Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Farghul WIP

• 185 Replies
Re: First build alien concepts/WIP
« Reply #50 on: Sep 13, 2015, 05:32 AM »
I honestly don't know Mercy. I got all my leather out of a scrap bin at SAS fabrics, but I do love that bumpy texture to it. I wish I had picked up more of it!

« Reply #51 on: Oct 03, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Goodness it has been a while since I added to my thread. I swear I'm not dead! I have been waiting for some things to come in the mail and working on putting together our house more, but now I'm back.

I got my claws made up using some nail claws (oh the things you can find on Amazon!) and personally drafted gloves of stretch material. I'll be wearing fingerless gloves over the top of these. I think they look good personally, but I'm biased because I thought I was being extremely clever.

(pardon the pink lines and the see-throughness, these gloves have been covered with flock since this photo and the issues are covered.)

I did a quick test fit with everything I have so far, including the mask ears and claws. The brown fingerless gloves I am wearing here are not the final gloves. Those are still on their way to me and are black to match my shoes.

I know the plates aren't lined up well here. Tape didn't want to stick to my vest, but I have a better picture of just the chest plates below. I'm not too sure about the fit of the mask. I think it is coming along, but I'm not too sure it looks great.  I have been fussing with it a lot, but I'm not convinced it will ever be as great as I want it to be, just because i'm not a professional mask maker! I'm also not sold on the ears. They looked great until I saw them with the mask. As usual, lining up my ears inside my bucket is an issue, even though these ears were cut smaller than before. I'm considering getting some cat style ears to go directly over my own so I don't have to worry about hiding mine with my hair or catching and bending them on my bucket, but I will have to see how funds look when my build is closer to done.

Still working on the Bondo layers to my bucket. I only had fine grit sandpaper, so going was really slow, but I was able to get out to the store this week so I should hopefully knock that out of the park soon.

I resized the chest pieces once more, and I think they look perfectly sized now, but what do you think? I do think I need to size up the belly a little so it matches the chest better, but that should be easy to do when I lay out templates to cut. (pardon that ugly face I'm making, I just took off the mask and some of the makeup, so I look like a mess  :laugh: )

Think I can start cutting my Sintra?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Oct 03, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Beautiful alien hands <3  I'm rather partial to claws myself, though I went about it a different way :)

When you make your chestplates out of Sintra, you'll have to bend the bottom prongs inwards more than you have them here, and that may be difficult with the way it's faceted. You may wanna play with the templates a wee bit more to see if you can get them to lay a little flatter (you can see what I'm talking about in the "rawr" picture).  Affixing them to your vest will solve some of this issue, but not 100%.

The collar is a wee bit wide, an easy enough fix. You want it to line up evenly with the outside edges of your chestplates, so it needs about an inch(ish?) taken off each side. If you don't wanna take it all from the outside you can cut your template in the middle, take it from there, and tape it back up.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #53 on: Oct 03, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Looking really good! Love the faceted look of the chest plates!

I think that rhe chest pieces will be fine once you get them attached to the vest, but I agree with Kavryn about the collar though, you'll need to trim the aides to get them to line up with the top of the chest pieces.

You're making excellent progress, keep it up!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #54 on: Oct 03, 2015, 08:41 PM »

When you make your chestplates out of Sintra, you'll have to bend the bottom prongs inwards more than you have them here, and that may be difficult with the way it's faceted. You may wanna play with the templates a wee bit more to see if you can get them to lay a little flatter (you can see what I'm talking about in the "rawr" picture).  Affixing them to your vest will solve some of this issue, but not 100%.

I have to say that I share Kavryn's concern.  I love your concept, but I'm concerned that the facets will be very unforgiving as you try to get your plates to work with your form.    Have you considered doing some darts on the sides to help you keep the facet angles but still curve to your body a bit? 

By the way- love what you're doing! 

My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin
« Reply #55 on: Oct 18, 2015, 12:20 AM »
Great progress considering what I've done. Lol! I'm happy to see your coming together. Hope we will both have our kits ready by AZ con so we can walk around together like some bad *censored* people! LOL!

« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:42 AM »
Alright guys, sorry this has been a necro thread for so long. I may not have been posting, but I was working I swear!

