Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Farghul WIP

• 185 Replies
First build Farghul WIP
« on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Edit: This is now also my WIP log  :D
Alright guys, it is time to get all those ideas from my head down onto paper and the interwebs to get them all in order and see if any of this is possible. I am wanting to make this all with minimal purchasing to save monies and to put some of my fabrics and crafting supplies to use.

So here is what I am working with sort of color wise in my head:

Now, since I am trying to build this with what I have on hand, the green fabric I have is brighter than this, and the browns I have are darker and lighter. Searching around the forums I saw that fabric for the vest should be durable, so I plan on using a thick base material with the brown done for show, maybe even with a little bit of quilting. I assume this is ok? The green fabric I have is a breathable cotton/nylon mixture similar to scrubs. Is that ok for the flight suit since scrubs are approvable?

Alright, next up is the bucket:

I want to pull in the colors from the armor and the flight suit here. Pretty straight forward.

I want to do some elegant scrolling patterns on the chest and the bucket as well as a gradient from dark to light pink on the chest, but don't have anything drawn up for that yet that I can share.

Now here is where things get crazy! I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions on this.
I want to do an alien. Really REALLY want, bordering on the edge of NEED to do an alien mando. So after much research I think I could manage making a Farghul. Is anyone here more familiar with them than just what the wiki says, because it is hardly substantial. I wanted something that had a human shape so I wouldn't have to learn even more crazy stuff like prosthetic suit building but was alien enough that people could tell it wasn't a human before I took off my bucket. For those of you who don't know Farghul have cat ears, a tail, clawed fingers, their skin is covered with fur, and it looks like they have a cat shaped nose but no muzzle like in Avatar.

Before I get too wrapped up in planning I wanted to see if Farghul was an ok race to make and get to OM with, since they have only been in EU stuff. I tried to read up on alien mandos but all I couldn't really find anything dealing with less popular races.

So until I get an answer I'm afraid I have to leave you there, though I have much more planned out in my head already :P

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016, 01:07 AM by btemp28 » Logged
Re: First build alien concepts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Update: Just finished this pepped helmet and wanted opinions on sizing.
I'm thinking it is slightly too small since it looks "normal" without anything bulky on. Should I size it up by 10%, or by more than that? my nose is pretty much touching the visor area as it is too, but I don't want to make it so large that it looks ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Well, I am impatient when it comes to waiting for....anything.... so I have continued to work on ideas for this build, and I'm going to go ahead and share them. If the app team doesn't like it then I will just do the same kit, just not alien!  ;D

Here is a quick sketch I did of my idea - please pardon all of the asymmetric drawings and crazy notes everywhere on the page

the green flight suit and the green on the armor are supposed to be the same color

To show off the alien and allow my mando the accessibility she would need in a normal setting my bucket will have to be modified for her ears. I have played around with armored ears vs. ear holes, and I think I like ear holes better. having her ears sealed in the bucket looks too awkward to me.

So, with the bucket mostly decided on I move on to my armor. I think I want something elegant and feminine in my armor so I am thinking a scrolling pattern to pull the chest together, and to pull both shades of pink together I want to do a gradient on the chest.

I think my biggest challenge with this build will be the fur. I don't want to do fur like a fur suit. I don't have the skill set for it nor do I have the budget for it. All the reference photos I have come across don't look like the fur is very long, so I was thinking of using flocking for all the exposed skin. That would hopefully give me velvety and short "fur" without needing to deal with hair along with realistic texture. I plan on picking up some liquid latex and flocking this month or next month to see how well flocking sits on latex, how much coloring needs to be done under it, and what sort of lengths I need to make it look realistic if it is sitting properly. If the flocking trial does work I plan on making a latex full face mask/appliance to alter my nose shape more feline, make some ears, put together a tail that looks fairly believable movement wise, and put together some hands. For her hands I'm wanting to do fingerless gloves so her claws are out, which means doing another latex appliance to wear under or attach to my gloves.

I have my basic patterns for my flight suit and am hoping I can start that soon. Since I think my bucket is going to be too small for my build I need to reprint that bigger and pep it.

Let me know your thoughts/concerns/suggestions!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2015, 05:35 PM »
That kinda reminds me of how they portrayed the Cathar in KotOR. 

