Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Farghul WIP

• 185 Replies

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
Re: First build alien concepts/WIP
« Reply #125 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Hmm....that is a puzzle... I shall think about this one as well.

I do believe you are right. That tail ain't going anywhere. And good job with the texture. I've never had the patience for latex.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #126 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:06 AM »
You will be amazed what complete determination can accomplish. I probably spent a total of 6 hours on the stencils. 2 for drawing, 2 for cutting, and 2 for application.

You are very welcome! #thatissomemassivededicationyouhavethere

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #127 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:31 PM »
#thatissomemassivededicationyouhavethere

Looking awesome means massive dedication, and I am dead set on looking amazing and standing out in a crowd.  ;)

« Reply #128 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:24 AM »
So I drafted up my tail plates and got them all cut up. I decided to use metal for these plates so it stayed light and easily molded. Of course, when I have the chance to crack myself up I always will which is why I chose these signs for my plates  :laugh:

Here they are all cut out, sharp bits ground down, and slid on my tail.

Pardon the gap at the top of the tail, some of the plates slipped around. I don't think it will be such a large gap once everything is in place. Also pardon the mess in the background. Things are getting messy here with two kits in the works!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #129 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:06 AM »
What mess?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #130 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Looking good. And I echo Zulu - what mess? Try having 13 kits in your house at once. Now that's mess.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #131 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Looking good. And I echo Zulu - what mess? Try having 13 kits in your house at once. Now that's mess.
I've got the helmets lol

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #132 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I've got no Mando excuse. I've just got stuff.

The tail armor looks good. Abd I love the Beware of Dog sign. If only they had a Beware of Cat.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2016, 10:55 PM by Draceline » Logged
"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #133 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:41 PM »

Or 3 kids under 5.   :laugh:

It's looking really good, though.  Well done.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #134 on: Mar 08, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Aye. Well done.  :)

"... we think too often in terms of dualism: Jedi or Sith, light or dark, right or wrong. But there are three sides to this blade, not two, opposed and similar at the same time . . . the third edge is the Mandalorian."   - Vergere

Armor WIP
« Reply #135 on: Mar 11, 2016, 03:03 AM »
Thank you all   :D I know it doesn't look that messy, but that is because I am awesome at stacking clutter. Seriously...if clutter stacking was a profession I would be all over that.  :P

Anywho, onto updates!
I knew this day would come, but was hoping it wouldn't be so soon. The employees at the Ace here in Morenci now recognize me. One of them told me he would ask if I needed help, but I always say 'no' so he won't bother anymore  :laugh:

I have been working on smaller things for my kit- I braided myself a leash-brigade req

and purchased a whip that my cat LOVES (seriously, I had to hide it in a child proofed closet so he would stop rubbing all over it)

Here they are side by side comparison

I also printed out the back template and drew on it what I want as a sectioned back. Just wanted to double check that you guys think it covers 2/3 of the back before I cut it out of the sintra.

My tail armor is still in the works. I've got it all attached together, just have to paint it and put on some cool stuff for it to be considered done. All my other armor is velcroed down in trouble spots. I have a possible solution to my visor crinkle issue that I hope to try, and I need to finish up the knife I have been working on.

I assume I don't have to have anything for under my helmet done before I send in app photos, so mask/ear making will probably start late this month or early next month depending on where I am at with hubby's build (since he finally decided colors/style and drafted up what he wants it to look like). My kit should be official by my deadline (June 2) but I am not so sure I will be done with his by then, especially with a scratch built helmet to do.

« Reply #136 on: Mar 22, 2016, 01:02 AM »
Alright vode, the tail is complete!

The spikes on the tail are the same ones that are on my boot heels as spurs. I figured I didn't have any other use for spikes and they would look pretty awesome running down the tail armor.

I am still working on the back plates- I am thinking about possibly turning it into more of a legacy style back. It would fit with the tail and give the mobility I am looking for.
What do you guys think?

