Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vhekadla Yustapir's Upgrade Construction Fjord: MKIII & Additions

• 100 Replies

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Road to Approval: Kyr'raim's Armour Construction
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Thank you ner vod! I appreciate it. I've actually documented my buy'ce and what I've done to strip it down in a separate thread that I've got in my signature. I'm very pleased with how that came out and it is the nicest looking of my stripped pieces so far. Granted that's partially cause my dads 20 year old mouse sander broke after working on my buy'ce. :o

I've sent you a quick PM.  :)

Another shot of the stripping process. This one is a bit further on but the pieces still need to be washed before I attack them with a mouse sander, whenever I can get that ordered. Till then it's hand sanding (my arm can already feel it  :laugh:) and stripping those initial layers. :-\

In the spirit of not double posting; I have updated this reply with my Mk II thigh blueprints because I am very excited to begin progress on them. I actually reached out to another member here (Guess who! No prizes though, that's a suckers bet  :laugh:) on the forums today to have a private discussion regarding them. While browsing, I stumbled upon the fact that I was not the only one to have this approach and since they were so similar and he has been posting much longer than I have, I deferred to him for permission.

I strongly dislike the idea of being accused of stealing a design off anyone, let alone a vod. So I explained where I got my inspiration from for my Mk II methods, and he gave me the green-light to proceed.

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2016, 01:52 PM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged
Contact Me: vhekadlayustapir@outlook.com
Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
After a productive weekend, though not as productive as I could be had I been working at full capacity :'(, I have an official progress update for everyone! Up until now I have been modifying my first post to include new construction blueprints and conceptual art and shots for my inspiration. This first post will continue to evolve constantly as I get more in depth and flesh out my design and backstory more fully.

• Greeble Hunting: My dad was grouching about the obnoxious amount of space that a very old laserjet 5p printer was taking on a shelf in our tiny basement. It's probably not as small as I tend to complain about but I consider the basement so because I have to share space with my mothers storage of stuff she swears we are going to get rid of in yard sales every year and all the real estate my dad's music equipment takes up (most of it because of his band). I'd much prefer to have the level of space that Ramblin Trooper has to play with. :laugh:

Anyway, tangent aside, I persuaded him to let rip it apart for anything useful before junking the rest of it appropriately. I found, in my opinion, a mini treasure trove. Including a servo! For something so old it's surprisingly not that big so I might be able to get it in my buy'ce and jury rig it. Exciting. 8) I also found pieces that will look great as rails on my weapon when I get to it, and lots of potential things for use elsewhere, particularly my gauntlets.

• Girth Belt Progress: Alright, so I began tackling the cloth side of things this weekend. I acquired quilted suede cloth, clothesline which was supposed to be cotton based on the label (turned out to be a very annoying blend of "blends" and polyester written in small print  :-X), and  rit dye colors of lemon yellow and *shudders* petal pink.

I spent the time meticulously measuring out the appropriate quantities to get my desired color of gold, but was foiled, and probably saved by the material being what it was. If I had known it wasn't cotton I would have added vinegar to the dye bath rather than salt  :-\. It came out faded and the light in the pictures below is actually deceiving on it's true hue. So alas I was forced to spray paint it with line painting spray of the only color of local rustoleum that would accent it towards the gold I wanted.

Now it is stiff but much closer to the color I desired. Any thoughts on maybe softening it but not losing the color overmuch? If not, well, I'm waiting on the courage to break out the sewing machine, pray it actually works (like everything else that hasn't been bought recently in my house this thing is older than I am :o) and figuring out how to do straight lines...???

• Paint Stripping: So close to the finish line on this here. I'm considering throwing a party when I finally do :laugh:. I finally got fed up with both my lack of a mouse sander and the weather not reacting as it is supposed to. It resulted in my current sanctuary. Upon my honour I shall fear no weather Mother Nature!

All that remains is my gauntlets and knee plates, one of which had snapped in the process of prying off paint. It's been repaired and epoxied against nearly 4000 psi of pressure. I am confident it will hold; Murphy knows to stay away right now or I will rescind the order for no disintegration's...

Glorious...

• Thigh Plate Mk II Progress: Once my thigh plates had been stripped, I drew out my construction blueprints on the actual plate and started construction. I hit a roadblock because I began to run out of time for the weekend with all the other real life things buzzing around so they aren't quite finished yet. I did manage to grab a marker and some wax paper to trace out templates off the blueprints for cutting on seperate sheets. I haven't had a chance to cut those out yet.

