Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vhekadla Yustapir's Upgrade Construction Fjord: MKIII & Additions

• 96 Replies

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Looking good so far!

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
Looking good so far!

Vor entye, ner vod! Hopefully that opinion won't change too much when I suit up.  8)

I got a lot done last night. Everything is painted except for my chest plate and helmet which are currently drying in my basement. I should be able to finish detailing them tonight and suit up tomorrow for pre-approval. Without further ado, here are my updates.

Picture of my chest plate taped up for painting:

Photo of my rifle being repaired:

Everything in one place (sans chest and helmet). All pieces are aligned based on which side of the body they go except for the gauntlets which are on reversed sides because they roll over otherwise :laugh: :

Close-up of Gauntlets. First Right, then Left. Forgive my grainy photography:

Contact Me: vhekadlayustapir@outlook.com
Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
Mmm, that's some good looking armor! Can't wait to see it all assembled!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Cuy ca'nara, ner vode.

As I post this to you, I have assembled my first round of pre-approval shots for my local clan in Georgia. While I sort through them I feel the need to write a self-reflection so feel free to skip past this if you'd like to just get to the good stuff already  :P :laugh:. It has been three years since I embarked on this journey.

When I was younger, before science fiction costuming or the culture of costuming even began, my family was one of the first local ones to participate heavily in events. In that time there was no easy access to molds, materials, or the internet. Everything had to be done by hand or purchased through a friend of a friend (at least where I was born). I watched my Dad do this throughout my early years as he wired and crafted nearly everything from scratch dumpster diving in junkyards, and crafting cardboard and fiberglass armor. The extent of my participation was as a diminutive stormtrooper with my younger brother, alongside mother who was an Imperial Guard. My Dad...well my Dad is and was my inspiration for doing this...and vice versa once he saw me really get into it...but I digress.

He got me into the movies, I read every book I could get my hand on, designed mods, played video games, and at one point was so crazy enough to hijack a basement room to physically plot every known planet in canon on a 3 dimensional grid based on either their hyperspace coordinates or by extrapolating context clues on where they were most likely to be. I'm surprised I wasn;t committed. :o I have no regrets. :laugh:

This part is more of a confession on my part than anything. When I was in college, on behalf of one of my business professors, I investigated a program called Second Life. What started as a project, quickly became an escape and in that I discovered star wars roleplay. I was sucked into this entirely, my character is and was an important part in developing and discovering not only myself but my star wars identity. I won't go into unnecessary details here, but it was my decisions there and in real life that set me on a crash course with the Mercs.

At my first Dragon-con, I shared with a member of Naast, Pre-Alabama chapter a series of photohops for second life armor I was designing inspired by one of the Mercs featured on predominately on deviant art. In a hilarious set of circumstances, it turned out I was speaking directly with the one who inspired me. He welcomed me and gave me the advice that set me on my path here. I've kept his words ever since and in some ways my design still reflects parts of that in it. Particularly in my chest piece, if you squint.  :rolleyes:

With all that said, I want to thank everyone, from my family, my local chapter, armor parties, the greater community and every member I've met and has encouraged me whether at Dragon-con or on the boards (threatening to confiscate my armor for the glory of Mandalore *coughs* and glances about with paranoia), and a thankful call out to Brent (you know who you are) my fellow Alumni. Vor Entye! I've finally arrived to the pre-approval stages.

I am Vhekadla Yustapir, though I prefer to go by "Yusta." My name literally means "Sandy River", but was meant in the Spirit of a Northern Sandy River, of the Far North.

My chosen colors are White, Blue, Gold, and Black. Discarding other personal preferences or self-importance, here is a brief summary of what they mean on my armor.

• Blue: The color of Dependability, Reliability, Trustworthiness, Loyalty, and Duty. Blue is the color of the River, flowing adaptable,
     steady, and unyielding, wearing down obstacles before it with sheer force of will.
  • Gold: The color of Vengeance and signifying the overcoming of road blocks that attempt to either mislead, discourage, or drain the river of it's spirit. It is the symbol of proving others wrong. This is the sand of the river, the earthy remains left in the trails of the flowing river, swept aside by the determination. The fragments of your enemies and naysayers who doubted you.
  • Black: The color of Justice. Black signifies the triumph of the River over the Sand, the color of both ashes and the unyielding obsidian, a color which drags in the reflective thoughts of those left behind to reflect on their mistakes.
  • White: The color of purification and importance of family. White signifies the receptiveness of new ideas, adaptability and purity of heart. White signifies the ice drifting in the river, showing a steadying and regulating presence against obstacles. It signifies the ability to remain hopeful even the most trying of circumstances.

If you've skipped all that, no worries. Here is your reward! The juicy armor shots.  8)  :laugh:

Front:

Side:

Side:

Back:

Angle 1 & 2:

No Helmet:

Weapons:

May the 4th be with you all! And me... :laugh:. Here's hoping pre-approval goes well so I can submit this week. I have to travel to NY this week and am praying to the spirits be an OM by Memorial Day weekend so I can participate in the Savannah Event. Kandosii!

Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Very nice indeed.
Not quite sure with the lighting - but if your left arm has a zip on it, make sure it's hidden or removed. And I'd trim the bottom corners of the ab plate just a touch so your girth belt isn't being pulled around them.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
With some advice from a friend, I was told it would be good to attempt a shoot today anyway while it was cloudy, even if it was lightly raining to get some good shots that minimized sun-glare. With that in mind, hopefully these are better shots.

I also took your advice Kris and trimmed the bottom edges of my ab plate and shifted my girth belt down some since I believe I positioned it too high.