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: First build Farghul WIP
« Reply #137 on: Mar 22, 2016, 01:10 AM »
That looks AWESOME!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #138 on: Mar 22, 2016, 01:13 AM »
Thank you! I thought so too  ;D

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #139 on: Mar 22, 2016, 02:20 AM »
Very nice! Almost makes me want to built a cat Mando myself.

QMU#084
« Reply #140 on: Mar 23, 2016, 02:11 AM »
Very nice! Almost makes me want to built a cat Mando myself.
Thank you! Having extra body parts to think about and add to has been really interesting.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #141 on: Mar 23, 2016, 07:48 AM »
I will be Watching this Build with Great Interest ...

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #142 on: Mar 24, 2016, 02:26 AM »
Tonight saw me drafting up what I have decided on for my back plates for realsies this time. I am stuck on using my stencil that got nixed on my bucket for my back plate, so when it didn't sit well on what I had drafted before I drafted up something new (because I am too stubborn for my own good).

I really like this better than the first draft. It flows with the shapes I used for my tail armor much better and looks unique. The middle piece is cut from sintra already, but the other two bits are waiting till tomorrow when I can get out to the garage and snip the them up real quick with the rotary tool. I am hoping to get them cut, shaped, and start on painting them, but we will see what actually happens. Also it is worth noting that all the edges have yet to be beveled down, so none of the edges will be sharp, and I may end up rounding the end plate a lot like I did with the tail tip to avoid stabbing myself in the back.

I also fixed the issue I was having with my visor tinting not staying down. I went out and got a second face shield and cut it up to match, so the film is sandwiched between the two bits of plastic. I'm just happy that it works and that it is all removable like I wanted without giving up anything.

Bowfanny

« Reply #143 on: Mar 24, 2016, 02:30 AM »
I like it.

QMU#084

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #144 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:52 AM »
I really dig the concept....I'm always one for segmented back plates.

I have to admit the top plate looks maybe a little short, I almost thought it was a collar plate at first  :P.  It might not be something that's really an issue, but usually I notice that the longest piece for segmented back armor is the top one, and with the curve over the shoulders and other potential adjustments it makes sense, since it's the one that has to deal with the most curving and such. Have you test the template on your back yet? I'd love to see how it looks there, see if that negates any concern with the top piece being the short piece.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #145 on: Mar 24, 2016, 07:13 PM »
The top plate's longest tooth goes to the middle of the jango/boba back pattern. I was worried that my top plate would be too long compared to everything else I have seen, especially since I only plan on 3 plates instead of the 4-5 I typically see. I apologize in advance for hubby's inability to stick things on straight  :laugh:

Here are the top two pieces

And here I have all 3.

The bottom plate pattern I unfolded and used as the middle for this picture so that things would sit a little better with the pre-cut one being at the bottom. I still plan for the base plate to be thinner on the side like it is in my original picture. You can also (hopefully) see where my kama sits in the last picture (even though I didn't line up the split center back...oops!). It will have belts over the top of it too, and I didn't want the plates covered up too much by cloth.
Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 08:00 PM by btemp28 » Logged

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #146 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Will these plates move or have movement .. or Will they Just be Static and be a stacked or layered Back plate ?

« Reply #147 on: Mar 24, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Will these plates move or have movement .. or Will they Just be Static and be a stacked or layered Back plate ?
I had planned for them to be attached to a nylon strap so they can move a bit. I don't have a ton of movement in my kit already due to the tail and everything so if you think it would be better just as a stacked stagnant plate that is workable too.

ConDar Ward

« Reply #148 on: Mar 24, 2016, 10:43 PM »
The more movement the better in my opinion.
Especially if you plan to troop for any length of time.  ;)

« Reply #149 on: Mar 24, 2016, 11:02 PM »
Do you think the length looks good for a movable back then, or should I make an extra plate to add to the bottom? I postponed cutting till tomorrow at least, so there is still time to fix things if y'all think the top plate should be longer or there should be an extra plate added in at the bottom. I'm just flying by the seat of my pants for this part so any input is helpful  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!