Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Farghul WIP

• 185 Replies

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First build alien concepts/WIP
« Reply #120 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:17 PM »
That looks great.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Draceline

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #121 on: Mar 03, 2016, 11:13 PM »
This kit looks really cool! I wouldn't have thought of the Zygerrian ears, and they're impressive.

The electrostaff and the krayt dragon look pretty darn good. I'm planning a staff or spear myself.

As for your tail, have you considered putting some armor at any point down its length? A tail is part of your spine after all, so that being vulnerable could be a very unpleasant thing. Something that is lightweight, obviously, so that it doesn't drag it down too much.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161
« Reply #122 on: Mar 04, 2016, 02:54 AM »
have you considered putting some armor at any point down its length?

Thank you!

As for the tail it is in the works actually (super secret side project with all the little scraps I have) I need to do some more field testing to see how much movement it may hinder and how much extra weight it adds on before deciding if it is viable. I also want to make sure it won't end up smacking into everyone/everything as I walk around since my tail has a natural movement to it.

Draceline

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #123 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:30 AM »
I understand completely. I had the same problem with my dragon tail when I built Toothless last year. It was wonderful, but it just kept getting stepped on (mostly by myself) because it dragged rather than being help properly by the wires I put in it.

Secure it well: maybe add a good belt loop or two to it if you haven't already. I used alligator clips on my last cat tail. It works surprisingly well.

If nothing else, it might be good just to have a plate for the base of the tail. That would be the most important part.

« Reply #124 on: Mar 04, 2016, 04:53 AM »
Secure it well: maybe add a good belt loop or two to it if you haven't already. I used alligator clips on my last cat tail. It works surprisingly well.

I didn't realize I didn't post how I made my tail back when I first started my WIP log. It was one of those things that happened in less than a day because I had a plan and slammed it out.  :P

For anyone that is curious my tail is a metal coat hanger unbent and cut to the length I wanted. I bent the top into a loop and sewed that loop into a thick piece of leather with some thick quilting thread doubled over. The leather was then turned into a loop to slip over a belt. Then I ran the wire through plastic tubing, wrapped the tubing with cotton batting, and then sealed it all up in fabric. The fabric was then sewn to the outside part of the belt loop, and the whole length of the tail was coated with latex and then flocked so it looks and feels a little more realistic.
Here is a picture of the attachment. This side with the loop sits on the inside of the belt so it sits snug against my back.

And this part is the outside.

It has great motion, is really light, and because it sits against my spine it moves fairly accurately (or so I think). It also doesn't drag on the floor or underfoot because of the wire and tubing. It has held up through all of the running around and wearing I have put it through so far. I have not been easy on it, nor has my kitty - he likes to chase it and tug on it whenever I kit up. If it doesn't budge when an 8 pound cat is holding onto it dead weight I think it passes as secure and I don't see a little sintra causing very much trouble at all aside from figuring out how to keep it all in place without looking fake.  :laugh:
I am hoping to have enough scrap sintra and/or extra pvc to cover the upper length of the tail and have the last plate be wrapped completely around the tip of the tail. And if everything works out I have some flashy decorating ideas for the plates too, but I'm leaving that as a surprise   ;)

Draceline

« Reply #125 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Hmm....that is a puzzle... I shall think about this one as well.

I do believe you are right. That tail ain't going anywhere. And good job with the texture. I've never had the patience for latex.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #126 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:06 AM »
You will be amazed what complete determination can accomplish. I probably spent a total of 6 hours on the stencils. 2 for drawing, 2 for cutting, and 2 for application.

You are very welcome! #thatissomemassivededicationyouhavethere

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #127 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:31 PM »
#thatissomemassivededicationyouhavethere

Looking awesome means massive dedication, and I am dead set on looking amazing and standing out in a crowd.  ;)

« Reply #128 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:24 AM »
So I drafted up my tail plates and got them all cut up. I decided to use metal for these plates so it stayed light and easily molded. Of course, when I have the chance to crack myself up I always will which is why I chose these signs for my plates  :laugh:

Here they are all cut out, sharp bits ground down, and slid on my tail.

Pardon the gap at the top of the tail, some of the plates slipped around. I don't think it will be such a large gap once everything is in place. Also pardon the mess in the background. Things are getting messy here with two kits in the works!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #129 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:06 AM »
What mess?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #130 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Looking good. And I echo Zulu - what mess? Try having 13 kits in your house at once. Now that's mess.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #131 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Looking good. And I echo Zulu - what mess? Try having 13 kits in your house at once. Now that's mess.
I've got the helmets lol

QMU#084

Draceline

« Reply #132 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I've got no Mando excuse. I've just got stuff.

The tail armor looks good. Abd I love the Beware of Dog sign. If only they had a Beware of Cat.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2016, 10:55 PM by Draceline » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #133 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:41 PM »

Or 3 kids under 5.   :laugh:

It's looking really good, though.  Well done.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #134 on: Mar 08, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Aye. Well done.  :)

"... we think too often in terms of dualism: Jedi or Sith, light or dark, right or wrong. But there are three sides to this blade, not two, opposed and similar at the same time . . . the third edge is the Mandalorian."   - Vergere

Armor WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!