Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fan-Expo 2016

• 62 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Fan-Expo 2016
« Reply #30 on: Aug 21, 2015, 09:05 PM »
That's good to hear, it has not gone over so smoothly in other territories, hence my caution.

With that out of the way.  MMCC usually have the bounty hunt as their thing.
501st have the Droid Hunt,

Perhaps between the 501st, RL, and MMCC we can great a new crowd interactive game?

that would be cool, yah... we'll have to play it slow and see what comes of it..

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #31 on: Aug 21, 2015, 09:08 PM »
That's good to hear, it has not gone over so smoothly in other territories, hence my caution.

With that out of the way.  MMCC usually have the bounty hunt as their thing.
501st have the Droid Hunt,

Perhaps between the 501st, RL, and MMCC we can create a new crowd interactive game?

Canadians have contributed many firsts to the SW Clubs this could be a good opportunity for a new first.

I like your thinking,

I've got a side project I'm working on that fits nicely into that,

Will update once stuff starts rolling.

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #32 on: Aug 25, 2015, 02:51 AM »
Usually the way charity works is a certain amount goes to cover overhead, and the rest goes to charity... For example, a Charity I work with in California has 90% of dollars go directly to research, 10% to events and overhead (that 10% is really small compared to most charities. I'm assuming If we are partnering with a charity we can operate in a similar fashion. We cannot get paid, but funding a both, props etc... usually can be covered, at least partially.

FYI, we have never done this. 100% of funds raised go to the charity. Any props, sets, etc. are all funded by the membership. Let's say you raise $1000, but your costs are $500. Are you going to tell the charity they only get half of what was raised? That doesn't look good.

Sidewalker
Hett'ciri Clan Ruus’alor Sol’yc

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #33 on: Aug 25, 2015, 10:55 AM »
FYI, we have never done this. 100% of funds raised go to the charity. Any props, sets, etc. are all funded by the membership. Let's say you raise $1000, but your costs are $500. Are you going to tell the charity they only get half of what was raised? That doesn't look good.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2015, 11:09 AM »

I know what you're saying, and I need to take a very slice look at are rules, but I've never heard of a non profit or charity where members fork over their hard earned cash for events. Volunteering: no biggie, donating extra materials to make sets and props: no biggie, but making members pay $1000 for a booth to raise money for a charity is crazy. I've never heard of that. The CF foundation (one of the most successful foundations at treated no the disease they are founded for) spends $100,000 plus for their big events, but they recoup those event costs in the event revenue... So a revenue of $600,000 nets them $500,000 in profits.

The USASA (a npo) spends over $100k on their national event every year and recoup those costs through sponsorship, and competitor fees.

My point is, to put on an event, no matter who you are, is going to have costs, and the cost isn't paid for by the volunteers, it comes from the revenue generated from the event.

Now it's extremely important for an organization like us that partners with a charity to clearly state that these are our costs associated with an event and a certain amount of revenue is needed to cover said costs. (In this case the only cost is renting a booth)(props, sets and volunteers are not expenses, as they are reusable)

Like I said, I need to take a closer look at our legal info, but if we partner with a charity for events, and those events don't donate booths to us, individual members should not be footing the bill.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2015, 01:11 PM »
I was talking with my boss last night, he was very interested in helping us make a dungeon/cage/cell that would be able to be dismantled. I think between the island crew we can definitely start working on that after our kits are OM.

Speaking on the 501st, everyone who I've spoken with seems super excited to work with us, and they all seem to have great hopes for our clubs working together. We have so many new members, let's make this a new start and leave the drama behind us.

There's also no reason  reinventing the wheel. Who can we ask about the charity issue?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2015, 01:13 PM »
If we are going to be working with the 501st, then we need to respect their procedures for working with the charities.  They have a system that works already in place, as GardenGeek said, why reinvent the wheel?

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #37 on: Aug 25, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Also, Gnar-Gnar,  the key there is in negotiating booth rates when we are in a charity situation.   It is in everyone's best interest to give a charity a .. dare I say charitable rate

Late Crusader WIP

Echo9

« Reply #38 on: Aug 25, 2015, 07:31 PM »
The 501st didn't have to pay for a booth at InCON
Partly cause they're a charity and partly cause they're awesome  :)
Not sure the situation at other cons

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #39 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Gnar-Gnar, the difference is that a charity is choosing to spend money on an event. Mercs is not a charity; it's a costuming club that works with charities. In Hett'ciri Clan we have a no cash handling policy, just like Badlands and Outer Rim Garrisons. That way there's no chance for us to be accused of taking money that's supposed to be raised for charity. For all of our charity events there must be a representative of the charity on site to collect the money directly.

