Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fan-Expo 2016

• 62 Replies

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
Fan-Expo 2016
« on: Aug 18, 2015, 11:10 PM »
UPDATE!!!!!

Fan Expo signup spreadsheet is now accessible.

I will be cleaning it up and updating it over the next 2-3 days as new info comes in and time allows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cAwaIQvAaYFE42rDsNatwGQQukxnDLGmYnJrm3_4N4s/edit?usp=sharing

Hey Vods,

Judging from what I can see, we will have quite a few OMs in the near future... Would you all be interested in doing a Fan Expo booth for next year?

We have about a year to prepare... We could build ourselves a fun booth, and use it for fundraising for ourselves, or a charity... If we want to try and make this happen, we'll have to start planning soon... What do you all think?

-Matt

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2016, 09:26 PM by Gnar-Gnar » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Fan-Expo 2016
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2015, 11:21 PM »
I don't know if we'll be ready for a booth on our own yet, but we can look into it.  Looking at their rates, if we wanted anything more than just a table with flyers we'd be looking at around $1400 for a 16'x8' booth in the retail/exhibitor area.   The floorplan lists 10x10 community booths but I don't see any info on how to get one or their rates at first glance.

We can start brainstorming fundraisers if you'd like and go from there...

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Echo9

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2015, 01:47 AM »
totally down with this!!
but that's a lot of money for us at the moment.. i think it'd be best if we can schmooze the 501st and partner with them.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2015, 01:50 AM »
I agree.  Our best option, I think, is to spend the next year and change working with the 501st, helping them out when we can, building a rapport, and trying to get the two clubs as integrated as possible together.  They are already well established here and have a great group of folks, and we're all in this for the same reason.  I'd love to see our two clubs working side by side.

That said, there is no reason we can't ALSO think about raising money and have contingencies... but I think separate booths may be detrimental.

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Agreed,

Working with the 501st may be our best bet, maybe we can try a trial run at one of the smaller cons?

I'd like to try and get a group build together for a prop... either a jail cell, or some stocks where people can pay us a bounty to bring someone in, or take photos in.

Also thinking about making a second set of adjustable armor for people to take photos in... Might be worth looking at doing a group build on... I have a spare flightsuit, and some spare armor pouches, and I'll have a spare blaster or two...

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Some good ideas.   I think I'll be having an armor party on Labour Day Long Weekend, trying to get some of the island crew over.   Can you make it?  We'll try to get you done and we can make some plans for booth display stuff.  I love the idea of getting in on the Bounty Hunt tradition so we'll need a jail cell.   I don't have space to store it though, unless we as a clan rent a storage unit or something.. which gives us overhead and is another issue to contend with...

Late Crusader WIP

Echo9

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Awww I'll be in legoland/sea world that weekend :P

The jail should be made in parts that fit together... like a bottom, poles (pvc) and a roof the they just fit into. Would make it easier for storage.

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:13 PM »
How does the hunt work is it going to be us just picking up people who have had bounties placed at our table? Definitely feeling Tue group project idea; jail cell, cantina sabbac game, something interesting and flexible for pictures. All the money we make has to be put into a charity I'm assuming or are we able to use it for example to pay table fees?

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:19 PM »
How does the hunt work is it going to be us just picking up people who have had bounties placed at our table? Definitely feeling Tue group project idea; jail cell, cantina sabbac game, something interesting and flexible for pictures. All the money we make has to be put into a charity I'm assuming or are we able to use it for example to pay table fees?

Usually the way charity works is a certain amount goes to cover overhead, and the rest goes to charity... For example, a Charity I work with in California has 90% of dollars go directly to research, 10% to events and overhead (that 10% is really small compared to most charities. I'm assuming If we are partnering with a charity we can operate in a similar fashion. We cannot get paid, but funding a both, props etc... usually can be covered, at least partially.

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Some good ideas.   I think I'll be having an armor party on Labour Day Long Weekend, trying to get some of the island crew over.   Can you make it?  We'll try to get you done and we can make some plans for booth display stuff.  I love the idea of getting in on the Bounty Hunt tradition so we'll need a jail cell.   I don't have space to store it though, unless we as a clan rent a storage unit or something.. which gives us overhead and is another issue to contend with...

I Have some space I may be able to store a broken down set into...

And I should be around for labour day weekend! :) Armor party here I come!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Bassplaya - good questions.   This is all stuff I am trying to work out, and an advantage of working with the 501st and alongside them.  They rarely have to pay for a booth and they frequently have a charity on hand to handle the cash as their garrison policy is that no money is to be handled by a club member.   So if they are raising money for the Shriners like the last event I was at, the Shriners have to provide someone to handle the money.  So if we make ourselves useful and want to work with/for the same charity they have already done a ton of legwork and effort to get connections with, that could very nicely solve some of our problems.    It would mean taking on some of their responsibilities as far as manning the "boring" part of the job, the PR station so more of them can have fun, helping organize, set up, break down, clean, transport, all that... which we would have to do if we got our own booth anyway.   

