Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clone styled boots tutorial for the mando on the go

• 17 Replies

Tahl Taab

• Tahl Buir shall return!!!!!!
Clone styled boots tutorial for the mando on the go
« on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:59 PM »

Here's a list of things you;ll need first;

1.) one yard of white marine grade vynal

2.) humongo tacks (I used two packs, one per shoe)

3.) three tubes of "shoe goo"

4.) white thread and a sewing needle

5.) some sort of plastic, metal, formica type of what ever you armor will be made from.
   enough to do two plates on your feet and make straps with.

6.) white "Athletics Works" shoes from wal-mart

7.) button snaps

8.) five minute epoxy

9.) your mando paint colors and your own weathering.

First thing first, you'll want to make an attempt at keeping the boot to scale with your foot so it'll look right on you.
Do dry runs of parts and make sure it's where you want it to be before you cut anything, the old adage "measure twice cut once"

So without a due here ya go.

1.) take your shoe and set it up to be a slip on. you can either just tie the laces and tuck'em like I did or you could sew them
   to the tongue. either way, they will still be covered up later so looks don't matter, only comfort.

2.) Now your shoe is ready for the vynal you'll have to cut some off of your roll. You'll need enough to wrap almost all the way
   around. Make sure to leave a gap in the front and most importantly, don't forget that you'll be stretching the vynal over
   the shoe so take that into mind when you leave your gap.

something I also did with mine was to leave enough to seal up my ankles, you know for those not so sunny days and the mudd
   gets to deep.

3.) Once you get your main piece done, you'll want to add the toe piece, the little strip on the toe area. You can sew it on once
   you have it's width figured out. Remember to keep in a proportion for you. with the sewing part, just lay it all inside out and bring your two ends to your toe piece and stitch one side at a time till you have a ring in the shape of a boot top.

You can also do what I did on my first set, just glue it on with shoe goo later and add a couple of stitches to re-inforce it.

4.) now you're ready to goop the shoe up with shoe goo. I used 1 1/2 tube per shoe so you could use more or less depends on
   your shoe size I guess. ( I'm a 10.5 )
   anyway, start at the heal and goop up from the side sole to the top of the shoe. place beads of goop about every inch but
   ease off from the front. leave it for later unless you're doing the toe stitched version, then goop the whole thing up in the
   pattern mentioned. As you lay the vynal on, pull it down over the top part of the side sole and use the large humongo
   tacks to hold it in place. once this stuff is all done, you'll be trimming off excess vynal.

now, once you've let it dry for those that are adding the toe later, you can remove you tacks and not worry about the vynal
   pulling off. this will help you to get a better fit and have less stress on the material.

5.) once you're ready to place your toe piece goop up the rest of the shoe, and you could add a stitch or two to the top of you
   toe piece and laces to help hold it into place. it's gonna be covered with an armor plate anyway so don't worry about
   appearances on the under side of the plate. once you get that on, let the shoe goo dry completely so when you go to place
   your plate you don't have it oozing out.

6.) Making you plate is pretty easy to do, I based mine off of a few good pics of clone boots only to realize they are almost
   similar to mando shoulder armor in shape. Here's a few shots I used;

Makeing your plates is pretty easy, just practice with some cardboard scap to get it just right, then commit it to
   your material of choice ( metal, plastic )

I really didn't use a pattern for mine but used trial and error to get my shapes to where I liked it and then made it reversed
   for the other foot.

side view

6.) You might want to add some velcro or button snaps to close up your top flap around your ankles

7.) also you'll be adding a set of snaps to the downward curve of the ankle area of the shoe. I placed mine about center of the
   curve and these will hold your buckle plate on.

8.) The buckle plate is roughly two inches but yet again, go for the proportion. Try it out with cardboard until you're happy
   and it all looks good together. Once you have it in cardboard, you now have a template to make you actual pieces.

I used the other side of the button snap and five minute epoxy to attach the snap piece to the plate.

