Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Shadow's first kit - WIP

• 4 Replies
Shadow's first kit - WIP
« on: Jan 02, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Still trying to get the wife to make a better drawing of the final plan, but I have finally started my build.

While waiting for materials to arrive I was working on my electronics, so I'll be starting with the gauntlets first.

I'm planning to have a late crusader style kit, with the left pauldron being the crusader logo with a LED ring behind it.
The gauntlet will then have a keypad that controls the colour of the LED's, as well as the 3 servo's that will extend darts/missiles on the gauntlet itself.
Finally there will be a built-in tft screen with battery info and armed/disarmed status (still working on mando'a font for that)

I have a short video of the keypad test here for those interested:

(the numbers will be replaced with mando'a during painting)

I was hoping to get most of the gauntlet assembly done today, but as it's my first time working with sintra, I learned that one should wear something underneath to not get burned ;)  so time for a bit of a break.

So far I just managed to shape the bottom half of the left gauntlet. I'm not using any pre made templates for this one, so I went from a clingfilm pattern, to a worbla/craft foam sandwich prototype, to finally the sintra version.

Once I'm a bit less burned I'll work on the top half, which will be overlapping the bottom half partially.

Not much so far, but I'm excited that I finally started, so wanted to share :)

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2017, 03:16 PM by Werda Adate » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Shadow's first kit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Super fancy electronics you got there, should be amazing once you've got it together!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2016, 12:36 PM »
So I won second prize in the fundraiser patch lottery, and as such plans have changed a bit, to where the late crusader will be the next kit (I always planned to do at least 3 kits, modern/legacy, late crusader, and early crusader)

I'll now be using the electronics for the new kit instead, and be going legacy/Modern first, as I received this awesome helmet from Lonewolf1183 (super rough cut image, as I couldn't resist immediately trying it out once the visor was cut out):

In addition I FINALLY got around to tidying up the mancave, so now have some workspace to hopefully get some more regular progress going asap :) (If our new puppy allows me some time)

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2016, 06:10 AM by Shadowbreed » Logged
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Made some more progress on the helmet, smoothed out the visor area some more (just a small part left where the dremel didn't fit, so have to cut that out differently before sanding)  Started bondoing the ears, first time working with bondo, so have to do a second layer before smoothing as I didn't realize how crumbly it gets at the end of the working time.
Figured out a padding to use, so will be ordering more of that, and then I just need to put that in, build the electronics, and get a visor figured out. (window tint is not something you can buy in this country)
(the bad glue job on the greebly is on purpose, when painted this should look like a quick welding job)

Meanwhile flak vest has been ordered from K'raam Xrati, flightsuits just arrived yesterday, and pouches/belt/girth belt are being made by a friend from the viking guild

Some mythosaur tests to see which version would look nicest on pouches.

Being shown the viking closing method for the belt, this will have a leather wrap around it hiding the rings.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2017, 03:16 PM »
Wow. it's been a looong time.  But getting Mandalore to come visit a convention in your country is a pretty damn big motivator ;)
Bucket is in progress and just waiting on the last layer, meanwhile changed the concept a little bit, and started templating.

I'd love some input on scale.
Obviously this is too wide, and the collar feels like it should come up higher on my shoulder.
Are the side tips also too low perhaps?

I'm thinking 2 inches off both sides, and maybe lowering the curve for the collar a bit so it sits higher on the shoulders, and the side tips come up higher, then adding one more plate to the bottom to get it close enough to the belly button? (where the piece of tape is)

Concept (still working on the second layer chest plate shape):

First template attempt:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!