When I talked to Terry, their CO last night, he made it clear that we need to build up to that kind of working relationship.  I am friends with both of their local Event Coordinators and looking into ways that we can help them, including you guys who don't have armor yet so that we can start working on terms, conditions, and goodwill.  The more they get to know us as people, the easier it will be to start working on integrating efforts for big things like conventions.

For the bounty hunt, typically it is a Mercs thing, but I could potentially see a future in which a TK could accompany the mercs on a hunt maybe.. who knows.  That kind of thing would have to be discussed and organized.   I think it might be more efficient and mo'betta if we let them do their photo booth and we handle the hunt, but again... these things will need to be worked out in time to something we can all benefit from.  Unfortunately hey have been burned by former Mercs members in the past and some of them are a little hesitant.   We have a few hurdles to overcome in gaining their trust and respect and that has to be the second step.

If you were asking literally how the bounty hunt works, basically a con-goer would come to us with a donation and a description.   We send a hunting party out to "arrest" the target and they either spend a given amount of time in jail or make a donation themselves to make bail.

The first step, of course, is getting shebs into kits and get our numbers up ;)   Armor party at my place on labour day weekend.   I am trying to arrange rides and lodging for the island folks who want to come out so if you have a couch or spare room to offer, please PM me.  I'd absolutely love to get a prison cell for the time being and possibly grow into a cantina, space/temperments/cooperation/goodwill allowing.  Right now their big attraction is a 10'x10' vinyl backdrop of a hallway inside the death star.  If we can work up to the point that we can offer one big, interactive, joint booth where we run a bounty hunt and they can use the cantina as their photo op, I'd think we'd hit the jackpot.   All things in due time.   

So as I see it: 
1:   membership up
2:   help them run some of their events so they can get to know us and earn some trust
    2b:  They need handlers in civvies for the upcoming Paws for a Cause walk [see below for details] if anyone can come help out out of costume.  great chance for those without kits to help and contribute, and they are talking about a few fundraiser ideas to raise money for their entry fee such as bake sales at work and such
3:   show them that we have something to offer that benefits them as well so those who think we want to leech off their years of hard work and legwork can come around

Paws for a Cause event info.  Let me know if you can COMMIT to being there [please don't commit if you care going to no-show, we can't afford that] and I will pass it on.

Event Name:  Scotiabank & BC SPCA Paws for a Cause | Walk to fight animal cruelty (Flagship Walk)
Venue:  Stanley Park, Lumberman's Arch
Venue address:  3301 Stanley Park Dr, Vancouver, BC V6G 3E2
                Vancouver, British Columbia
                V6G 3E2
                Canada
Event Start:  Sunday, September 13th, 2015  - 10:30am
Event End:    Sunday, September 13th, 2015  - 2:00pm
Event Website:  www.spca.bc.ca/walk (homepage)/ www.spca.bc.ca/flagshipwalk

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:39 PM »
I know you guys don't see any of it, but I am putting a lot of time and effort into this and trying to figure out the best way to proceed where everyone benefits.   It is fun when I absolutely abhor talking on the phone and Terry hates communicating over text :-P 

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2015, 05:01 PM »
I know you guys don't see any of it, but I am putting a lot of time and effort into this and trying to figure out the best way to proceed where everyone benefits.   It is fun when I absolutely abhor talking on the phone and Terry hates communicating over text :-P

Well Vod, Let's get me to OM status, I'd love to get more involved and help build our region from the ground up. I've got lots of time to build, and have the house to myself this weekend, so I think I''ll be able to get a lot done. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help take some of the load off your shoulders... I may be young, but I've been on the board of directors for a very large non-profit and may be able to help out.

I should also be a OM in the 501st by late this year/early next year so that may help with joint boothing.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2015, 05:07 PM »

I can see how that makes things difficult! :P Thanks for doing all this work, Zophar. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed! 8)

As to the subject, I think you guys are on the right track. We don't have the numbers or experience (never mind cash flow) to set up a booth of our own, so let's work with the 501st and Rebel Legion for a little while. We could provide the Bounty Hunt, and some extra cool factor, to bring in more donations, all while learning from their successes on how to operate a club like this and building trust and relations between the groups.

If I may throw out another idea for discussion: Instead of our own booth for the weekend, we do an Armour Panel? It's a lot less commitment to only have 1-3, 45min panels to organize as compared to a full-time booth. We could do a simple explanation of who/what the Mercs are to raise awareness of our group, do a quick tutorial on how to build a set of armour, and then finish up by letting people ask questions. During the rest of the weekend we would be partnered up with the 501st and Rebels, but the Armour panel would be our own little solo thing. Would there be any issues with the other Clubs concerning that, Zophar? Does anyone else think we should/could do an Armour Panel?

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Mr 4 years to make a helmet recomending an armor panel?  :P

seriously though, I think it's a pretty good idea, although I do like the idea of helping the 501st spruce up their booth with some physical props instead of a backdrop... I feel we could build something for as much as those backdrops cost to make!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!