And here's a finished look;

It helps to get your plates painted up before placing them so your whole boot will get the same weathering treatment
and look better over all.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to drop me a line or two.

Re: Clone styled boots tutorial for the mando on the go
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Looks great!  and thanks for the tutorial, thats a brilliant idea...maybe one of the mods could pin it?

And to anyone who is building a clone:  I would suggest this method.  its less expensive then buying "clone boots"  and MUCH more comfortable...otherwise you feet will be in pain by the end of 45 minutes....

Granyn Uresadenn

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 03:41 AM »
LOL
thanks for the info Phoenix! I take it you learned from experience?

that's a great looking tutorial.  Pin! Pin! Pin! Pin!
I hadn't realized how accurate you made those boots! awesome work.
what do you think would be used on a BARC/41st Elite?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tion'ad hukaat'kama?

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Probably not a pinned topic, but it definitely should end up in the tutorial links in the SOFT STUFF INFO sticky.

Nice work! This will work with any style of boot correct? I've been thinking about changing my boots to something more time-friendly.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Tahl Taab

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:41 AM »
there are a few types of shoes used for the 41st clones and the galactic marines.  I might have to track a set down and have a go with it, see how it turns out and all.

Tahl Taab

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:44 AM »
this method works well for clone styled but you could mix up colors of vynal, change plates, mix it up a bit. However, the buisier the shoe is under the vynal, the more of its detail will show through.

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Right now I have BackTrail leather boots that are a pain to lace up every time I wear them. I'm thinking of using your tut to change them now to more of a slip-on-velcro-closed military styled with the plate already attached.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Apollo Falco

• Lone Mando from HVM
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Great tutorial, that's better than I've seen some clone builders do them

Granyn - here's a tutorial for your needs http://53rdfac.proboards98.com/index.cgi?board=kama&action=display&thread=204. It's not perfect, but making boots that look just like the BARC/GM boots would require fg casting or vac forming

again, really cool boots, Tahl

That's what I'm talking about. It's a power generator, in the middle of a tree. Strange
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM »
LOL

Yeah, I wore them all day at SDCC....ouch...

Granyn Uresadenn

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:39 PM »
yeah I bet, my pirate boots that I wear with my jedi outfit in the pictures... suck.
I'm getting a real $500 pair of custom made boots eventually, it's just until then LOL
right now in the pirate group, I don't even wear those, I just run around in my home-made rope sandals or bare-foot.

Tion'ad hukaat'kama?

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2008, 12:25 PM »
I love it! Great idea, dude! ;)

Jacyn Snow

• AKA Aran Kerir AKA Jordan Masters
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:29 AM »
man i think i wana try this idea, right now im goin with steel toe work boots, but i like this much better and its probably more comfortable

USMC- Mandeplorable

pretzils

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2009, 11:39 AM »
LOL

that's a great looking tutorial.  Pin! Pin! Pin! Pin!
I hadn't realized how accurate you made those boots! awesome work.
what do you think would be used on a BARC/41st Elite?

try the same prosses, but make the ankle bit, a lot larger and add plastic bits and differet matearials and add your own flair

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009, 02:06 PM by Taglar Dreskk » Logged

Jonas Isdia Neravar

• "Shoot to kill....Aim to live."
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2009, 06:02 PM »
nice!! I'm glad I saw this, I'm planning on making a clone-like-shin-armor-thats-not-like-the-clones, and I've always wonderedwhat kind of shoe to use with it

Armor progress:
Helmet--97%
Torso Armor--100%
Gaunts--95%
Cuisse--0%
Greaves--100%
Soft parts--100%
Weapons--80%
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to try this one with a pair of black slip on shoes.  Would leather work just as well compaire to the marine nylon?

Tahl Taab

« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:57 PM »
I'm sure it would, as long as it can stretch and the glue hold once it's set, should be fine.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Kandosii.  Thanks.:-)

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2023, 02:24 AM »
These look incredible, I honestly am looking to do knee high boots for my mando but I may use this tutorial to make my Cody armor, they look really good

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!