Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Farghul WIP

• 185 Replies
Re: First build alien concepts/WIP
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:50 AM »
I was able to glass the whole thing before I left, but had to use some pretty unorthodox methods to do so. Nothing was cooperating with me at all this afternoon - tape wouldn't stick, glue wouldn't stick, resin wouldn't stick ..... so I ended up contact cementing the fiberglass cloth to the ear templates and then coating it with resin and another layer of fiberglass. It didn't have a chance to cure before I left, so we will see how it turned out next week, but it was looking decent though a little rough. I have high hopes for it, and bondo should cover up any messy bits.

Pardon the other armor bits, those are for my Samus build that I was working on yesterday

« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2015, 03:37 AM »
While I had access to real stores I bought up all the supplies on my list I could find. Got the stuff for my mask, some much needed tools (I love me some power tools) and my favorite bit, while thrifting I found some boots! To remove the branding I am thinking of taking off the back strap, patterning it with new material and replacing it, and for the zipper I am thinking of adding a flap that can be snapped up over the top of it. I am pretty sure buckles are allowed, but if not I can take the whole thing off. Thoughts?

I finally gave up on settling for the material I had on hand and got some more along the lines of the colors I wanted originally. I also found scrap leather at a little hole in the wall in Tucson called SAS. (There is a larger version in Phoenix too)

I started the cut out process for my flight suit and figured out how I want my vest and kama to close up. Now I just have to pull out my sewing machine and get busy.

Over the next few days I plan to work up my face cast, get my mask sculpted and cast with latex, and get my soft parts put together while waiting for my rotary tool to arrive in the mail.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Aug 30, 2015, 03:50 AM »
This is a really nice haul you've got.  Good job, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #28 on: Aug 30, 2015, 03:54 AM »
Nice haul!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #29 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Last night I did a plaster gauze cast of my face and casted a positive from the negative so that I could sculpt today. Here is what I have.I wanted to raise my cheekbones a bit and give my brow more of a structure, along with elongating and flattening out my nose like a cat. I noticed that the male Farghul have more of a muzzle than the females, so I left my lips and chin alone. I think with the slight alterations to the bone structure really help make it look a little more gaunt and streamlined, especially since I have a roundish face shape. I think it is looking good enough that I am going to go ahead and coat my latex on it, and run my tests on the flocking that came in the mail today.

« Reply #30 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:58 PM »
This is coming along nicely. Can't wait for more!

« Reply #31 on: Sep 05, 2015, 07:07 AM »
As I am working on the mask build up I decided to use drying times to my advantage and start throwing together my flight suit. I happened to have a male and female pattern set for scrubs, so using both of them I drafted my own pattern. I left it loose in the back so I can bend and not rip at the seams, but any mild bagging should be covered by my kama and vest. I also really wanted the green to show through, so I added a neck seal to the suit instead of the jacket. It isn't a tight fit on my neck, but it covers and I really like the flexibility it gives my neck since my fabric doesn't stretch. I personally like the double sleeve look, so I went ahead and did those. A little hard to see in these pictures.

Because I can't keep a shirt tucked in to save my life, but I didn't want to have to strip for any potty trips I utilized hidden heavy-duty snaps around the waistline to keep the pants and shirt together while still giving me the convenience of a two piece.

The mask has been a big trial and error so far. I have to flock it again, and I've been building up the empty areas with cotton and latex to keep them from collapsing on my face when I wear it. I'm hoping to have it figured out soon. I am also having issues with ears. I was going to do a wire frame on a headband, but I can't get the right shape, and when I have the right shape it doesn't fit in the ears of the bucket. grrr. The tail is coming along great. I found a great tutorial that resulted in a natural swaying look to the tail, so now I just have to sew up the cover, flock it, and put it all together.

My rotary kit came yesterday too so I can start working on applying and sanding bondo to my bucket, and as soon as I have the vest put together I can start on my armor. We got a big Sterilite bin for the majority of it, and some PVC tubes for the gaunts.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #32 on: Sep 05, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Wow, this is some great progress!  And the double-sleeves are definitely visible.  Good job.

Can't wait to see more.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #33 on: Sep 05, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Great work on the flightsuit, I find an attached neckseal is way easier to manage than a seperate piece...thats why I had my new vest made with one.  :P

Looking forward to more progress!

Chris S. OM# 454

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #34 on: Sep 05, 2015, 01:48 PM »
My neck seal is on my flightsuit, so much nicer than a separate one popping out all the time :P I like the double sleeves, and good thinking on the two piece attachment.

I just had to add more stuffing to my lekku, seems they decided to shed fluffing every so often and they were a bit collapsible, so I know your pain.