As far as paying for the cost of a table, it's simple: we don't. If a con isn't willing to provide us with space to do charity work, we don't have an official presence at the event.

Sidewalker

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #40 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:12 PM »
So the issue we are dealing with now is finding someone in our group who is able to speak on our behalf. My mother in law works trade shows and she told me the best way to get a better deal is to ask. Alot of the time if a show is having trouble filling booths, she'll already have one but ask for a deal on a double. One year we had three booths for taboo but only paid for one and a half.

I was thinking and I came to the conclusion that we probably wouldn't be able to reimburse ourselves. We aren't a company or a charity so we don't have justified operating costs, just what ever we are willing to give.

The.biggest thing that will change their minds is if we.can bring the crowds and keep people spending money, I'm sure they always appreciate the interactive booths, probably why 501st is so popular at cons.

Let's shoot for doubling up booths with the 501 st, show them we have something to offer while not stealing thunder( don't want a rivalry to start). Let's also do that armour building thing get our name out there.

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2015, 06:59 PM »
So the issue we are dealing with now is finding someone in our group who is able to speak on our behalf.

Until this point, it has been me.  I have coordinated with Terry in the ORG in the past to ensure Mercs participation at events.  Before that, when the Outer Rim was still a squad under Badlands Garrison, I was still in command of the 501st in BC anyways.  Jag is replacing me as Alor'ad.  Until BC members split off into their own clan, BC remains under Hett'ciri Clan.  Jag will coordinate with the Official Members in BC to ensure they are equally represented and events are organized appropriately.

Sidewalker
« Reply #42 on: Aug 28, 2015, 08:12 PM »
Something that was said that I want to emphasize because I feel like it may get swept by without people realizing how important it is.

The Mercs are not a charity. We do not collect money on behalf of the mercs and then redistribute it to various charities. Instead we will work alongside a charity and collect the donations for them specifically. Which means all that we are given in such events /needs/ to go to said charity.

That being said, the MMCC does do patch drives through its membership, T-shirt sales, auxillary member fees, supporter donations, etc. to generate funds to pay for its operating expenses and other expenses along the way. For example, the speeder build that Mandalore did was financed in part by the patch drive that was going on during the time.

Correct me if I am wrong Sidewalker, but if we wished to raise funds to pay for various events/props/etc, creating a patch drive/something similar would still be within the spirit of the club, obviously if it was kept mostly within the club, no?

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 10:03 PM by Tylek Ren » Logged
First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
« Reply #43 on: Sep 09, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong Sidewalker, but if we wished to raise funds to pay for various events/props/etc, creating a patch drive/something similar would still be within the spirit of the club, obviously if it was kept mostly within the club, no?

That would be something for Nicole to look into the specifics of with the quarter master. It's hard enough just to get a patch run going on its own, let alone adding a cost for donations. Between Peter and I we still have a ton of Hett'ciri patches. I have probably only reclaimed about 2/3 the cost of the last patch run, so I'm still out about $150. Unless you're doing a big run for the entire club (not clan specific) I can't see a patch run with attached donation being super effective. It's easier to just get the members to put in whatever their willing to, and use what you've got.

Sidewalker

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #44 on: Sep 09, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Well thanks as I learned at our last armor party, we have some amazing bargain hunters in BC! so financing prop builds wouldn't be all that expensive if we played our cards right.

I've been collecting greeblies for a potential set build myself, so we'll see what we can put together. I also have a few spare blasters and other misc. stuff lying around that fans can use in photo ops.

As for someone who communicates with events, I'd be willing to take on that role once we are ready. I've designed, built, and implemented trade show booths in the past, and have some experience dealing with trade show organizations.

I know Fan Expo was pitiful last year(as far as amount of vendors), so I have no doubt we will be able to get a booth.

We had some great ideas flourishing at our last build night, can't wait to see what comes out of our next one.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!