Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ok EL wire pro's, I am having trouble with my power source.

• 8 Replies

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
I can solder, I can weld, I can wire a house and make components. The thing that evades my knowledge is making the power source. I got the parts from radio shack and asked (I should have known better) how do I make this use batteries. So the guy read the package and it says input voltage is 12vdc. Cool right so he says get this 12 v battery and this battery holder and you are good to go. Get home solder some parts together with a switch and WOOO it works. I had it on for about 2 minutes total and it was bright and beautiful. Took battery out so as not to waste it, and I tried it again tonight and it worked great for another 2 minutes or so then went very dim then off. To me this means the power supply was insufficient correct? I was browsing the net and kept reading you cannot run El wire on batteries for DC only AC. I see that adafruit sells battery power supplies for them though. So any advice oh great and mighty electronics master oh the Mandalorian Mercs?

Me "Mom why was 6 afraid of 7?" Mom "Why would a number be afraid of another number?" Me "Because 7, 8, 9!" Mom leaves with a blank look on her face.

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
Re: Ok EL wire pro's, I am having trouble with my power source.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Adafruit's battery power supplies are all inverters.  Your research is correct in that EL requires AC, and all batteries produce DC.  So you have two options: you can order an inverter of the necessary size from Adafruit, which should run you about $10 including shipping if memory serves, or you can try to wire an inverter yourself.  But hooking the EL component directly to the battery is a no-go.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2015, 04:35 PM »
So it would go Battery, inverter, El wire?  So the EL wire would be powered off of the batteries in the inverter setup correct?

Me "Mom why was 6 afraid of 7?" Mom "Why would a number be afraid of another number?" Me "Because 7, 8, 9!" Mom leaves with a blank look on her face.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Correct.  The inverter is a circuit that converts the battery's Direct Current to Alternating Current.

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2015, 12:22 AM »
Thank you thank you!

Kebii'laar

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:58 AM »
No problem! I'd go more in-depth, but I don't have much more than a conceptual knowledge of electronics.  It's one of those things I just seem to hit a wall whenever I try to self-teach.  It's my understanding that the inductor involves some kind of oscillator, but that's about it.  I trust you can go on from there?

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2015, 01:26 PM »
lol yep

Kebii'laar

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Excellent, let me know how it turns out!

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2015, 11:41 PM »
Its going to be on one of my gauntlets when they arrive, I ordered the inverter last night so hope it gets here soon.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!