Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Boba Fett Helmet from Target

• 134 Replies

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: New Boba Fett Helmet from Target
« Reply #75 on: Sep 26, 2015, 12:19 AM »
I wear a size 8 hat and it's roomy for me.

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #76 on: Sep 26, 2015, 12:26 AM »
It's a hair larger than a 1:1 Boba helmet -- so sized for someone in the 6'1" range and average build.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #77 on: Sep 26, 2015, 07:00 AM »
Ah, well I'm average build but 5'9". Should maybe just be ok.

Dha'ward Firaxan

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #78 on: Sep 26, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Sweet! Sounds like a fun little project

Mandalorian Mercs - Firaxan Clan
« Reply #79 on: Sep 26, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Ive got one right now that I am stripping down, however I will need a new RF Stalk.

Vera Bellator

• Trans (MtF), She/Her/Hers, Lesbian, and Engaged.
« Reply #80 on: Sep 27, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I'm 5'3" but otherwise average build.  What do you think, Vode?  Should this look ok on me?  If it works it'll save me money, a good thing as I'm in college.  I may have to go look at them tomorrow after class.

"The Opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #81 on: Sep 27, 2015, 08:21 PM »
I'm 5'3" but otherwise average build.  What do you think, Vode?  Should this look ok on me?  If it works it'll save me money, a good thing as I'm in college.  I may have to go look at them tomorrow after class.
All depends on how wide your shoulders are, also pauldrons will make a difference.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #82 on: Sep 27, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Below is a picture of it next to my ROTJ Bobamaker

Drek'ar Ventress

• Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #83 on: Sep 27, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Awesome pic Mavik. Perfect example why the stalk should be replaced.

Beautiful ROTJ helm vod!!! :o

« Reply #84 on: Sep 27, 2015, 11:31 PM »
If this also helps I am 6ft with a head measuring 24 inches around and a 44in chest this bucket is a pretty good size once I put padding back in it. I also filled the dent in with bondo and sanded with 150g and 240g sandpaper to get it to take paint.

Aur'on Gur

• Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #85 on: Oct 01, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Here is my mod. Dent filed. Ear caps reinforced. Repainted and stalk replaced with a 3D file from Kuu's thread.

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
 Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid...'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
« Reply #86 on: Oct 01, 2015, 02:14 PM »
I know many have mentioned reinforcing this bucket. Glassing and bondo obviously isn't ideal since it won't bond to the plastic, it will eventually separate and ya have to redo it. I had a small strip of abs, so I used that with loctite brand plastic epoxy to adhere strips inside behind the ears. I then took some single layer strips of carbon fiber and epoxied it into the the back quarters of the helmet, overlapping the and behind the ears. There was a decent amount of flex at the cheeks, so I epoxied in 2 layer carbon fiber. Then from the edges of the top of the visor opening toward the back, I added more strips of 2 layer carbon fiber. It's really strengthened this thing up and it's still very light.

« Reply #87 on: Oct 01, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Anyone else been having trouble with it taking paint?  Despite sanding the original paint off amd successfully painting the rest of the helmet, the paint bubbled and cracked on one cheek. So now I have to sand that down and I am afraid of having to sand the whole thing because of it. Can this be fixed and isolated to just that section?

Vera Bellator

« Reply #88 on: Oct 02, 2015, 07:13 PM »
So I bought mine today, got it most of the way disassembled, but I can't figure out how to take the stock visor out so I can replace it.  Anyone done this yet? Thoughts on what to replace it with?

"The Opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Aur'on Gur

• Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #89 on: Oct 02, 2015, 08:07 PM »
The visor needs to be dremeled out.

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
 Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid...'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #90 on: Oct 02, 2015, 08:14 PM »
A #5 welding visor, it's what they used in the movies.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Vera Bellator

« Reply #91 on: Oct 02, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Got it.  Thanks vode, the info is very much appreciated.  Guess I'll break out the dremel this weekend.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #92 on: Oct 02, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Got it.  Thanks vode, the info is very much appreciated.  Guess I'll break out the dremel this weekend.
Number 5 welding visor!

QMU#084
« Reply #93 on: Oct 02, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but doing a little web browsing, why is the #5 visor typically so much more expensive than the other shades (dark green eg)?

A #5 welding visor, it's what they used in the movies.

Bowfanny

« Reply #94 on: Oct 02, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but doing a little web browsing, why is the #5 visor typically so much more expensive than the other shades (dark green eg)?
Supply and demand Vod. It's also the ones the welder a use the most lol

QMU#084
« Reply #95 on: Oct 12, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I figured I would add to the pictures here.
I'm 5'6", 138lb with broader than average shoulders for my build.

The clear visor is pretty meh, but for a quick and dirty costume with less than a week to the event, I'll live with it.

And my 6' 190lb boyfriend in same helmet, for size comparison, looks much better on him IMO

I noticed some posters here and elsewhere were considering "popping out" the dent with a heat gun.  I was not successful.  The dent came out easily, but left a ridge around the outline that I could not get smoothed out.  Instead, I just deformed the area around the dent.  I was hoping it might be subtle enough to paint over, but a coat of paint made it way worse.  In the end, I'll have to bondo it anyway.  You'll have to zoom in on the picture of my boyfriend to see it; my photo of that didn't come out at all.  There is the ridge right at the edge of where the dent was, and then another ridge in the heated zone from where I tried to smooth out the ridge.  I'll post again once bondo is complete for the final photo.

Bowfanny

« Reply #96 on: Oct 12, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Even with that ridge on there Vod the amount of bondo work to fix it is minimal compared to what you would have had to do otherwise.

QMU#084
« Reply #97 on: Oct 17, 2015, 11:10 AM »
I just filled the dent on mine with sme bondo amd sanded the holy hell out of it. Had to use some 60g, 150g 250g and finally a 550g to get it to blend in with the plastic, didnt take very long and looks pretty solid.

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #98 on: Oct 17, 2015, 03:19 PM »
You can get them for $6 at your local Napa or welding supply place.
Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Darasuum_Tracinya

• I am Darasuum Tracinya, The Eternal Flame
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #99 on: Oct 23, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Here is my Rubies Deluxe Boba Fett Helmet,picked it up from Target in September, didn't know how lucky I was when I saw it on the shelf...Now I'm seeing that a lot of people are hunting down this model. I repainted it, although I know I still need to fill in the dent,replace or get rid of the range finder,seal the lines and tint/replace the visor.

OM #1842 | Naast Clan #1842 | Cabur Akaata #115 | MBHT-NA  OM #015
Main WIP   Burning Bright So That They May See

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!