Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Farghul WIP

• 185 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: First build Farghul WIP
« Reply #150 on: Mar 24, 2016, 11:14 PM »
Given that you may not be able to sit down with the tail as easily as normal (or possibly at all), have you thought about having the bottom plate, be it the third, or a fourth one flare out a little to cover the very base of the tail. Backplates don't normally go that low due to it impeding movement with a 1 piece. But a layered and flexible one can go lower down without as much issues. Make it so that the backplate seems to flow into the tail armour. I'd still have them separate and just overlapped at the tail base so you can move, but have the look of it all being one protective piece.
It is a design that would look rather out of place on a human and I'd usually never even suggest it, but it would make perfect sense on a species with a tail. Though you would need to work out putting the belts under/over it in some form.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #151 on: Mar 24, 2016, 11:47 PM »
I wrote about the attachment method, but I haven't really explained where it is worn. I wear the tail belt over my flight suit but under my vest. It is also at my natural waist instead of on the hips because I feel it looks like a natural extension of my spine (like a tail should) by wearing it there. In doing so my vest and kama totally cover the attachment.

I like the extension idea, but I'm not sure it would be practical the way I am envisioning it unless I just covered the bottom of the plate with my belts. My fear with that is that the general public may just think I have a really long back plate instead of an expansion down the length of my spine.
If I didn't have a kama I would hands down do it because it would come off loud and clear and look awesome, but I think I'll have to pass unless my kit changes.

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #152 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:38 AM »
I think the length looks fine. Overall it looks fine how it is, Personally I'd probably want to see the top piece a little longer but that's just my personal preference for the setup of layered backs (with the thought of each piece getting smaller/shorter as it goes). But personal preference aside the length of the top piece looks long enough to get past the parts of the back that might cause the most issues and looks good, so if you like it that way I'd say go for it.

I was going to post a picture of my back plate (which is layered/segmented like yours) to show that it doesn't have to be too long, and then I noticed that mine is actually longer, I think it's roughly similar /slightly shorter than my front... but thanks to my belly the front hangs a bit differently, whilst the back is relatively flat (in comparison to the front at least).

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #153 on: Jun 02, 2016, 04:02 AM »
Hey y'all, sorry I haven't been updating recently! Real life took over for a while. I was gone from home for almost a whole month, and then was off celebrating our one year anniversary.

Obviously I didn't meet my goal of having my mando official by Comicon this year, but I am working furiously on my back plate to get it wearable so that I can get opinions on my kit from my lovely Arizona family while we are in Phoenix!

I still have to deal with the sew side of the velcro for my whole kit, and I have to paint my back and attach it. I'm going to forgo my hard cod for a soft one just for now so it looks put together. I also will probably only carry my staff, since my knife isn't ready and there is no way in all of the galaxy I can get it finished the way I want it to be in just a day or two.  :laugh: We will see how this all goes, and hopefully I can post pictures as I go. Hoping to be able to wear it Saturday at the very least. Maybe Friday if everything goes really REALLY well tomorrow.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #154 on: Jun 02, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Good luck, and I look forward to seeing it all together.  ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #155 on: Jun 02, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Glad to see you're still around & even more excited that you'll be at PCC! I look forward to meeting you & seeing your kit in person!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #156 on: Jun 02, 2016, 05:19 PM »
Glad to see you're still around
You can't get rid of me that easily!  :P
I got my back plates cut out and shaped to me last night. Then it was too late to go outside and turn on the rotary tool to work on beveling edges and painting. I don't think the neighbor who is a cop would be too happy with noise like that at 2 in the morning  :laugh: so I sewed down my velcro. I think everything is sitting much better now that it is affixed really well to my vest. Also, pardon the crazy. That is how I look when I get 4 hours of sleep. HAHAHA

Around noon I was able to get outside and bevel and sand my back plates. This picture is before I started painting or beveled the edges, so you can see how they lay together now that they are heat formed to my back.

While waiting for paint to dry I have punched holes in my vest for the plates to attach to too.

« Reply #157 on: Jun 02, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I know I am double posting, but I have made SO MUCH progress today! Back is done (just needs the toothpaste washed off to show my weathering, black washed, and sealed) and attached totally. I also am going to attach velcro to my back to hold my shoulder cape in place so that the left side looks perfectly aligned.

I hope you guys like it
ETA: Not sure why my computer was stupid and didn't load all the pictures right....I will have to add the rest of the photos later when I have access to a computer again.

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016, 10:21 PM by Dara Tarrk » Logged

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #158 on: Jun 02, 2016, 10:18 PM »
haha the ears are FANTASTIC.  :D

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #159 on: Jun 02, 2016, 10:25 PM »
haha the ears are FANTASTIC.  :D
That is high praise coming from you Briks! Thank you  ;D I can't wait to see what you do with your alien build

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #160 on: Jun 02, 2016, 10:30 PM »
That is high praise coming from you Briks! Thank you  ;D I can't wait to see what you do with your alien build

Yeahhhhh still figuring that out, started a SWTOR kit at the moment though :D

- Also, the bottom pictures you had worked for me? did they not show up on your screen (they're gone now.)