I got the spikes I plan to use as heel spurs attached to my shoes. (I still have to figure out how to cover the logo that they are on I know)

I have also been really fed up with the stupid latex mask I did the first time. It just isn't what I wanted at all, so I started over with a new prosthetic build. This time instead of doing latex coats I'm thinking of making a legitimate mold to make a rotocast-esque prosthetic. I am also building up the brows cheeks and nose more this time and really focusing on making it look a bit more sallow and cat like. I think I will also etch fur lines into the clay so I have extra detail to shine through the mask to make it more alive than the last version.

I also have spent a lot of time working on my bucket, and I think it is finally filled in enough that I can play around with ornamentation! I will admit that it is a little rough in places, but I think it gives it character. Since the dents aren't too deep I figured they would look decent as some damage, and because I want to go Beast Tamer once I am OM I need to look a little roughed up and dirty anyway. Here are some pictures with and without flash.

Oh yeah, that is armor in that last picture!
My Sintra came in the mail and I traced and cut out everything but leg armor and gaunts. I also heat formed it all a bit, modified my chest plates in a more flattering way for myself, and roughly beveled all of the edges that I cut since my sintra is thick.

I am really loving the way my chest plates look here as opposed to the cardboard run I did of them originally. I modified the template away from the original a bit and closed the dart differently so it rounded instead of being harshly angular. Do you think I need to cut the belly a little deeper so the top of the belly comes closer to the chest? Does the diamond need to be shortened a bit? Any placement help would be appreciated.

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:15 AM »
 :o :o :o :o

...& she comes back with vengeance!!!!!

Epic progress ner vod! The helmet looks amazing & the armor is equally awesome! Only thing I might suggest would be to work a little more smoothness into the bucket, other than that, you are DEFINITELY on the right track!

Can't wait to see the next update!

Chris S. OM# 454

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Tiny bit more smoothing needed on the brow of that helmet, but it is looking fantastic.
And armour wise, you nailed the major spacing issues; spacing round the ab/chest join could do with evening and diamond needs adjusting to better fit the gap you have for it. The top corners of the collar plate also need a bit more flattening to you as they're sticking up a little. If you want to be really picky, could also trim the chest plate sides so that it is the exact same width as the chest plates. Really good progress, looking forward to seeing more.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:09 AM »
There are a few builds that get me excited when I see that they have updates. Yours is one of them.

I absolutely love the silhouette of that bucket. It's so feline, and yet so Mandalorian at the same time. If you ever mold it and make copies, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

Can't wait to see what you make next!

« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2016, 11:44 PM »
So I cut down my ab plate and my collar plate and did another test fit

You can't see the new diamond template so here is a picture without flash so it is visible.

I know I need to bend the collar/back edges down more still, and I think I need to bend in the ab plate more, but what do you think of the sizing?

My big project today was adding detail to my sculpting work. After 4 hours this is what I have for casting tomorrow!

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2016, 09:05 AM by btemp28 » Logged

Naasad Tal

« Reply #61 on: Jan 15, 2016, 12:51 AM »
Spacing looks spot on...nicely done!

Chris S. OM# 454

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #62 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Sizings pretty much perfect now. Or should that have been purrrrrrfect? :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #63 on: Jan 15, 2016, 05:57 PM »
This is coming along very nicely!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #64 on: Jan 16, 2016, 01:15 PM »
great work!

« Reply #65 on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:23 PM »
I have been keeping busy on my build this weekend. I decided I wanted sleeves on my vest to attach the shoulder plates to so I cut and added those on. I also decided it was time to figure out a girth belt. I used the basic rope tutorial as a jumping off point and sewed together the whole thing by hand using cotton rope and stretch right backing. I closed it up with some elastic and suspender clips since that is what I had on hand.

I also heat shaped my plates a bit more, and am still trying to fill in bits of my bucket where it is rough. (Have I mentioned how much I dislike bondo? Grrrr)

I was finally able to fill in the branding my shoes.

Buuuuuuuuut the biggest thing I have done is deciding what I would like the paint to look like on my kit. I know my original idea was swirls and so it would look feminine, but I have seen lots of regular swirls recently on kits and I wanted my paint job to stand out. I still want to have my paint look feminine, but I also want to look powerful especially if I get into the animal taming brigade. So this is what I have come up with now (and need to make sure it is ok)

It will still be on pink armor, but the design will be green. Krayt dragons have always been some of my favorite animals in universe. What better why to show my love of them than to adorn my kit? My big worry is stepping on clan symbols since I don't really know what each clan symbol is I wouldn't want to paint up my kit and then be told to change it.

