Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 122 Replies

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« on: Aug 15, 2015, 01:17 AM »
Hey guys! I finally have some progress to post! Tonight I finished sanding the back plate of my armor, and with that, I'm ready
to start heating it up so I can bend it.

So my next step is going to be heating the plates up (probably in an oven, maybe I'll buy a heat gun) and molding them to my body. Then it's on to paint and attaching velcro and straps for securing them to my person. On that subject, what is the preferred method for attaching straps to the leg plates? Is hot glue enough to keep them on?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2015, 07:56 AM »
For the leg straps I would use Chicago Screws (Also Known as post screws)

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:20 AM »
Got some progress! I picked up a heat gun at a garage sale for $4, so I could get to work on the shaping part of the build. I only got one shin done, as the mosquitoes were pretty bad, and holding a giant heat source wasn't helping.

On my leg

Front

Bottom

I'm not sure if the curve I have is good enough, does anyone have any input?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:06 PM »
If it fits ur leg comfortably its fine

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2015, 10:44 PM »
I'm not dead!

I finished heat treating my plates and got them painted too!

For Comic Con, it looks like I'll go with a quick Velcro attachment, since I don't have the time to do anything more involved. It also looks like I'll have to reuse my old T-shirt vest. So no approval as is, but it is a WIP after all. Once Uni quiets down, I'll be able to get some work in and replace the vest. I'll also need to adjust my helmet for my massive head, but that's another story.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I just got some pictures of the stripe I put on my armor:

The whole kit

The leg

The torso
And now... the bad news. It seems the tape I used became a little too familiar with the paint in a few places...

The cod

And the knee.

EDIT: Fixed image links

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Also, how should the extra bits be attached to my shins/codpiece?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2015, 12:01 AM »
e6000 or plastic epoxy will do it.  If you clamp it while the glue is setting you'll get the best results.

How heavy do you intend to blackwash your kit? If you fill it in with a silver paint sharpie (which you should have anyways for trooping damage), and you give it a decent blackwash on top, it'll blend right in.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I hadn't really thought about blackwash levels yet... I'm also not sure I completely understand. Are you suggesting that I cover any e6000 or epoxy that "leaks" out with sharpie? or am I completely off?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Where the tape pulled the paint off, exposing the white sintra underneath - you can color in the sintra with a silver sharpie. The blackwash would just be to disguise the transition a bit because it may not be exactly the same shade of silver as your spraypaint.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2015, 11:55 PM »
Ah. Now I understand. I was planning on taping off the stripe and repainting. What's the worst that could happen?  :laugh:

Now, onto progress! A while ago, I bought some bathroom sets to use as gauntlets. Tonight, I got the middle part cut out and sanded down the outside:

On my arm

The both of them.

I plan on putting some aluminium paint on them at some point during the week, maybe Tuesday.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2015, 07:07 PM »
It's the weekend! That means it's time to put off studying and do some work on my armor!
First off, I've got my gauntlets painted:

And I've got my plates laid out on my temporary vest:

How does that look? I haven't put the velcro on the back of the plates yet, I thought I would do a quick poll before I made permanent changes.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2015, 11:17 PM »
Looks good on the floor, would look better on you. Let's see some sizing pics before you attach them permanently :D

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2015, 05:48 PM »
So I made some more progress! For the Con last weekend, I managed to get all my plates velcro'd up, using a technique I saw on TDH: First I cleaned the sintra with alcohol wipes, then I heated the velcro glue before sticking it to the sintra. This seems to do a good job of sticking it on; I couldn't peel it off from my test piece.

So here's how it wound up looking. I know the shoulder bells are too high, but how's the rest of the sizing/placement? I think the shins/thighs/codpiece are good, but I don't know about the chest armor. I also think I'll have to shorten my gauntlets; I couldn't fully bend my arms...

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Looks like your collar plate is gonna need some trimming on the outside. Including your chest pieces. If we can get a better picture up close well be able to help you out with the trimming.....

Nice colors!  8)

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2015, 07:13 PM »
What angle would be needed?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, your chestplates are too big. The belly plate should end at about your belly button, give or take an inch or so. Your collar should fit between the balls of your shoulders, and the chestplates should follow roughly the curve of your pectorals. If you lift your arms straight in front of you, or cross your arms, and the plates bonk together badly or stab you in the arms, they're still too big.

As for the gauntlets, with your arm out straight, about four fingers' room at the crook of your elbow will give you enough space to wear them comfortably.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 04:37 PM »
So now that classes and finals are done, I hope to finish this over the summer. On the subject of the armor plates, would it be recommended to start over, or cut down the plates I already have? And if I am cutting down the existing plates, I should flatten them out again, yes?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 05:28 PM »
I'd recommend trimming what you have, rather than starting over.  But that's up to you.  Whichever way works best for you, go for it!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 05:10 PM »

So I printed out some new templates, and before I get to far again, how does this look for size/placement?

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Something about the angle of that photo makes your melon look elongated, like you're part Muun. 

In my eyes, the collar is sitting a little low and may be a little wide.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:06 PM by Darth_Vemon » Logged
K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 07:45 PM »
As far as I know, I'm full human, so I'll blame the mirror for the noggin shenanigans. So if the template is too big, if I printed them out at say, 90-95%, that would be good?

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 08:56 PM »
As far as I know, I'm full human, so I'll blame the mirror for the noggin shenanigans. So if the template is too big, if I printed them out at say, 90-95%, that would be good?

Yep.  Give that a try.  And when you place the template for a pic, make sure the collar is almost choking you.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I'm back with another template! This one is definitely better, but is it right?

Havelock

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Looks much better, vod.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!