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 04:00 PM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged
Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

LordMitchell

• "Dodge these!" *fires rocket* ~Boba Fett
Awsome work so far!! I love the look of those thigh plates  :o
I should start looking in my basement too and see if I can find the same awsome stuff like you.

Michiel

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Thank you vod! Good luck! I always love digging through junk...it's like an adventure. I love being able to re-purpose things, providing I actually have something lying around that I can dig at. I miss the days where you could stroll down to your local junkyard and just dig around and no one cared. Not much in the way of surplus discount junk shops near where I live.

I'm pretty excited about many of the upgrades I'm planning though! Most will be fairly easy to knock out once the weather stops being a berk. I can't do any major cutting in my basement and that's the biggest next step. All assembly, sans bondo, I can do inside rain or shine. Praying for Sunday to be sunny and reasonably warm...

My progress isn't as great this week, a disappointment for me; Weather and work has been a real pain in the shebs for me. I did however manage to complete a couple of planning designs though. Forgive the scale in the second design, I tried. :laugh:

Fabric was also on sale locally so I got some real steals towards my girth belt and kama progress. Think I grabbed about two yards of both blue and black fabric for my kama design at 4.98 a yard.

I've hand-sown the girth belt rope into two bundles of 7 strands and burnt the tips, but attempting to sew simple straight lines to hem my girth belt and add fabric overlays with the ancient sewing machine pictured above...well the results, including practice cloth left me shivering in a corner with sewing induced PTSD...I'm actually not sure what to do now. It seemed so simple in my head  :'( :laugh:

I know I have someone I can approach about embroidery for the mando'a script that's going to go down one side of my outer kama. I don't wish to be committed because I attempted THAT.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2016, 05:23 PM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
I admire your abilities to plan and execute so well!

LordMitchell

Every problem has a solution! You' ll think of something, I'm sure about that.
Good luck with the weather, it doesn't exist here in our wet Belgium  :D :P

Michiel

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Ooooooh. Pretty. I can't wait to see it complete

Killing threads since 2013

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Update time! This weekend was fairly productive, toilet plumbing repairs mandating my time not withstanding...but first...

Thank you Kol!  :) I'm still hiding from preforming reconnaissance on the sewing machine, so no progress on that front. Thank you for the encouragement Mitchell, I was actually finding myself uninspired because of that kriffing machine until your post. No solution yet but I kept everything else up till i figure something out!  :D

Onto the updates.

• Thigh Plate Mk II Progress: Continuing from where I left off, I used the wax paper tracings to get an approximate cut for the additional materials I needed to move along. As of right now this piece is nearly complete. I've got belting on order to add in the last touches to the look of these plates. Then I have greeblies and bling to add in and it will be ready for painting. I will construct the add-ons for the three holders later on.

• Boot Plate Mk II Progress: In my last post I designed a new look for my boots because I was bored and the weather was hampering my progress at the time. I took advantage this weekend and made some progress on this design. I did deviate from the plan and change the approach slightly during construction. Rather than raise the main foot plate with a upside down T design by 3mm, I chose to instead depress it and move where the fake bolt holes would go.

I then did a little trimming of the edges of the main plate to connect it to the side plates and shaped it a bit to the contrours of the boot. When it is finished drying it will be able to withstand 3968 psi of pressure. (That's a lot of sheb kicking!  :laugh:) After that I will sand it down to look a little more seamless and figure out how to reliably attach it to the boot. For now...my feet have wings!!  ;D

• Chest Plate Spacing and Neck Plate Mk II Progress: I began work on the neck plate of my chest armor primarily in preparation for the construction and mounting of shoulder guards (blueprints to come; those of you paying attention to my first post edits will know where this is going...) and connector between my neck and back plates. The center mount is for the neck guard design depicted in the blueprint.

To facilitate plate removal and help guard more against vest deterioration I also hotglued all the eyelets to the vest. As an aside, I'm pretty OCD at random times; before I knew it I found myself paying close attention to my chest plates and how they shift with my body. It's a pain in the shebs to reorient them at all because I bolted them to the vest. While I'm comfortable about the fit, I'm a little nervous about the feedback. I've fought pretty hard with this to compensate for the strangeness of my upper body that messes with the fit.

On it's own it sits fine, something I measured precisely, but I have one shoulder that is larger and the muscle makes it jut up more than the other, a long neck/steep chest/high collar bone and shoulders from my torso. :-X As mentioned before earlier in the thread everything else sits really well on my body covering the spots they should be but even with consistent and appropriate placing it was way too low on my neck originally.

