Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Raestin's Soft Parts W.I.P.

• 37 Replies

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Raestin's Soft Parts W.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:39 PM »
I used some black duck-cloth I had, so it's not really stretchy.  I made a pocket with it and used two layers of poly quilt batting for the filling.  Then I just ran a few lines of stitching down it to create the "tubing" effect, sewed the bottom shut by attaching the skirting, and added some velcro.  It was actually really easy!  :)

Hope that helps! 

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Nice one, vod! And +1 on the learning to sew on YouTube (OK, I had some help from my Mom too...)

Your seal looks a lot like what mine turned out to look like. I'm thinking of a different approach for version 2.0, one which will be scooped down at the front so it doesn't rub quite so much under the jawline...

Looking good d00d!!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Ya that's kind of what i thought, it looks great, i think i'll do something similar!

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Ok, so I think I've pretty much finished up my soft parts.  I'm toying around with the idea of a single shoulder cape...just not sure yet.

Here's the fligh suit before alterations...very baggy!! (Sorry for the crappy pic)

And here is it after being altered!!  I removed the collar, sewed up the pleats on the shoulders, took in the arms and legs, and finally hemmed up the arms and legs.  It fits like a glove, but I still have room to move around.  :)

Here are all of my soft parts!  The only thing really left is another blaster for the left side.  I have another DL-44 in the works. Once it's done, I'll get another drop holster from Jaing.  :)

I do still plan on weathering all of the soft stuff, but that shouldn't be too hard.  Feels good to get to this point!!   :D :D :D

Ju'siik Kelborn

• Anade buirk val nar
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Kandosii vod! I shouldn't be too far behind. :)

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter Mayhew

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs Charity Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Hello Raestin,

I'm toying around with the idea of a single shoulder cape...just not sure yet.

I know your just thinking of adding a cape to your kit, but do you have any idea on how to attach it to your shoulder?  I'm doing a shoulder cape and I'm having trouble finding a discrete mounting point/mechanism on my vest.

Also, how did you finished the neck ounce the collar was removed?  That is something I also have to do that troubles me.  Y

By the way, nice job on your suit.  Been there lately.

Thanks

Eric

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:56 AM »
I know your just thinking of adding a cape to your kit, but do you have any idea on how to attach it to your shoulder

For the cape, I would most likely attach it via shoulder studs like Boba. It's pretty easy, just put an eyelet in the corner of the cape. Then use a shoulder stud with a bolt in it that goes through the plate.

As for the collar, when I ripped the stitching from it, there was about 1/2" of material sticking up from the suit that I was able to fold & press. Once I stitched it down, it made a nice, clean collar-less seam. Hope that makes sense!!  :P

Ju'siik Kelborn

• Anade buirk val nar
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I may have to do the collar removal on mine. I'll have to look at it to see if it lends itself to that.

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter Mayhew

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Looking really good!!
Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs Charity Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Thanks Raestin, I manage to get the collar off.  Like you said, there was enogh material in the collar that I was able to fold it back and press it.

As form the cape, I wish I could do the Boba method.  My collar plate and my back plate are more like Jango.  I might just do 2 eyelets along the shoulder seam of the vest and attach it with studs and caps.

Again, thanks for the info.

Eric

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Looks great vod! You'll be ready to get approval for OM in no time!

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Jorbe Falco

• Jorbe Falco - Fly Casual
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Looking good, vod! Did you know how to sew before this? I'm going to try to learn to sew and I'm just wondering how much experience you had before you started, because it looks like you know what you are doing.

Jorbe Falco

Armor WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=101471
Helmet WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103925.0
Soft Parts WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=104506.0

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do"

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Haha, thanks, but no...  I had no clue how to sew before starting my soft parts!  Thanks to the vode here, and YouTube, I'm slowly picking it up.  Just get a decent machine, some scrap material/supplies and practice practice practice!  Good luck, and if I can help with anything, please let me know.

Aden Banto

• Out of my entire arsenal, fear is my best weapon.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Nice drop holster vod!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!