Would doing the ears a little like a lynx work? So the ears are kinda small (and under bucket size) but have a fluffy tuft which makes them look much bigger (as that would flatten down without being actually squished)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2015, 10:01 PM »
I've had a busy couple of days. Finished up my kama and vest and tailored everything to myself a little bit more so it is less baggy. I've also made the tail, just need to flock it still and I'm working on the ears. I have gone a bit smaller with them than I was originally wanting, and i'm using foam instead of wire as the base so they can bend to fit in my bucket. I still have to make a girth belt/sash, just not sure which to do yet.
On to the pictures! Here is the test fit of what I have so far. Pardon the modern belts, those will either be covered or replaced-just haven't gotten around to it yet.

If everything looks good I've printed out templates and will do a tape up to check sizing so I can move on to my armor.

Also, I've been looking at brigades a lot and would really like to join the beast tamers once I'm OM. I know the kama and other soft parts are supposed to be "natural". If anyone happens to know, would what I have for my kama/vest work as "natural"? It is a heavy cotton blend.

« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:39 PM »
Dang when we came out there I know you were working on your flight suit and other things. You've come along way! Looks good :):):)

Havelock

« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:55 PM »
This phenomenal work.  Looking great, vod.  Unfortunately, I don't know much about Beast Tamers, so I don't have an answer for you.

Naasad Tal

« Reply #38 on: Sep 10, 2015, 02:38 AM »
LOVE IT! Seriously awesome work here & yes the Kama you have should work just fine. Looking forward to seeing more!

Chris S. OM# 454

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #39 on: Sep 10, 2015, 07:54 AM »
I am digging the bucket with the ears great job!

« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:20 AM »
It has been a small project day today. I've finished my shoulder cape. I still need to weather it all up, but I've trimmed up the fur in a few places, cut a few holes in it, and blasted it with a heat gun to take the shine out of it. it closes with a buckle under the cape.

I also added some elastic straps to fit around my feet in my shoes since I've been having issues with my pant legs pulling out of my shoes.

Edit to add test fit armor templates! Do you think I need to go a little larger anywhere?

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2015, 02:08 AM by btemp28 » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #41 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I think your boob plates need to be bigger (but probably not the other plates unless you need them to match up).  Remember the the rule of thumb - the gaps in your armor should ideally be no more than a thumb's width. You get  a bit more slack since you're a girl and you have more complex shapes to make :P but it's good to keep in mind.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Haha thanks Kavryn, breast plates were the things I was worried about most. As with most things for my top half I figured I would need to make part of it larger  :laugh:

« Reply #43 on: Sep 12, 2015, 03:56 AM »
Ok, printed out a larger version, and think it is a lot closer to the right size.

here is how the sizing compares with a 10% increase

and a horrible selfie of sizing on me the one on the right side is the larger. (pardon the horrible spacing) Thoughts? should I go even bigger, or do you guys think that is decent?

Since I can't work on my armor I worked up a few ammo/other pouches from the scrap fur and leather I had laying around.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #44 on: Sep 12, 2015, 06:24 AM »
I'd try another increase just on the chest plates again. Not sure it is needed, however it might be a good thing to try. If it's too big later it can be trimmed down, it's a lot harder to add material on once its cut.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #45 on: Sep 12, 2015, 10:56 AM »
The hardest part with this template will be making sure the fangs at the bottom don't stick out all wonky.  I had to tweak mine a little, and it looks like yours are sticking out farther than mine did.  You may even need to put a dart in the fang, to get it to bend down like it needs to... I dunno, it'll be hard to tell until you've got it in Sintra.

« Reply #46 on: Sep 12, 2015, 11:28 AM »
I'm sure it didn't help that I only taped down the tops and not the bottoms. It'll be about a week before my sintra comes in the mail, so I'll have a bit of time to play with pattern sizing. I would just do a normal male chest but since farghul care about appearance I feel like I need a more feminine figure and I don't really like the bust form figures. I'm thinking I'll put the paper templates on cardboard and tape them on well this time to see how they sit.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #47 on: Sep 12, 2015, 12:47 PM »
Not a bad idea.  Cardboard is a much closer Nalogue to Sintra than paper is   :P

Naasad Tal

« Reply #48 on: Sep 12, 2015, 08:59 PM »
What Kris said...you can always take more off.

Chris S. OM# 454

Mercy

« Reply #49 on: Sep 13, 2015, 12:03 AM »
Since I can't work on my armor I worked up a few ammo/other pouches from the scrap fur and leather I had laying around.

Is that ostrich? Looks unique.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!