I've used padding to the best of my ability to compensate for this and bring the vest and armor higher up on my body from where it sits without (way too low otherwise) though my armor design had to evolve to be able to cover the issues that solution raises (i.e. backplate) due to padded shoulders/laterals. Other than analyzing myself to death like a hyperactive salarian (wrong universe I know :P) at this point, I'll let the experts chime in if they happen to come across this thread.  :laugh: Also as a side note, ignore the chest diamond. The cut from dragoncon was terrible...I just haven't gotten around to fashioning a new one yet and adding it to the kit.

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 10:22 PM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged

LordMitchell

WAW  :o what a progress!
That armor is coming allong pretty well I see! I can't really help you with the issues you have so the real experts will have to chime about that  :P
You can always contact someone you know that is good with these kind of things...
I'm gonna say it again: those thigh plates... just....AWSOME!!

Good luck vod ;)
Michiel

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Ooooh layers. Kol's a sucker for layers.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Collar looks to be a little too far away from your neck on both sides. I've got uneven shoulders (old injury) and ended up splitting my collar into three parts to allow for that as shaping it in one piece was just not working. With the collar shifted inwards a little I think you'll need a tiny bit of the outside of the top half of the chest plates. The bottom width it fine across the ab is fine as is. Also, the trauma plating on the chest plates looks a little uneven, may just be my eyes playing tricks on me though.

And those thighs needs closer inspection, you can send them to me for that ;):P

And do not let the sewing machine win! Grab some spare fabric and just start experimenting. My housemate refused to touch my machine for several years until I sat him down with some scraps and told him to just start sewing - now he's a pro and does all his own soft part making.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Thank you vod! And just think Mitchell, I'm not evendone with them yet... ;) So Excited!

Ooooh layers. Kol's a sucker for layers.

So am I Kol, so am I...layers are sexy, especially in winter. ;)

And those thighs needs closer inspection, you can send them to me for that

I have a distinct feeling I would never see them again...I'd be recieving a message that they were confiscated for the glory of Mandalore I'd imagine...  :laugh: :P

That sewing machine...well it's older than I am for one thing, another is that my mother used to sew with it and swears up and down something is wrong with it. After the inconsistant attempts at using it I'm inclined to agree. I'm certainly not giving up not with all my vode behind me. ;D What kind of mandalorian would I be if I was defeated by a sewing machine of all things!!

I think I will take my friend up on his offer of lending me the use of one of his dad's two indsutrial sewing machines. Surely one of the kriffing things must be in full working condition. If that falls through I know my mate has one of her friends that is going to be lending her one of their spares and I can use that instead.

Collar looks to be a little too far away from your neck on both sides. I've got uneven shoulders (old injury) and ended up splitting my collar into three parts to allow for that as shaping it in one piece was just not working. With the collar shifted inwards a little I think you'll need a tiny bit of the outside of the top half of the chest plates. The bottom width it fine across the ab is fine as is. Also, the trauma plating on the chest plates looks a little uneven, may just be my eyes playing tricks on me though.

I really appreciate the feedback vod, even if out of all the critiques I was imagining it wasn't what I was expecting. Usually the best feedback falls as such though. If I have to end up splitting it to compensate for my shoulders I will. (I'm just going to be a stubborn sheb about it unless I'm told i won't pass approval without doing so.)

With this feedback, I am in a slight dilemma. So I'm going to talk this out and look to my brothers and sisters here for advice as I get the creative juices flowing. Based on what you've told me, while it seems an easy fix in theory, the way my armor is set...it's actually a lot more complicated.

So here's the problem, after which I will lay out a few solutions....my collar appears to be too far away from my neck on both sides. Now my initial reaction is...oh..okay no big deal. I'll cut down the center middle of the plate and split it in two. Then take even amounts off both sides till it comes in around the vests neck seal. Once sitting better I'd JB Weld it back together in the center, add a supporting plate on the backside, sand it down, and, if necessary, place a thin layer of bondo over the center mount to hide the crack. Though the epoxy weld should do that for me.

Now we come to the real problem. This is my vest and how it's mounted.

As you can see I drilled into the leather work and put in ringlets, anchored by hotglue based on the initial feedback I got on size and fit. By bringing in the neck plate as described above I will be exposing the outer two ringlets to visibility. A similar situation will likely occur when I cut back the edges of my pec plates. Not good.

As I see it I have a few options/solutions here based on what my plans are. I can either...
  • Ignore it. I will do as the above to get the fit right and expose the bolt holes as is. The method to the madness of this option would be to add a either a normal bolt to the holes like normal or get a similar size bolt that is has the extremely small radious smooth dome type. Either way the I would end up painting them. options are to paint the exposed rings black to camoflauge against the vest or be more bold and use a colored option, either gold or blue and draw less scrutinty because I'm not hiding it.

