Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bfa's WOF template build attempt

• 64 Replies

Bfahome

• I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Re: Bfa's WOF template build attempt
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2015, 01:22 AM »
Glassed the inside of the helmet this morning.  I'd done a bit of Bondo on the top of it before, but trying to sand it made the helmet deform in a way I didn't like, so I figure I'd make it more rigid first and then work on the shape.  Probably going to sand the excess resin down and then patch up any bits I missed as a next step.  Fun fun!

(It's getting much heavier now. :P)

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:32 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Bfahome

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Assembled the right ear cap with antennae and installed a potentiometer in it.  Haven't figured out what it'll be used for exactly, but at least it'll look neat, and hopefully like something you'd find on a comm.

One thing I could use it for is fan control, since I found a laptop cooling pad at Goodwill that had three little fans in it.

They even light up!

I also smoothed down the initial mess of Bondo I had put on the dome, so it's at least something I can work off of now.  Not bothering with a picture of that, since it's not much to look at.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:34 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Looking good!

QMU#084

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:21 PM »
A bit of warning about the fans. Generally squirrel cage style fans are more appropriate for helmet cooling as you don't have an exposed prop spinning near your face and squirrel cages focus the air more. It's still a matter of preference just thought I'd pass along though

Bfahome

« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2015, 05:40 PM »
A bit of warning about the fans. Generally squirrel cage style fans are more appropriate for helmet cooling as you don't have an exposed prop spinning near your face and squirrel cages focus the air more. It's still a matter of preference just thought I'd pass along though
My plan for these fans, so far, is just one or two in the back under the keyslot/vent (not yet cut) to force at least some air circulation.  I'll figure out some way to add a guard to them too, probably.

Bfahome

« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2015, 04:49 PM »

Where I'm at for the moment.  Initial layer of Bondo sanded down, another layer applied to fix the shape.  Been hitting it with a hair dryer to help it cure, since the weather is now cold and the sun is hiding.

Also ordered some Sintra for armor, that's supposed to get here Monday.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:35 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2015, 04:56 PM »
The phase that tests our patience! Sanding and bondo!

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Yeah, it's a haul, but I've done similar things before so I know how slow it can be. :P

Anyway, here's roughly what the right ear cap will look like.  I think there'll be a couple of buttons on there too, for electronics reasons.

The lower piece will have a row of five little LEDs that'll blink in some pattern, controlled by an Adafruit Trinket.  The potentiometer will control the pattern somehow, either in speed or brightness, and the buttons will control the pattern and possibly the fans.  The power source will be an Anker portable charger.

e: WIP selfie

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:36 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Bfahome

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:33 AM »
You know, I told myself I wasn't going to do a rangefinder for this helmet.  Baby steps, I said, one thing at a time.  I was, of course, lying to myself.

It helps that I had to buy a few 9g servos for a school project, and then realized how well my Trinket fit into the RF end piece.

I have some pretty fun ideas about what I might do with this discovery.  I'm thinking of possibly putting the Trinket in the RF for complex light control, and using an Arduino Uno in the helmet itself to drive the servo and control everything.  That way I should only have to run three wires up the RF stalk; two to provide power to the Trinket, and one for serial commands from the Uno.  I'll have to plan further to see what exactly this will allow me to do in the RF, as it'll basically have its own microcontroller at that point.  Was thinking about some number displays or color-shifting LEDs.

I also did some sanding on the dome today, follower by filling some of the more egregious pits with Apoxie Scuplt.  It's slowly taking shape, though still extremely rough around the edges; it's hard to get there with sandpaper, so I'll probably have to take my Dremel to it with some sanding wheels.  Progress is slim, no thanks to the change in weather, though I won't argue with a 50 day mid-December in the northeast. ;D  No lasting snow yet!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:38 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Arch

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Haha, I haven't seen wooden earcaps before, either! Great idea!

Bowfanny

« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:24 PM »
Haha, I haven't seen wooden earcaps before, either! Great idea!
Wood works great!

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:56 PM »
I hear a good way to seal wood is a resin + acetone mix, to help it actually penetrate the wood rather than just being on the surface, so that's what my plan is at the moment.

As for the rest of the helmet:

Not much visible change, but I've done a lot of Dremel sanding on the dome with some Apoxie Sculpt spot filling in between.  Also been hitting the crevices around the dome's base with the tool's grinding wheel to clear them up and make them as crisp as possible.  The cheeks, though, need a lot of work that I haven't put into them yet to get the nice sharp lines.  I'll try to shape them with Bondo at some point soon.

Also I've decided against having the Trinket contained in the RF.  It's not too heavy, but it's more weight than I want to put on the servo.  So I'm keeping it in the helmet.  Probably going to use this NeoPixel setup in the RF instead, since it'd still only need three wires run up the stalk to work.

Bfahome

« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:53 PM »

Got the Bondo on the cheeks, now waiting for a good day to sand them.

There are also several patches of chipboard that were exposed by all the sanding that I've done, so I'm going to hit those with my next batch of resin along with my other helmet and hopefully my wooden sword blades.  Hopefully I can nab some acetone from one of the labs around campus.

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Have patience with the sanding. Doing a concave face like the cheeks can be maddening, especially if you're trying to get a crisp line where the two faces meet.

Bowfanny

« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Have patience with the sanding. Doing a concave face like the cheeks can be maddening, especially if you're trying to get a crisp line where the two faces meet.
Ditto, if you want to one up your game a good challenge is a Vizsla phase 2 helmet because those cheeks are multi directional!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!