding is that this is only permitted for a Canon Boba. If this is how the spacing is sitting we will need to true that up slightly.

I did mention that it gave like a false persepective from the angle you look at.
I rasied my camera a whole 12 inches higher and this is what I have.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I did mention that it gave like a false persepective from the angle you look at.
I rasied my camera a whole 12 inches higher and this is what I have.

It is why I asked if you had a higher photo as you had already acknowledged they are low.

From that higher angle it is significantly improved. I think once the corner of that chest plate comes out of digging into your vest to line up with the collar depth that will be pretty spot on

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:33 PM »
It is why I asked if you had a higher photo as you had already acknowledged they are low.

From that higher angle it is significantly improved. I think once the corner of that chest plate comes out of digging into your vest to line up with the collar depth that will be pretty spot on

Glad I managed to clear it up some what, I worry that if I raise the corners upwards that it will look like the collar and chest pieces are almost touching if looking from the wrong angel. Or does this not matter as much?

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:36 PM »
When you take your App pics I suggest having your camera at approximate diamond height. This should give a true reflection of how the armor is shaped and placed.

It is something we would work with you to get correct before your approval.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:56 PM »
When you take your App pics I suggest having your camera at approximate diamond height. This should give a true reflection of how the armor is shaped and placed.

It is something we would work with you to get correct before your approval.

I appreciate your help mate, I will get onto some more forming later this weekend and maybe work more on my backplate or gauntlets. I can't believe how long I have left this project. My helmet has been practically staring at me for almost 2 years.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Glad Nick got that cleared up. I wasn't trying to be confusing, honest :P

The worst bit is that with half an hour and a heat gun I can shift plates into submission but I just live so far away from people. One day I will learn to teleport...

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Also, important bit here...

I like your Funko Pop collection.  :P

Marko.

Markonnen OM #1486

MMRS #007; Draluram #015;
MARS #051; AWOO #019
« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Glad Nick got that cleared up. I wasn't trying to be confusing, honest :P

The worst bit is that with half an hour and a heat gun I can shift plates into submission but I just live so far away from people. One day I will learn to teleport...

I heat treated the points of armour mentioned, still on the fence about some angles but I believe your guys judgment. We can all teleport one day, just not now unfortunately. But I got the just of it from the more helpful diagrams than mine. Here is what I managed to do: flattened the top edges of the chest plates, lifted the bottom part of the chest pieces and added more curve to my sexy ab plate. Thoughts?

Also cut out the cod piece and knee plates. I plan on making another band that will be split in two pieces like the original cod piece belt.

Also, important bit here...

I like your Funko Pop collection.  :P

Marko.

For your perusal :)

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:43 AM »
So much better :) You have a nice profile curve that follows down the sides now.

There may be a minor lift on the right side of your collar, but bending the ab in and relaxing the fangs has gone miles to improving it.
It no longer looks like it is trying to bend in to puncture your torso :D

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2017, 11:17 AM »
I'll take a look into the collar piece and lower it down a touch.

For cod armour, can the belt be made part be made of any material? I have some old belts that I would like to use and I can't see anywhere in the CRL specifying I can't use it?

https://imgur.com/a/aCW2u

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:35 PM »
The CRLs just state that the top edge of your cod plate needs to be covered by your soft items. So in doing so it will hide any method you use to attach it.

Mine is personally just velcro straight to my flightsuit, then my girth goes over the top edge. Others put theirs on a normal belt as their base layer and then the sash/girth goes over followed by the next layers hiding everything.

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2017, 01:47 PM »
The CRLs just state that the top edge of your cod plate needs to be covered by your soft items. So in doing so it will hide any method you use to attach it.

Mine is personally just velcro straight to my flightsuit, then my girth goes over the top edge. Others put theirs on a normal belt as their base layer and then the sash/girth goes over followed by the next layers hiding everything.

Neat! What I will do is do some quick armour panels on the belt I plan on attaching this too, then the rear piece will be foamex (sintra) again. I will add some extra holes here and there incase I gain or lose weight ;)

Also back plate pictures, forgive my chicken wings but I have to hold it in place some how. The back plate is a bit different where it comes to the shoulders and arms, I took some liberty in adding some extra angles and bends.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2017, 02:37 PM »
For an initial design, cut & heat shape that looks pretty good. There are a few areas that I see that need smoothing out/bending slightly differently.

Traditional backplates are not my strongest area (My kits have all had non traditional styles), Kris will see this and be able to comment on the final refinements :)

*Summons Kris*

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:04 PM »
For an initial design, cut & heat shape that looks pretty good. There are a few areas that I see that need smoothing out/bending slightly differently.

Traditional backplates are not my strongest area (My kits have all had non traditional styles), Kris will see this and be able to comment on the final refinements :)

*Summons Kris*

If you are talking about the areas where it looks pressed in just below the shoulder muscle area. I intentionally flattened it, to give a bit more visual interest. But as far as a fit goes, do you think it would be acceptable?

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Coverage looks good, to me that perfectly meets and exceeds the 2/3 coverage in both directions requirement.

With creating the "flats" though it looks to have introduced almost a bend/kink directly above them. It will be correcting those areas I suspect will be the challenge, this is where Kris' input will be invaluable knowing the best way of keeping your design choice but ensuring it meets App team expectations on quality

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!