• Utilize them. The exposed bolts in question offer a few opportunities as they are. With the upcoming design you wouldn't be able to see either of the sets of exposed bolts by my neck and shoulders once armor plating is applied. They could be used in their own way still as an anchor set of their own. I might need longer bolts but it is still usuable. This would then leave the exposed pec bolts. Though this will likely only occur on one side...which would still either apply under option A...ignore them or some how turn them into greeblies...

• Valiantly have fought a losing battle with this attempt and succumb to getting a new leather vest, though the one I have is very popular amongst any my vode that have seen it in person and I'm not sure I can get one of the same quality anymore. I got very lucky with the fit of the vest as it is. My wallet is extremely against this idea. :laugh: however what matters to me is getting approved so I can reach my goal.

With the potential solutions laid out, here is the design so you can see what I'm getting at with my madness. Kris, you mentioned that the trauma plating looks a little uneven. Are you refering to the center piece? If so, that's a mount for an overlapping neck guard seen here in the bottom half of the concept drawing below and will not be visible later. I was hoping not to need to address that piece till after approval, though if it is necessary to pass I will. It will slightly overlap a small piece of my pec plates and touch the diamond. It is inspired by my 3d armor, the second picture illustrated (I'm so tempted to start naming my illustrated references by research figures :o ...curse you Georgia Tech and your impact on my psyche! :laugh:)

Are you refering to the right and left sides? If so, how do you mean? This will affect how I go about this design becuase it is actually not trauma plating. They are shoulder mounts for my primary shoulder guards, which in turn will have minor mounts for my anti-decapitation guard which will come doen the line after approval...so I guess you could call it trauma plating :laugh: The shoulder design is pretty accurately depicted below in my 3D rendition. (which really needs to be updated again it slowly has begun to reflect my real life deisgn with a few more additions I won't be adding into my kit...now that I think about it...though it might be fun to let you all guess which bits I am looking to add in later...fiefek I keep getting on tangents. Sorry! :laugh:) You might have to click the image to get the close up of the detail.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2016, 10:45 AM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
If what I'm reading is right - you're intending to use the raised plating on either side of the collar as mounts for over the shoulder pauldron type things (I have no idea what to class them as). If so then just make sure those oversections protect slightly closer in to your neck than your current collar edge and you'll be completely fine.

And the mismatching trauma plating I was referring to is the chest plates not the collar, the two curved bits don't seem to have the same curve on each side.

And moi? confiscate them for the good of Mandalore? Never! Well maybe...

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
You're reading that right. :) I honestly got the inspiration from the roman shoulder plates on the lorica segmentata. I'll dub them Lorica for this purpose, though that is most certainly not what they are actually called... :laugh: I think I will end up trimming back the pec plates a bit more though to allow more movement. Maybe a 1/4" if I can squeeze it. And I still might try to bring in the neck a little to be honest for the sole reason for flexibility and better fit....I need to wear it again to see if it's hindering me. I'll also need to construct the base of the Lorica before making the proper determination.

I think I'll do the measurements and sintra drawings on Thursday and cutting and construction on Sunday.

My flexibility is alright, but not where I need it to be in order to sustain an actual mock fight. In the end I will have to come up with my own style (provided advertising is correct) since this build is around a medium-heavy build by definition. I feel like it is heavy, but I don't have side plating so I'm not sure it qualifies.

Oh...I see what you are talking about. I think you're right. I'll need to trim that right plate's trauma plate to match the left just a little closer. Hmm...I think I'll have to do another wax tracing of the curve to match it up...I didn't even notice that. Now it's going to bother me till I escape Talon country again and get back home. :P  I'll try to do that Thursday evening if I can. Friday is mostly booked for me and Saturday is the birthday celebrations so...not working on my armor on my birthday. Sunday though is definately up for grabs. Still so much to do!! (Goes to update first post tracker and organize) :o

I'm onto you ner vod. ;) :P

Kris Jasra

Lol. know that feeling. I still get annoyed with gauntlets at times :P As Boba actually wears electronic weapon platform bracers if you want to get historically technical.
Taking longer to get a better fit is never a bad thing, I am quite literally an envy to a lot of my clan in that I have medium, edging towards heavy armour and I can sit cross legged on the floor, lie down, pick dropped things up etc. I can say that you will not regret reworking things to get that. I've lost count of the tweaks I've made to my kit to get it sitting on me like a second skin.

And bother. Everybody always works out what I'm trying to do...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!