Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vhekadla Yustapir's Upgrade Construction Fjord: MKIII & Additions

• 100 Replies

Naakoya Naast

• "Breathe deep, seek peace."
Re: Kyr'raim Nahk'la's First Armour Construction (WIP)
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Looking good vod, it was great to meet you at d*con!

MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Profile pic by Rookie Roads Photography

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Holy cow, that came together quick  8)

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Holy cow, that came together quick  8)
Pics!

Killing threads since 2013

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Thank you vode! It was a pleasure to meet you as well Naakoya, and it was great to finally meet the real Yutah.  ;)

I've got con pics I can post, and plenty to still do to finish getting my armor, and weapons, up and over the hump to be ready for submission. There's definitely going to be some rework, especially to the paint job. I'm going to keep the same design but my twi'lek and I are going to see what we can do to improve the finish and look of the final product. I received a ton of great feedback from everyone.

I got the majority of it con ready by pulling an all-nighter with 20 minute nap shifts alternating with my partner in crime and soldering the electronics for the helmet in the hotel room...  :laugh: I also put together the kama in the hotel room as well but that is definately going to be redone since I'm not happy with it at all, not how I wanted it to look but it was serviceable for a first attempt and my first con. Now I have the time to take it easier since I have the components and get back to work when I'm done traveling. They've got me going back and forth to Talon territory for the next several weeks.

Below was my first attempt at fitting, it was the first day. It was terrible and I cringe everytime I look at it, lol.

Thankfully I got it together and after wrestling with positioning and placement, which one of the first things I am in the process of implementing a non-quick fix solution for once I get the materials and a new flight suit.

And photobombed by an Alor'ad masqurading as a Jedi.

Contact Me: vhekadlayustapir@outlook.com
Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:01 AM »
Why you no official yet? What's keeping this from happening? This kit is awesome. 

Killing threads since 2013

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2016, 12:38 PM »
Thank you vod! Truthfully there is still quite a bit wrong with the kit that won't let it pass approval just yet. I got a lot of feedback at the event.

My first attempt, this kit, was a two week rush job prior to Dragoncon, put together by a few all-nighters. I'm actually beginning all my work now, that way I will have plenty of time prior to the con to have it up to spec. I'd like it to pass approval by late April at the latest; that hinges on cooperative weather though.

This is what I've got drawn up to be done so far based on my own critique and the feedbacks of the Alor'ads and Ruus'alors I ran into at Dragoncon. My ten commandments to approval. :laugh:

1. I scrapped the Kama. It was cut and put together in the hotel room and turned out terrible. With a little time and fabric I will have a decent one in it's place.

2. The rope around the middle was haphazardly wrapped and tied; I'm working on a proper girth belt which I will attach the Kama to and it will synergize with the main belt.

3. Cod piece is getting a slight overhaul and reinforcement to be more comfortable. I was actually wearing two of them which looked strange but was the only way I could anchor it at the time.

4. Bought a new flight suit. Attachments were mostly velcro and hastily repairing with superglue constantly. Destroyed my old one. I have most of the materials with which to make a much improved system.

5. My gauntlets need work. They were held closed by a combination of velcro, hook and loop screws which kept popping out and at one point literally tied together by a piece of fabric. :laugh:

6. Helmet Reinforcement and Conversion to Mark II. I have a link to that in my signature. (WIP)

7. Better plate curves and chest diamond replacement. Plates were too flat and have already been rectified to fit the body more appropriately to approval requirements. I under curved them when I first fitted them. I've also fixed my back plate to fit properly to the curves and contours of my back. (Complete except for chest diamond.)

8. Stripping and repainting the whole ensemble to be more professional. I plan to mostly keep the color scheme but I want something more white metallic like I did originally. The closest thing I've seen been accomplished with what I desired is the light silver that I see Vraeden sporting. I'm new to painting so I'm still trying to figure that out.

9. Weapon: My weapon needs plenty of attention to get it where I want it to be and where it will pass. The one I carried at the con was a nerf gun spray painted black and the logos sanded off. I found I need to take off the triangles and fill in the manufacturers holes to make it pass muster. That is in addition to the plans I have to make it acceptably far enough away from the stock to where only those that really are experienced with nerf guns and their modification will be able to easily tell what it used to be.

10. Electronics! Though I have most of what I need everything else really needs to be almost complete to implement. It's also not necessary for approval.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2016, 10:17 AM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged
Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Looks like you've got things in order- that paint sounds neat too- looking forward to updates!

MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Looks like you've got things in order- that paint sounds neat too- looking forward to updates!

Ditto

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:02 PM »
I know I still have some time before I reach this step however a little planning never hurt anyone. This is a note of the paint composition I am tentatively reaching for in order of application. Opinions are welcome for this painting newbie.

