Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Raestin's Soft Parts W.I.P.

• 37 Replies

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Raestin's Soft Parts W.I.P.
« on: Sep 28, 2015, 09:40 AM »
I'm finally starting a soft parts WIP.  A few weeks ago, my wife Kebiin and I bought a sewing machine.  I *had* some old black military boots that I got from Ebay, but I've decided not to use them.  They were lined with some sort of sherpa and it was SUPER hot.

After lots of practice, I used charcoal grey duck cloth to finally completed a vest that I'm pretty proud of (as seen by the goofy grin).  It's nice and fitted.  It fastens with snaps on one side that are covered with a velcro flap so you don't see them. Should hold up to my pvc pipe plates really well.

In a few days I plan on ordering this flight suit from Amazon.  I've heard good things about them, just needs the pockets removed and it'll be good to go.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EYXV9M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=U0097H0A7A53&coliid=I75U637AHK3RN&psc=1

Here are the pouches that we plan to use.  I have some Fiebing's deglazer and some black leather dye.  Hoping they turn out good!

Well, that's it for now.  I'll update the thread soon!

Re: Raestin's Soft Parts W.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Looking good, vod! Nicely done!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Kebiin Ke'Varek

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2015, 12:37 PM »
You did a great job on the vest.  It's certainly been fun pretending to know how to use a sewing machine.  :P 
And, btw....I like that "goofy" grin.   :D

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:39 PM »
This may seem like a small update, but honestly it was a big deal to me!  It felt so good to finally finish the vest!

I added the shoulder bells today using the TDH template.  Turned out great!

I'll be tailoring the flight suit this week also.  The legs need to be taken in a good bit.  I'll post some before and after pics in a few days.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Congrats, vod! Finishing any piece is a cause for celebration ;D

It looks real nice. Keep up the good work!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Got some goodies in today!! 

New girth belt from Sidi!!! She's selling orange now, so I had to have one since my kit will be orange, white & navy. It's pretty bright at the moment, but it'll be heavily weathered before it's all done.  :)

Also picked up some gently used Timberland boots from Ebay at a super sweet price.

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Nice job Raestin! I like your flak vest and girth belt. Kandosii!

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Finished my neck seal this morning!!  I used a black t-shirt for the skirting...it turned out a little sloppy, but it'll be under my flight suit, so I'm not stressing...  :P

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Looks good ner'vod.  :) I haven't attached a skirt to mine, but I may. We'll see...

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Nice work Raestin,

Your vest is looking realy good.  I didn't even try to make my vest, had my mom do it so I have no merit.

Keep up the good work.

Eric

Kebiin Ke'Varek

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I don't think the neck seal is sloppy.  Looks great, good work....especially for someone who learned to sew on YouTube! :P

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:37 AM »
I don't think the neck seal is sloppy.  Looks great, good work....especially for someone who learned to sew on YouTube! :P

This  :) I'm in the same boat vod. I'm still trying to find a time when my wife can show me how to use her sewing machine. :) I may start on my girth belt in the mean time.  ;D

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:49 AM »

Hehe.  Thanks!  I really love YouTube!!   I figured one of us better get good at using the sewing machine!!   ;)  :P

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Looks great, especially for your first project!  Keep up the good work!

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:33 PM »
That neck suit looks good, is it stretchy? what's the bulging parts made from?

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:39 PM »
I used some black duck-cloth I had, so it's not really stretchy.  I made a pocket with it and used two layers of poly quilt batting for the filling.  Then I just ran a few lines of stitching down it to create the "tubing" effect, sewed the bottom shut by attaching the skirting, and added some velcro.  It was actually really easy!  :)

Hope that helps! 

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Nice one, vod! And +1 on the learning to sew on YouTube (OK, I had some help from my Mom too...)

Your seal looks a lot like what mine turned out to look like. I'm thinking of a different approach for version 2.0, one which will be scooped down at the front so it doesn't rub quite so much under the jawline...

Looking good d00d!!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Ya that's kind of what i thought, it looks great, i think i'll do something similar!

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Ok, so I think I've pretty much finished up my soft parts.  I'm toying around with the idea of a single shoulder cape...just not sure yet.

Here's the fligh suit before alterations...very baggy!! (Sorry for the crappy pic)

And here is it after being altered!!  I removed the collar, sewed up the pleats on the shoulders, took in the arms and legs, and finally hemmed up the arms and legs.  It fits like a glove, but I still have room to move around.  :)

Here are all of my soft parts!  The only thing really left is another blaster for the left side.  I have another DL-44 in the works. Once it's done, I'll get another drop holster from Jaing.  :)

I do still plan on weathering all of the soft stuff, but that shouldn't be too hard.  Feels good to get to this point!!   :D :D :D

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Kandosii vod! I shouldn't be too far behind. :)

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Hello Raestin,

I'm toying around with the idea of a single shoulder cape...just not sure yet.

I know your just thinking of adding a cape to your kit, but do you have any idea on how to attach it to your shoulder?  I'm doing a shoulder cape and I'm having trouble finding a discrete mounting point/mechanism on my vest.

Also, how did you finished the neck ounce the collar was removed?  That is something I also have to do that troubles me.  Y

By the way, nice job on your suit.  Been there lately.

Thanks

Eric

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:56 AM »
I know your just thinking of adding a cape to your kit, but do you have any idea on how to attach it to your shoulder

For the cape, I would most likely attach it via shoulder studs like Boba. It's pretty easy, just put an eyelet in the corner of the cape. Then use a shoulder stud with a bolt in it that goes through the plate.

As for the collar, when I ripped the stitching from it, there was about 1/2" of material sticking up from the suit that I was able to fold & press. Once I stitched it down, it made a nice, clean collar-less seam. Hope that makes sense!!  :P

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I may have to do the collar removal on mine. I'll have to look at it to see if it lends itself to that.

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Looking really good!!
Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!