Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bfa's WOF template build attempt

• 64 Replies

Bfahome

• I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Re: Bfa's WOF template build attempt
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2016, 11:50 PM »
Have patience with the sanding. Doing a concave face like the cheeks can be maddening, especially if you're trying to get a crisp line where the two faces meet.
i figured it might be.  Hopefully the Dremel should make it slightly easier, like it did for the dome area.

And if not, well, battle damage. :P

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:38 AM »
The plan was to do something like I did here,
Oh my god is that a prop Hau :o i'm so jealous right now. First ElJay now you  :-[ I really need to make one  :P

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins they should both have ropes around their necks."

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"

Bfahome

« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2016, 02:39 PM »
Yeah.  It's been out of commission for a while though.

Anyway, to give this some substance, been working on the rangefinder.  A friend of mine has a 3D printer, so I modeled up a stalk (based on the measurements from the WOF template) and he printed it for me:

It's really just a test piece.  It's two halves with a channel up the middle.  A servo extension wire fits in it, which I'll be using to run the NeoPixel Jewel in the RF proper.

After confirming that it works well I made a few tweaks to the design and then modeled the RF end piece and its cover to fit on the stalk and to hold the Jewel.  I can share the files if anyone wants, not sure what filetype to save them in, though (they're made in SolidWorks '15 Student Edition).

Bfahome

« Reply #33 on: Apr 14, 2016, 07:48 PM »
The weather was very nice today, perfect for sitting outside and doing some helmet sanding.

After some bits of Apoxie Sculpt with some sharpie lines, I think one more bout of detailed sanding should nail down the cheek shape.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Apr 14, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Looking good Vod. You're nearly there!

QMU#084

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #35 on: Apr 15, 2016, 01:09 AM »
Love the wooden ears, looking forward to seeing your rangefinder complete!

Bjourk's All-Steel Build WIP - (Helmet build link on the jump)

Bfahome

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 01:58 PM »

Started attaching the ear caps.  The part over the RF pivot will be held on with magnets so it and the RF can be removed.  I also attached a little thing to the forehead because I though it'd look cool.  A few more touch-ups and it's time for primer, I think.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 02:23 PM »
The forehead thing does look pretty cool.

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 04:33 PM »
It's prime time.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Always exciting

Bfahome

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01 PM »
Took a short break from the helmet to graduate.

Decided to represent.

In actual news, got another rangefinder print from my buddy.  New stalk and the two pieces that form the end.

Interesting fact: the Adafruit NeoPixel Jewel fits almost perfectly into the lids of those little tubes that epoxy putty comes in.  I designed the inner piece of the RF model to have a circular hole that the lid can press-fit into.  Ta-da, fun and unique rangefinder "display" that can light up in fun and unique ways!

Bfahome

« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Been tidying up the helmet on and off for a while, making sure I can attach the right ear cap in a way that makes sense but still be removable to get to the rangefinder attachment.  Originally I thought magnets would be good to attach it but now I'm leaning towards short bolts that I can thread nuts onto from the inside of the helmet, provided there's room for my head of course.

Also been working on getting rid of artifacts of the build process, such as the bottom rim being rather weak and peeling from insufficient resin.  I added an extra layer of chipboard to try and solidify things a bit and resined that part again:

This should provide a better base for things like Bondo, Apoxie Sculpt, or epoxy putty to make the rim more solid.

Also, yes, that's a giant slot cut into the left side of the helmet.  I figure due to my lack of keyslots in the back I can have the ventilation system pull air through the slot down the middle of the left ear cap, because it's not really doing anything otherwise.  Two of the cooling pad fans stacked on top of each other covers pretty much the entire slot, and I think it'd be pretty cool to see the blue light coming from the inside.  Have to decide if I'm going to try and fit the third fan on the right side somehow and how that would interact with the ear cap, and whether it would be blowing inward to get ventilation from both sides or blowing outward to get a left-to-right airflow.

Jacyn Snow

• AKA Aran Kerir AKA Jordan Masters
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #42 on: Jul 26, 2016, 03:49 PM »
looks good vode i like the greeblies you put on the front of the bucket looks cool

USMC

Bfahome

« Reply #43 on: Jul 31, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Got a can of metallic silver as a base, decided to give the helmet a coat.

Debating on how well to sand it because any silver visible will be from weathering and "damage" (explosive in origin) so I don't want it to look too perfect.

« Reply #44 on: Jul 31, 2016, 09:48 PM »
looking awesome cant wait to see the final finished helmet

Also if you want arduino code for the servo rang finder just PM me as i used a custom arduino board to power and work the servo but it will work with a uno but im getting a nano for my helmet as its smaller but if you have another Adafruit Trinket that will work too for the servo.my sketch is a one button press the RF moves down for about 10 seconds or you can change how long then it auto raises the RF. 

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!