Might I suggest not having the ears go through the helmet, but keep the tail and claws.  This is an interesting kit, I'll be watching this with great interest.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2015, 06:30 PM »
I agree that I'm not a huge fan of my ears going through the bucket. The only thing I worry about nixing the ear holes is that from the reference pictures their ears seem fairly large. I'm not sure I could build them right and get them to fit in my bucket without issue unless I scale them down to a disproportionate size to the character.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Battle damage from before you became Manda'yaim. Gives the character a little flavor. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Oooh I like that idea. May not do them both with damage, but that is a great idea

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2015, 11:49 PM »
Really liking this.  Watching with interest.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2015, 03:07 AM »
LOVE the concept! Arizona definitely needs more aliens! & yes all Aliens are approvable.

Another option for ears (& one I've not seen done yet) is something like the Zygerrian traders armor from the Clone Wars, they were a feline race & I always liked the look of their helmet (seen below worn by Obi Wan), which could EASILY be modified into a mando bucket

As far as the Fur goes, unless you're a wookie, most of our Alien species still wear a flight suit so there's really only a very bare minimum of fur exposed anyway basically hands (unless you do full gloves) & face (if you wanna get that crazy under your bucket)

As for the helmet, can we see a pic from the side? that's really where we'll be able to tell if the size is right for you. It looks good from the front, but I'd like to see from the side to make sure.

REALLY looking forward to seeing more progress on this one! Definitely gonna be watching this one closely!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2015, 04:49 AM »
Here are shots of both sides and the back of the helmet. I'm sorry for my mane and the lack of centered photos.

I really like the Zygerrian helmet. I think I will start working up a sketch first thing in the morning to play with. I searched around the forum looking for helmet necessities on modded buckets. I know the T has to be included, but are there any other "must-have"s that I need?

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2015, 05:02 AM »
The "T" & the cheeks are pretty much it, As long as it is easily recognized as a mando helmet, you're good to go...I've seen lots of other modifications that change the over all look of the basic mando helmet

check out Mercy's Togruta helmet found here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96109.0 for a good example of a helmet modified for an alien

The size of yours looks to be about right, however (as I found out the hard way), adding a fiberglass layer (or 2 in my case), may change the size drastically. I ended up having to scrap the first set of templates on my scratchbuilt helmet & start again.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2015, 05:10 AM by Naasad Tal » Logged

Chris S. OM# 454

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2015, 12:34 PM »
In a similar vein to what others have suggested, you could add "humps" to the helmet where the ears would go.  In a helmet, the ears would likely be kind of smushed back anyway, so having bulges on the dome that sweep backwards, similar to the Zygerrian helmet, would probably be a good way to go.  From a Mandalorian point of view, the upright "Catwoman" ears are bulky, unnecessary protrusions that make extra targets for the enemy, so a more streamlined design is definitely what I'd recommend.

However you end up doing it though, this is an interesting concept!

EDIT: Also, if you don't plan on decorating your head to match the alien, these ear bulges can be made hollow for additional tech! Just a little something to think about.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Awesome concept, can't wait to see it come together.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2015, 07:12 PM »
From a Mandalorian point of view, the upright "Catwoman" ears are bulky, unnecessary protrusions that make extra targets for the enemy, so a more streamlined design is definitely what I'd recommend.

However you end up doing it though, this is an interesting concept!

The ears I am going to attempt will be swept back instead of upright. My drawing just isn't that good  :laugh:

But I am thinking of doing a modified Zygerrian bucket. I like how much more alien it looks compared to just a normal bucket, and I think it will really add character to my build. I'm working up sketches currently, and modeling it out a bit more 3D in clay to get a better picture of what I want.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Images of the farghul depict a physiology derived from cats similar to the lynx. With shortened faces, and long pointed ears. Your intent to use the Zygerran helmet is well founded.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Naasad Tal

« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2015, 02:39 AM »
I was talking to my daughter about this today & it renewed her interest in doing a zygerrian mando, but she wants to go the full gamit & add the zygerrian ears under her helmet...what have I started  :-[

Chris S. OM# 454
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2015, 02:56 AM »
I was talking to my daughter about this today & it renewed her interest in doing a zygerrian mando, but she wants to go the full gamit & add the zygerrian ears under her helmet...what have I started  :-[

AHAHAHA
It sounds like she also wants to go big or go home. I can't stand doing things half way myself. Maybe I will start on ears/face mask sooner than I planned so she has something to bounce off of other than furry ear patterns and elf ear casting. I'm hoping to do mine in latex or silicone so they have a real life movement and texture, but we will see what reality throws at me.

« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2015, 03:36 AM »
Ok, update time. I thought long and hard about the pep helmet I had, and decided to build one just a bit larger. I was afraid that by the time I fiberglassed the inside there wouldn't be room for my head, let alone the tech I want installed. So I put that together today. I really like how much more room it gives me, and I feel like it will look a decent size once I have my kit all put together. What do you think?

I also played with the helmet ears today. Let me tell you, it is a pain to draft a 3d pattern when you can't measure your other 3d surface and just have to eyeball it.

It is hard to tell from these pictures, but I want the outside portion of the ear caved in slightly like the Zygerrian helmets. I don't want the square head like they have, so I plan to mold down from the ear to the dome like this (pardon the horrible paint job, there was just no way I was getting a curve out of paper) What do you guys think of the placement and angle of the ear armor? Also, any suggestions on actually making these come to life? I was considering paper clay or instamorph for the molding and then resin/bondo on the outside and hollowing out the inside and doing resin and fiberglass.

Naasad Tal

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2015, 03:43 AM »
That looks awesome! Can't wait to see more!

Chris S. OM# 454

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I would 'glass the main section of the helmet so it is a stable base, minus the sections where you want to attach the ears. Then complete the ears before bondoing the entire thing.
To get the ears smooth I'd probably use the same method I used on my Twi'lek bucket. First I completed the main dome so it was a solid base to work from. I then used a thin card that I cut to the correct curve by taking darts out and attached it to the main dome. This was of course very angular as card just doesn't give a smooth curve. So what I did was turn the bucket over and used duct tape attached on the inside to smooth the card angles. The fibreglass was then applied on the inside and set to the tape shape. Once dry, I peeled off the card and tape.
I've only got one shot of the process and that's from right after removing the card and tape contraption to leave just the 'glass. As the tape leaves it pretty smooth I didn't have to go bondo crazy either so it's quite light which could be a consideration if you're planning on full prosthetics underneath at any point.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First build alien concepts/WIP
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2015, 04:54 PM »
So awesome!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Mercy

« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2015, 05:15 PM »
We need more alien Mandos! I've been thinking about starting one myself....  :rolleyes:

I like where you are going with the helmet. Yes I think the first one was too small, and I like the later ear designs very much.
I feel that an alien should advertise the fact clearly that it is an alien, and not a human with alien-like decoration. The new helmet does that well.
Kudos for considering being alien under the helmet as well. I considered this early on, but I decided in the end that it would be impractical for my build.

I haven't seen much of anything about Farghul, but you could take a ton of ideas from the Cathar in SWTOR. A braided top-tail on the helmet comes to mind right away.

I think that the helmet is the primary way of identifying a character as alien, but also that it is the little details in the rest of the build that sells it. For example, as Togruta, I look at all of the pictures I find and try to think of ways to translate their unique clothing styles into armor shape/colors/textures/etc. Also their cultural cues...what are their environments and social activities? What do they value? This informs me on what trophies they might take and how they would display them, what miscellaneous items they might carry...

Good luck to you. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Ooo, I like those ears. Keep up the good work!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement all! Today I got 3 coats of resin painted on my bucket, and then I got my first go at fiberglassing and bondoing another project I'm working on right now. I learned I desperately need a sanding tool, so doing Bondo on my bucket will have to wait until I can get to the hardware store. I also made up the templates for the ears by using half of the dome pep and pressing in a portion and measured out where I wanted them.

Then I did the REALLY scary part and cut out the holes so I can fiberglass up the ears from the inside (thank you Kris Jasra for the tip!)  :o

Hopefully I will get the chance to fiberglass later today.
In the mean time next week I will be away from home, so I plan to work up my soft parts and get materials for the rest of the armor.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Looking good. Watching this with interest, is always nice to have more aliens.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!