Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yodamann's Sintra WIP

• 122 Replies

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
Re: Yodamann's Sintra WIP
« Reply #50 on: Jul 19, 2016, 12:09 AM »
After a few weeks of doing some helmet work and soft parts work (see signature for shameless cross promotion), I have put a bit more time into my plates. Tonight was a first pass at shaping most of the plates.

All the plates I did tonight. The cod is just about the only thing I did right last time, so not much to do there. I didn't do the back or shins, since I think I need some tips. I've no idea where to start for the back, and for the shins, I was wondering how best to shape them and attach the trauma plate. I have some JB weld and bondo, but aside from the supplies, I've no idea what to do next. So any help there would be appreciated.

Chest plate. I was trying to show that I got some mild curvature in the vertical direction too. I think it turned out pretty well.

Shoulder curvature. As luck would have it, there was a roll of toilet paper that looked to be about the right curvature. It fits over my shoulder with some room to spare. Is that how they are supposed to fit?

Curve of the side of the collar plate. I feel like I might have gone overboard here.

Thigh curve. This one I'm happy with.

And finally, the curve of the belly plate.

If anyone has some tips on shaping, I'm more than happy to hear them.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #51 on: Jul 24, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Here we go, I've got some more progress for y'all!

First up, I JB Welded my codpiece together. I picked up the mini clamps at a garage sale earlier this year. A great move, if I do say so myself.

Next, I did some preliminary shaping on my shins. How's it look?

The rest of this is really just going to be more pictures of the shins, so let my just say now that I welcome any and all comments about the shaping.

Left

Right

EDIT: fixed image links

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2016, 12:06 AM by Yodamann » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #52 on: Jul 25, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Looks good to me.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #53 on: Aug 20, 2016, 12:48 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates; I was on a bit of a trip. Also, I do most of my work in the evenings, and the putty I bought needs UV light to cure. Seems like that might have been a bad idea.

On to the update!

I got the extra bit attached and mostly puttied up. Got the first round of sanding done on this one too.

Sorry about the blur, but I don't want to get up to take a new picture. Lotta putty up there.

More putty.

I hope to get more updates pushed out before the end of the weekend. Ideally, I'll get some paint down on some plates before I go back to work on Monday.

EDIT:

I figured I was all sanded up, so it was time to paint!

All laid out, ready for the paint.

Got two coats down on the plates.

Alas, I was apparently too eager to paint, as a bunch of scratches showed up. Looks like I've got a bit more work to do.

More scratches to buff out on this piece too

Thanks for checking out my build!

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016, 09:37 PM by Yodamann » Logged

NiteWolf

• Rann Novon Cat#-2088
« Reply #54 on: Aug 23, 2016, 12:27 AM »
They are not scratchy they are battle damage. When I was cutting out my armor the other day I was using a rough slab of concrete to as my work surface and didn't thing about it at that time then I lifted the cut piece up and noticed the little scratch sand dents all over and decided to make that the face of the armor

Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc - 2020
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor - 2021

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #55 on: Aug 23, 2016, 06:01 AM »
We have a stock answer for scratches like that - weathering. I'd run with it. I have several paintjobs layered over the previous ones and there's a huge amount of chips and dents in the paint from previous scratches that all show through. It just adds to the history and character of the armour.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #56 on: Aug 23, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Fair enough! Should I add a few more scratches? The rest of the plates are pretty smooth.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #57 on: Aug 23, 2016, 05:07 PM »
You could make them match a bit more, or perhaps paint a different undercolour on the more scratched one so more layers show though on the weathering so they look older.
Consistent weathering is hard to define because you can have some plates more scratched than others and have it work. You just need to show why they're more damaged. I have a side only blast - my left side is near stripped, my right side is much closer to perfect paint job still. Older plates are the usual other reason and different undercolours helps to show they've been repainted more times. Just remember to keep the dirt levels the same across them all because no matter how old the plates are they all went through the swamp last week.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #58 on: Sep 05, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Despite the lack of posts, I have been making progress!
I decided to scuff up my other plates a bit, by doing a couple swipes with a coarse grit sandpaper, then doing a few passes with a finer grit. I think it turned out pretty well. I also got the silver base layer down, and got my blue stripe applied. As part of the weathering, I used mustard as a masking fluid to get scratches. It was the first time I'd used yellow mustard for anything in years (I'm a Spicy mustard man). Anyway, you don't have to take my word for it, I've brought pictures!

Before paint

After a few coats of silver

Mustard

More mustard

Even more mustard

Yet more mustard

The (more or less) current state of affairs. I've got a few coats of blue down, and now I'm just letting the paint dry. I'll take the mustard off tomorrow morning.

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #59 on: Sep 07, 2016, 03:52 PM »
I always used tooth paste for the weathering that way i can purposely leave some under the paint if i want to modify the weathering after the fact.  No fear of weird smells or anything.  Do you see any benefit from using mustard?  I would think it would get everywhere haha  I know my tooth paste always does.   :laugh:

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #60 on: Sep 08, 2016, 12:42 AM »
Well, I think the mustard is a bit easier to spread than the toothpaste would be, and I'm pretty sure I got all of it out, so no smells there. As for results, I took the masking off today, so I'll let some pictures do the talking:

a layout with all the weathered bits. I added in the extra chest plate because it looked... wrong just having the one plate.
The water droplets are from rinsing the plates off with the garden hose to get rid of any excess mustard/loose paint.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #61 on: Sep 20, 2016, 04:19 PM »
What it do everybody, I've got some pictures to show off.