Brigade requirements encourage beast eyes on the helmet too, so I ran across a few ideas I liked and mashed them into one.

What do you think of the designs? Acceptable?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #66 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Personally, I think those designs will look really nice.  Your kit is coming along wonderfully!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #67 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:03 PM »
So, since the last time I posted I attempted to cast my sculpt .... yeah, that didn't turn out at all, so now I need to start over on it. *sigh*
I also managed to crack my bucket in the back near the key. When it rains it pours! I'm really not sure how to go about fixing it. I think I will probably have to go pick up more resin and fiberglass over the break and then I should probably rondo the whole inside of it like I was hoping I wouldn't have to do.  :'(

Now for some good news! I am pretty much done with the bondo process at this point (I hope) *Pleads to the higher powers*
The brow of my bucket has been filled in better, and everything is super smooth. (except for the scars that were left on purpose for asthetic)

The key area is a little rough still, but that is because it snapped before I could finish working the area and didn't want to make it worse.

I also decided I wanted some shnees instead of shins and knees. I feel they will sit better and I just really don't want elastic or anything behind my knees. So here is a mock up pattern. I am hoping it isn't too tall or wide. Shnees don't really seem to have too much of a pattern to them, so I just took the jango pattern as a base and extended it up higher.

Any input on anything? I would love some more opinions on my painting ideas too  ;D

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:28 PM »
You should talk to Bowfanny about your helmet woes, he's the Bucket King ;D

Those shnees will be fine. Like you said, there's really no standard for them. ;)

« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:23 AM »
I looked through some of Bowfanny's builds and holy wow! Bucket king is right!  :laugh:

Since the shnees look good I guess cutting them out of my sintra will be my next step tomorrow along with filling more pin holes in my bucket.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:09 AM »
The size of the shnees is good. As an aside, I tend to find that adding a second layer, trauma plate over the knee are, or having a paint design which highlights the knee will help break it down from extra long shin and you have weird size legs, to shin with combined knee armour.

« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:33 AM »
I know I don't have it drawn on there or anything (aren't you a mind reader? :laugh: ) but I was planning on doing some fun 3d detailing/trauma plating etc. once I had a base plate in hand. I am a real hands on person, which means half the time I don't know where I am going with something until I am already half way there-not the best thing in the world, especially in cases like this.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:54 PM »
This is a great looking kit. Alien mandos are in short supply. That helmet is boss, Especially with Kris' help. and the krayt on the chest looks amazing! Have you thought about making full use of the space you'll have on the helmet and doing jaig eyes like the beast tamer brigade suggests. On most mandos Jaig eyes just look pretty, but on a tamer they would have the practical function they would in the animal kingdom of making the wearer appear much bigger than they are. and I think with the shape of your helmet you could get a really impressive set of jaig eyes (possibly less traditional with a bit of a cat eye look to them?) to take up the helmet dome and ears to act as your intimidation factor in training. Just a thought as it's what came to mind when i saw the helmet and the words beast tamer as I was looking at the BRLs today

Keep up the good work.

Quick MS paint of what i mean xx

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2016, 07:14 PM by Kitala-Enby » Logged
I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I  actually have a mock up picture really similar to that which I went back and forth with- I couldn't decide if it looked cool, or if it would be overkill. It is always hard to know when it is just on paper. Seeing it directly on my bucket like that though I may end up moving the skull to the back of my bucket or onto a shoulder or something. Design work is my favorite part. There are just so many options!

« Reply #74 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:38 AM »
So this weekend I picked up my paint! Here are my colors

I know the colors aren't crisp, but I was excited to swatch my colors, so I just went for it. I'm really happy with the shades, now I just have to decide which pink is going where. I also took time to sketch on my bucket and think I will go for the jaig eyes like Kitala-Enby suggested. Seeing it in person really helped make up my mind. I think I will end up putting the skull image on my back plate once I get around to making it.

I have done a lot of looking at shnees this weekend and think I have the start of a good idea for trauma plating. I even went as far as to pull out my huge star wars figure collection to get ideas  :laugh:

Aside from that I fiberglassed the break and I have applied 2 layers of rondo to my bucket. It has some nice heft to it now, and is much less flexible. I am trying to decide if I should do a third layer or rondo or call 2 good since the whole thing is fiberglassed already. It is getting closer and closer to being done and I am very excited! 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!