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #161 on: Jun 02, 2016, 11:21 PM »
That is weird. They were showing up as multiples of the second photo both in preview and in the coding link too.  Maybe it was just because I was on my phone. Technology never agrees with me, so it is no surprise at this point.
Ok, let me try this again

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016, 11:41 PM by Dara Tarrk » Logged
« Reply #162 on: Jun 07, 2016, 06:36 PM »
So Phoenix Con has come and gone, and I enjoyed every second of it. I was able to wear my mando both days that we attended, and overall was very pleased with how well everything held up! It was also really great to meet some of the Arizona family. You guys really welcomed me right in, and I am even more excited now than I was when I first started building my kit to join y'all.

Ok, I will put up a couple of pictures from con. I purchased a belt as my ammo belt while we were in town and finished hiding my closure on the girth belt, so I feel like I looked pretty put together. A few people even asked if I was already official, which was a great feeling for a beginner like me.

having some fun with the hubs

Things that need fixin':
-attachment of shnees at boot. The chicago screws on the inner portion came undone. I added velcro after the first day, but they still came undone on the second day
-reshaping on shnees. I think I can get a better wrap around my leg with my current armor. I am also contemplating changing the shape to something that flows more with my back and tail armor (not sure if I will deal with that now or sometime after approval though)
-reshape collar. I want to put a little more bend in my collar plate. In some pictures it looks like it might be lifting a little. May even do a little more velcro to hold it down.
-stick down chest. Holding onto my electrostaff really caused my chest plates to rotate. Maybe more velcro will help? If you have a suggestion please let me know. It looks fine if my arms are at my side.
-girth belt. I want to add a material backing to my girth belt to keep all of the rope together. It kinda did whatever it wanted to since it wasn't sewn through the whole length. It didn't look bad, but it bothered me.
-tail bending. I had some issues with my tail wanting to wrap around one way, especially after sitting down. I am wondering if a thicker wire is in order, or if I should just avoid sitting with the tail on.
-tail armor twisting around. I need to attach the tail armor to a strip of metal or something sturdy that i can attach to the tail directly. All of my walking and people bumping into me caused pieces of the armor to rotate out of place
-Cover zippers. need to figure out how to cover the zippers on my boots since they are gold. I am thinking of picking up black leather/pleather and riveting it to one side and adding some velcro to the other. My shnees cover most of it, but not all of it.
-visor. I still have issues with the tinting in my visor being wonky. Maybe it is just because mine is custom built, or maybe it is because I don't know what the heck I am doing, but the layer is crinkled and I can't straighten it out. Thinking of purchasing a legitimate tinted visor from here.

Things to add to my kit:
-bucket fans. I knew I would need fans in my bucket, just hadn't gotten around to it by the time con came. This is #1 on my purchase list.
-ambient hearing aid for bucket. As much fun as it is to make people get in your face to talk to you, it would make my life easier to be able to hear
-microphone. I don't like to scream in my own ears.  :laugh: This is probably #2 on my list
-Prosthetics. I know this is more of a "want" than a "need", and I know it can wait until after approval, but I would love to get my prosthetics in order either making them myself or purchasing them. I feel it adds to the character to be able to take off the helmet.
-more weapons. Attach my whip and knife. Maybe even make some pistols or other guns once I am official
-pouches More pouches and maybe even some tech on my ammo belt
-remake flight suit Thinking of remaking it in a heavier material. I can see some fabric wear from where my plates rub on my arms and legs, and I worry that eventually it will rip through. I also keep popping a snap in the back when I bend. Not a huge issue since it can't be seen, but since I have to take everything off to get the tail off I may as well go for a front zipper suit instead. This is not on the top of my list, just something I have thought about for a while.

If you see anything else that needs improvement or have any suggestions please throw it out there for me.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #163 on: Jun 07, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing!

I will agree with all the points you brought up. The collar does appear to lift off your right shoulder.  But I know that you'll have this straightened out (or better bent) soon enough. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #164 on: Jun 07, 2016, 11:34 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing!

I will agree with all the points you brought up. The collar does appear to lift off your right shoulder.  But I know that you'll have this straightened out (or better bent) soon enough. ;D

Thank you!  :laugh:

In other news, I fell in love with my fur loincloth that was just supposed to be a stand in piece, and I would like to make it an official part of my kit instead of an armored cod. The updated CRLs say that loincloths are supposed to be more than just rectangular fabric. Does anyone know what exactly that means and what I need to do to make my fur approvable?

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 09:20 PM by Dara Tarrk » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!