Let's get to it.

I cut down my gauntlet and sanded those suckers down. No bumpy wrists for me. And now, I can move my arms comfortably.

Here's what was lost.

Next step: painting

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #62 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:01 PM »
My local clan had a bit of an armor party over the weekend, and now I've got a shaped back plate!

Big thanks to my Alor'ad, Kranix for all his help with the shaping. I also got some tips on my flak vest, but that progress hasn't been documented... yet.

Next steps with for the armour are painting my gauntlets, getting the velcro on the backs of the plates, adjusting the shoulders of the back plate/some sanding and filling, and then painting the back plate.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #63 on: Oct 24, 2016, 10:25 AM »
After a some time working on my soft parts and helmet,  (see helmet thread for deets, ooh yeah, that's some smooth cross-promotion) I have returned to armour work.

First of all, I did some filling on the backplate, so now those cracks are gone.

Now that my vest is done, I put out a test layout of my plates. How's this look? I've got a pillow in there acting as a stand in for my torso.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #64 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:18 PM »
rotate the tops of the chest plates inwards just a hairswidth and shift the ab plate upwards a tiny bit and that'll be the spacing you're aiming for :)

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #65 on: Oct 25, 2016, 09:26 AM »
How's this look?

They're attached with velcro, so there is some wiggle room for the placement.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #66 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Looks pretty good to me. I'd get the rest of the flightsuiot and belts in place and then have another person take a straight on shot just to check for any last minute tweaks as that can shift plates around, but until you have all the others layers on to check I'd say they look pretty done.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #67 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:23 AM »
So this weekend was the Comic Con, and I managed to get my kit pretty wearable in time. I had a last minute push to get a visor in my helmet and some paint down too. Also, I had some velcro to add to the flight suit. All in all, it turned out pretty well:

First off, I know I'm missing the chest diamond. I... just kinda forgot about it, and only found it the night before the con. So I didn't have time to paint it and add in the attachment. I also still need some knees (the ones I cut out were too small), and I forgot my boots at home, so I had to stick with the comfy sneakers for the length of the con.

Aside from that, how's it looking? I feel like the thighs are too low, and maybe the shoulders droop too much?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #68 on: Oct 31, 2016, 07:50 AM »
Not bad at all for a first con kit up :)

Thighs look both oversized and drooping - I tend to attach mine to my cod/kama belt to help keep them from obeying gravity.
Shoulders look like they may be rolled around to the back a little to much. But pulling them up may help - you look pretty slim so the helmet looks a little oversized - wearing the shoulders a touch higher so they are a little more horizontal can add to your shoulder width and help offset the slight bobblehead look.
Only other thing you didn't mention is still needing a girth belt.
Other than that - just what you've already seen.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #69 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:38 PM »
On the thighs: are they just low, or pulling away from the flightsuit? Also, in what way are they oversized? Too wide, too tall, or both?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #70 on: Nov 01, 2016, 03:03 AM »
Too low - they could do with being pulled up an inch, inch and a half.
That still looks like it won't really give you enough room to add in your knees without everything overlapping so they'll more than likely need a small trim on the height as a minimum.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #71 on: Nov 05, 2017, 11:31 PM »
Well, in the roughly 12 months since the last post, I've made some progress.

First of all, I got my backplate mostly shaped and a first layer of paint has been applied:

I've also got some knee plates ready for attachment:

Finally, I also did a black wash pass on all my plates as a start for the weathering process.

On the helmet end of things, I've attached the rangefinder, and did a lot of filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding.

So here's the state of the kit currently:

I should have more time to work on this now that I'm out of university. My current (non-helmet) to-do list is:

-Sew on attachments for knees
-widen curve on shin plates so they fit over my boots
-add straps to shin plates
-adjust shoulder bell placement
-find a girth belt
-attach back plate to vest
-get/make a better pistol
-get holster for new blaster

any tips for the things on my list, and/or things I missed? In particular, what is the best way to attach the straps to the shin plates? It seems like epoxy would just pop right off.

Yodamann

• Cookie'alor
« Reply #72 on: Mar 18, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Back from the dead, it's this thread! After a winter of planning and wishing the Canadian winter was more conducive to painting, I've returned.

Not too much to show right now, I've been giving my gauntlets some thought. As it stands, they're just bare "durasteel/Beskar" tubes on my forearms. I was browsing Thingiverse and came upon this model on thingiverse of a rebel pilot comm pad. I thought I could print it out, bondo it up onto a gauntlet, add some blinky LEDs, maybe some interactivity, and baby, you got a stew going.

Long story short, I printed it out, and here's the test

Is using a part from a different costume a problem for approval?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #73 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:51 AM »
It depends on the costume you're taking from. If you wish to use technology which is mass produced - ie a rebel comm pad, then that's fine. There's plenty of places to have picked one up from. We just suggest adding a unique paint job to make it yours rather than copying the paint designs the Rebels used. So basically - avoid any items which are specific to a character, such as the mods to Han's blaster. You can have the blaster, but not his changes to it.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #74 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:56 AM »
Paint it up to match your colors, and you're good.

Thingiverse has been a goldmine for me lately, printed up a set of thermal detonators, and some parts that will eventually wind up on my gauntlets.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!