Front:

Side(s):

Back:

No Buy'ce:

Weapon:

I like the look but personally would like to black wash the armor to make it pop more, I'm too afraid to do so on my own without help from someone more experienced than I because I really don't want to mess up where my kit is. Hopefully I can get approved without it first and add it to the enhancement list.

Does anyone know that if you add enhancements to your armor after approval, will you have to go through the approval process again?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:26 AM by Kyr`raim Nahk`la » Logged

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Well this is a bit necro , but this is my last photo spam before my submission to approval!  :laugh:

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
First off, your kit looks great vod. The black wash looks much better. You are so close man. Everything has come together well.  I have to things that I see, keep in mind I'm not an approval member nor does my opinion matter. Your kit looks great. I love the color scheme and everything you did with it.   My only two things that pop out to me are
1.) it could be the angle but does your ab piece over lap you girth belt?  I only ask because I was pushed back for this in pre app.  i know mine can have that appearance.
2.) you blaster is dope. I love it. But it seems very clean in the photo. If you want because now your kit looks battle worn. Add some to the blaster maybe.

All in all looks great man. Be proud of your kit. I'd be honored to troop next to that. It is very very good.

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Thank you ner vod! I write to you now as an official vod. I appreciate all the feedback nevertheless and I'd like to take a minute to respond to them.

1) In this photo it does slightly. Part of that was working a bit of movie magic into the shot until I put in the Velcro strip that will run around the base of the plate and the vest. This will hold the girth belt in place to avoid any chance of it overlapping the ab plate.

From what I have heard, the girth belt can not over lap the plate, it was made very clear in that manner, but I have heard nothing about the plate overlapping a portion of the girth belt. I've found that the CRL's aren't very explicit or clear on girth belt guidelines. Something I think would be a great addition and remove any chance of misunderstanding on what is expected for that piece. If I've missed where it is detailed, please feel free to point me in the right direction so I can better educate myself.

2) I love that blaster, but you were right on the money. I've been advised by the app team to add some silver weathering to it. Something I have not yet figured out how I want to approach. I was scared it would be kicked back because it's a modified longshot rifle, with chopped up pieces, reassembled, some greeblies, and gun rails that came from an old 90's laserjet printer.  :laugh:

I'm actually in the process of constructing a second rifle using nerf as a base once again, this time using a different model. I'm going to be a lot more creative with it it this time. I have some exciting ideas thanks to a greater exposure to the various weapons I have seen my vode sport.

I appreciate it ner vod. I look forward to eventually marching beside you!

Boxception

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
Brother your kit is awesome super inspiring you earned those kill stripes.  I will also do some follow up on the ab plate girth belt question.  Seems we could use some clarification. I too am getting new blasters so I will join you in the "improvement phase of the kit"

MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Ab plate can't go over the top of the girth as that shows that the plating is not shaped to your body or is loose. The girth belt can ride up a tiny bit in troops over the ab which is fine but is preferred that it be kept down and in place. Having the girth over the ab to begin with is usually a symptom of overly long torso plates which is why things are asked to be moved.

I'll give the CRL writing team a link to this so they can see about clarifying things.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps

I'll give the CRL writing team a link to this so they can see about clarifying things.

I'm on it. Perhaps we can clear up any confusion with a CRL brush up. It will be discussed.

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

Boxception

Thanks for the clarification congrats again on the kill stripes vod.  As for the leadership appreciate the feedback. I don't want to give out false information to anyone especially since I'm still new.  I will be working to posting my brigade work within the ne t two weeks. I'm excited to work towards a recon build.

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
Ab plate can't go over the top of the girth as that shows that the plating is not shaped to your body or is loose. The girth belt can ride up a tiny bit in troops over the ab which is fine but is preferred that it be kept down and in place. Having the girth over the ab to begin with is usually a symptom of overly long torso plates which is why things are asked to be moved.

Just to see if I'm processing what you've shared correctly.

Girth Belt OVER Ab Plate: A symptom of overly long torso plates which exposes a high likelihood of a potential fitting problem. It is alright for the belt to ride up a little bit during events, but it is highly preferred that it be anchored down in one manner or another.

Girth Belt UNDER Ab Plate If a girth belt is under the ab plate it's a potential issue that the plates aren't sitting flush against your body (bad shaping) and there might be some concern around the method of attachment being appropriate or secure.

What about wraps? It may just be older kits I've seen this with and the standards have long been updated, but I think I've recalled cloth wraps being common under the plate in some form or fashion, even only at the corners because of the thinness of the material makes it easy to slip under the plate no matter how it is attached (bolts, velcro, etc)

I appreciate all the work you guys do, I really appreciate the clarification.

Thanks for the clarification congrats again on the kill stripes vod.  As for the leadership appreciate the feedback. I don't want to give out false information to anyone especially since I'm still new.  I will be working to posting my brigade work within the ne t two weeks. I'm excited to work towards a recon build.

Vore entye ner vod. That's great to hear! I'm going to be shoring up some small details amongst my blaster work and upgrades. I think that I'm eventually going to go Jedi Hunter Brigade myself.

Kris Jasra

Correct on both counts.  The belt over ab we'll give some leniency for over the very bottom of the ab, especially just the corners - as said things move, but high amounts is a certain no - we've seen sash/girth's used that completely cover the ab and sit over the bottom of the chest fangs. The ab over belt is a clear no.

Ab wraps instead of ab plates are no longer in use, old pictures may still show them in albums.

Sash's used instead of girth belts are treated the same as girth belts, they may move a little in troops and that's fine, as you said, thinner materials will work under even easier than rope. But if slipping under the bottom corners a fair way instead of just a little bit happens every troop best to work on better securing the ab corners as over the top slipping is preferred to under.

We like questions, especially ones which point out something we can potentially change/improve upon and thus further help future members with.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!