1. Primer Layer: Rustoleum Grey Primer OR Rustoleum Automotive Filler Grey Primer; All purpose primer
2. Second Layer: Rustoleum Flat Black; Natural Weathering -(Ash)- / Carbon Scoring Layer
3. Third Layer: Rustoleum Satin Nickel OR Rustoleum Bright Coat Silver Finish; Beskar Layer
4. Primary Colour: Rustoleum Pearl Mist Metallic (Metallic White); Main Armor Paint
5. Secondary Colour: TBD Shade of undecided blue in the spirit of Valspars Midnight Bayou; Secondary Armor Paint (Auto Paint?)
6. Accent Colours: TBD Shade of black in the spirit of Valspars Cracked Pepper AND TBD form of Old Gold Metallic. (Preferably Model Paint Enamel. Not Spray, Acrylic, or Latex)
7. Sealing: TBD or Necessary?

Note to Self: Girth belt is going to be gold & Electronic Lights/Switches will be mix of white, blue, or yellow/gold/amber. I can't think of any other colours which will complement the scheme. I don't think green or red switches will synergize well and I have too many of those lying about since my father is a Vader.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2016, 12:54 PM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged

Naakoya Naast

Re: Road to Approval: Kyr'raim's Armour Construction
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:08 PM »
Sealing/clear coating is a good way to protect your paint, especially from all those bumps at cons or the plates rubbing together.

MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Beware the list my friend...It always finds a way of growing! Don't get stuck in limbo, you got something really good going! But I do understand things need mending and improving sometimes!

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:14 AM »
List I fear thee not.  :laugh: You are absolutely right though Kol. I know it feels like I'm taking too many steps backward, but outside of the paint stripping process, which is a pain in the shebs  :'(, the list isn't surmountable. I should be more than complete and approved by the next dragoncon. I'm continuously updating and revising my first post to keep myself grounded for that very purpose.

I'm debating the sealing process Naakoya. I am not great with weathering myself and prefer natural weathering from wear and tear. Despite that I know I will need to eventually do so. Especially since I have my eye on the Force Hunter Brigade. I am not going to worry about that now though, and I'm going to focus entirely on standard approval. Don't be surprised if you see at least one light saber crystal incorporated into my buy'ce as a trophy however, haha.

That being said, here is some shots from the stripping process. I'll update with more recent ones when I get home. We'll get to some of the more juicy stuff on saturday - I hope. The weather is supposed to be warm enough (67) to work outside. My workshop is tiny and not suited for any sanding, cutting, bondo, etc...because it also contains the venting system for the whole house...sighs. ???

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2016, 11:10 AM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:16 AM »
What kind of paint were/are you using? Also, are you mixing different kinds of brands of paint?

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:03 AM »
I mixed to a certain extent originally. I used Rustoleum grey, black and hammered metallic silver (turned out pretty flaky for what I had hoped it would work as) for my primer layers and valspar latex paint (brushed - midnight bayou, black pepper, and blizzard fog.) for the main coats.

I was forum lurking at the time and it was indicated in one of the detailed tutorials by a retired OM that to a very certain extent mixing was okay. The latex paint did not come out like I envisioned but it was serviceable for the cons original rush job. A few posts prior I actually detailed what my paint composition was going to be for this time around. It's primarily rustoleum and as little mixing as possible except for maybe the accents and brush detailing.

1. Primer Layer: Rustoleum Grey Primer OR Rustoleum Automotive Filler Grey Primer; All purpose primer
2. Second Layer: Rustoleum Flat Black; Natural Weathering -(Ash)- / Carbon Scoring Layer
3. Third Layer: Rustoleum Satin Nickel OR Rustoleum Bright Coat Silver Finish; Beskar Layer
4. Primary Colour: Rustoleum Pearl Mist Metallic (Metallic White); Main Armor Paint
5. Secondary Colour: TBD Shade of undecided blue in the spirit of Valspars Midnight Bayou; Secondary Armor Paint (Auto Paint?)
6. Accent Colours: TBD Shade of black in the spirit of Valspars Cracked Pepper AND TBD form of Old Gold Metallic. (Preferably Model Paint Enamel. Not Spray, Acrylic, or Latex)

Kol Varek

« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:18 AM »
When I was painting my helmet, especially since it was its second paint job, the paint came up a rough texture. What I recommend doing is spray down the layer, then lightly sand with a 180 grit sanding sponge. This will remove any extra paint that hasn't adhered to the surface, but it won't remove all of the paint sprayed; just excess you don't want. That'll smooth out the texture and make it look sharper. Do a couple coats of that particular color if and as necessary, then move onto your next color. Worked very well for mine, let me know how that goes! PM me if you have any questions  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!