Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WarSpirit's gauntlets - WIP

• 26 Replies

Adenn'Kal

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
WarSpirit's gauntlets - WIP
« on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Ok.

When i planned my armor, i got my hands on a sheet of sintra that my brother had lying around for a long time. I wanted to try the material, see how it worked before starting up. I printed the templates for boba fett gauntlets from rotj to start working up. Well i loved where i was getting with the left gauntlet so decided to continue working on the gauntlets and use them for my armor.

The test made me see quite fast that i had to do some trimming, the templates were too long for me. So i cut an inch at the end for each one and it fitted quite well. I built the upper part also but since i had to cut the length of the bracers, all the weapons moutning needed to be reworked. ANd then i thought, Damn i'm not making boba fett's armor, so no need for the gauntlets to be identical.

As you can see i also cut the front part of the gauntlet that goes over the hand, found it annoying. I also saw that my hands are too big to fit trough the front hole, so i installed hinges to open and close the gauntlet.

The upper part is not fixed yet, wasn't quite sure if i wanted to put electronics in it. So i decided to start working on my right gauntlet. Work went well.

Yesterday late in the night i installed the weapon mountings on top of the gauntlet. So this morning i could give it a good shot of bondo and a first rough sanding.

I'll do some bondo on the hinges rivets this afternoon.

Mercy

Re: WarSpirit's gauntlets - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2015, 11:55 PM »
I love layering sintra like that. Its a great material, and that technique looks great when done well.

You done well...   :)

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Adenn'Kal

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Worked on my left gauntlet. Decided to build a rocket launcher on top with switches.

Switches are connected to a 9V battery.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:20 PM »
Very impressive!

Adenn'Kal

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2015, 11:32 PM »
Thanks Vod !

I'm quite happy with the result. I'm just missing my flamer for my left gauntlet and two to three rockets on top and he will be done. I'll fit also some switches in my right gauntlet, but i have tondo some cutting to get inside then some sanding to smooth everything and i'll work on my bucket after that.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2015, 11:34 PM »
Looking real good vod!

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Nice work WarSpirit.

Your weapon mount is nicely put together.  Wich I could of done the same.

Where about in Quebec are you?

Keep up the good work.

Eric

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Those gauntlets are gorgeous vod!  Seriously, very inspirational work.  I love working with sintra, it's great for layering. Keep up the good work!

Adenn'Kal

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2015, 12:59 PM »
@ Balou34 : i'm in Quebec city. If i'm not mistaken you too. So if you want we can meet up sometime and see what you've done. If i can help it will be my pleasure.

@Raestlin : thanks vod ! Yeah i love dintra too fir the layering, tou can almost do anything.

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Hello Warspirit,

Did you find a good closing method for your gauntlet?  I ran my method and its not approvable.  I'm kind a stuck right now.

Thanks

Eric

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2015, 09:01 AM »
I've seen people have good results with rare earth magnets to close their gauntlets.  That's most likely what I will use on mine as well.

Beleck Kase

« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2015, 10:55 AM »
I've seen people have good results with rare earth magnets to close their gauntlets.  That's most likely what I will use on mine as well.

Hello Raestin,  I've heard about earth magnets.  My gauntlet are on the tight side and I need something that will hold them, I don't think that magnets will be enough.

I guest I'll have to use straps and buckles.  I just don't wont it to be too obvious.

Thanks for hte info.

Eric

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2015, 11:00 AM »
You'd be surprised...  Rare earth magnets aren't your ordinary refrigerator magnets.  They are wicked strong.  You can get them really cheap from Amazon, Ebay, Harbor Freight, etc.  It may be worth a try.  ;)

arc97

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Hello Raestin,  I've heard about earth magnets.  My gauntlet are on the tight side and I need something that will hold them, I don't think that magnets will be enough.

I guest I'll have to use straps and buckles.  I just don't wont it to be too obvious.

Thanks for hte info.

Eric
Try Neodymium magnets.  Even the tiny ones are so strong that the packages have to be separated by cardboard on the shelf.  I know Michaels carries them, but I'm sure other large craft stores do as well.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2015, 11:27 AM »
what arc97 said... I got mine on ebay for next to nothing + free shipping in a pack of 20 really strong too. :D

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Neodymium and Rare Earth magnets are the same thing.  ;)

Adenn'Kal

« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:33 AM »
So it has been a long time since i worked on my gauntlets. The right one was finished but still had work to do on the left. Finished my flamer and my rocket launcher. All fixed with magnets.

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Nice! Stealing the idea :P

CAT #1573

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Very nice!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Adenn'Kal

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 11:47 PM »
Ok so both gauntlet are finished, just need to fix the missiles on the left gauntlet and a tube on the right gauntlet !

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Those are gorgeous Adenn!  Nice work on these, and everything else in your WIP.  It's all extremely top-notch!!  8)

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 04:45 PM »
this so gives me hope fore my second build :D those gauntlets are perfect. thought of stopping with the sintra but with just the right amount of patience and bondo. maybe one day I'll have cool gauntlets just like you vod!

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 03:23 AM »
this so gives me hope fore my second build :D those gauntlets are perfect. thought of stopping with the sintra but with just the right amount of patience and bondo. maybe one day I'll have cool gauntlets just like you vod!
I feel the same way vod.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!