Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P) - Approved :D:D

• 314 Replies

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
Re: Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P)
« Reply #50 on: Sep 29, 2016, 11:32 PM »
...I didnt understand the "billowy" part, can u please explain better vod?

I believe the Portuguese word for billowy would be revolto? (At least according to Google. haha)

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #51 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Hi Reginmund  ;D

Hum in fact, I translated to Portuguese also and... hum... never heard that word before... ??? lol  :-X :laugh: maybe some kind of Portuguese (Brazilian) word...  :-\ ??? ahah  :laugh:

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #52 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Hmmmm. Billowy when used to talk about material sort of means lots of excess material not near the body. So... Jedi cloaks billow in the wind when a Jedi walks.
So trying to say the shoulder section of the vest are sitting a little far away from the body and are a little large compared to the size of the shoulder armour - may be due to excess material.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #53 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:34 PM »
What Kris said. :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Ajoliveira

« Reply #54 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Hum, now I did understand  :P :laugh:

Hum, ok vods, will try to sew the pleather more closer to the arm and c how it looks  :-[

Last days have spent SO MUCH TIME (of my few free time  :laugh:) DROOLING and looking to the helmet, oh Lord  ;D :laugh:
Didnt resisted, and already started working on the helmet, and I'm afraid I putting the final armor shapping behind and moving steps, damm  ??? :-[

Ty all and a nice weekend  ;D

AJ

Ajoliveira

« Reply #55 on: Oct 07, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Update - 07-10-2016

Spent last days working on my helmet, and give armor a rest   :P

Yesterday, bought new acrilic cans and decided to make a more serius try on my right hand armor:

- Primed

- Thoothpaste on in

- 2nd layer - Black

- A little more thoothpaste

Edit: Since in the future I wanna gor 4 Sniper, I have supossed that hand armor could/should have a little (more) weather/damage compared to the rest of armor...  ??? Could be wrong, but since that is the hand on the trigger, the hand plate must (?) be more damage, since it scrath (?) on the trigger area...  :-\ hum, let's c how it goes...
- And then the final layer of white matte

Yesterday I was felling confident about it, but this morning I didn't feel that good vibe lol  :-X
I'll leave it dry for 24H and then will take the thoothpaste and see how it looks...
Last try out I made was on a "old" shoulder plate that was "garbage" and didnt like the result:

Nevertheless, upper armor is now fully trimed and already applied chest display, as soon as I have pics taken will upload  ;D

AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2016, 02:07 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #56 on: Oct 08, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Have you thought of Masking fluid/Liquid latex instead of toothpaste?
Failing that use a tooth pick or dabbing with a used tooth brush to give the toothpaste a more jagged edge?
Just in my experience toothpaste/Mustard create a more rounded edge masking for layering paintwork without  "encouraging" the edges in some way  ;)

Ajoliveira

« Reply #57 on: Oct 08, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Update - 08-10-2016

Well, today was a mix of feelings...  :-\

At afternoon, I took all the thoothpaste from my right hand armor, used the faucet and with a little towel and my finger, there's the result:

- Every layer, I think I have repeted 2x or 3x, small aplications...  :-\

Then, decided to sand it with 240 and 1000 grit (bad idea?):

This, why?
In fact, in the future I hopefully will try to join sniper and since its the trigger hand, it must(?) be more weather/damage than the other hand plate, for example (i suppose).
I know that the weather/damage must be rational, like ends/corners of the plates, areas that can be must part of the time laying on ground, scracth of bruches on the legs, foots, I dont know, at that moment I think that kind of damage really make sense but since was too big, didnt realized that in that moment... :-X

At the begining, I was kinda happy with the result  :-X but after some minutes I was thinking that was not so good, in fact, that sucks...  :-X
Posted on Facebook and people start make fun of me, like leopard mando, if u want to do that, u couldnt, so on...  Never felt so bad about the armor building :'( and once again I wanna throw the piece against a wall or out of a window  :'(

Decided to contact Nirob, European Commander and Mi'ix, asking for opinion about it  :-X Both opinions were that was "ok", but I felt that was a "bad" ok... Much concerns about the weathring applied and future weathring on the rest of the armor...  :'( and for me, at that moment, since i wanna throw it out of a window, u know the rest...  :-X

Then Nirob suggested that talked to Colin Bruce aka Ashen Kelborn and pmed throw Facebook  :-[
For my big surprise, the called me and we have been on the phone more than 30 min talking about colour schemes, primers, colours that may match my flight suit, weather and damage tips & methods, a lot of stuff  ;D Feel so happy, in that moment felt the unity of the Mercs, took the iniciative to give a complete strange a call, wow, really feel happy (and awakard lol)  :-[ ;D (-censored- never use Sir again Colin  :laugh: :laugh:)

Now, my mistakes:

- Didnt use Q-Tip (Ty Nirob for that, didnt ever think about it)
- The black as a mid color was bad ideia, since its a strong color (ty Colin)
- The mid colour will be dark gray, wich can be (and will) better and smother - silver + drk gray + matte white (ty Colin)
- The damage/weathring area soo big, working with thoothpaste and with no q-tip, there i got the results, damm  :-X
- Finally found masking fluid  ;D (ty Colin for telling me what its used for, water paiting lol gonna bang my head into a wall :P)

Well, tomorrow or in the next days will try to apply on the left hand area, new color scheme, small areas of damage wich masking fluid can help a lot  ;D this is a learning process, try-error, try-error, if i do it right at 1st will be a miracle, and i intentionally do it on a small piece that i can quickly build it from 0 on 20 min or less  :P

(sorry for the long and boring post  :laugh:)

Ty all and a nice weekend  ;D

AJ

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #58 on: Oct 08, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Your welcome my friend, happy to help and chat  ;D

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #59 on: Oct 10, 2016, 06:42 AM »
Ashen's pretty much got you covered. Although if he didn't mention it - nothing wrong with doing more layers than the three you have above. I do tend to use black unless that's one of the top colours - due to it being a strong colour exactly as he mentioned.
However I pair it with a softer colour and have 2 underlayers. For example my paint is base metal silver, black, steel grey, black, green. The steel grey is the softer colour Ashen was talking about, but the black helps to highlight it. You just have to get very little of the black showing, so it is a fine line of detail that pops up - which is where the q-tips and cocktail sticks I use come in as they allow for tiny amounts of masking.
All the extra layers will add to the effect of natural damage - some places just take off the top layer or two as if something has scraped past your armour, some damage go deeper so it looks like a blade hit or a burn mark -  helps to simulate different types of damage.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #60 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Ashen's pretty much got you covered. Although if he didn't mention it - nothing wrong with doing more layers than the three you have above. I do tend to use black unless that's one of the top colours - due to it being a strong colour exactly as he mentioned.
However I pair it with a softer colour and have 2 underlayers. For example my paint is base metal silver, black, steel grey, black, green. The steel grey is the softer colour Ashen was talking about, but the black helps to highlight it. You just have to get very little of the black showing, so it is a fine line of detail that pops up - which is where the q-tips and cocktail sticks I use come in as they allow for tiny amounts of masking.
All the extra layers will add to the effect of natural damage - some places just take off the top layer or two as if something has scraped past your armour, some damage go deeper so it looks like a blade hit or a burn mark -  helps to simulate different types of damage.

Hi Kris, ty so much for the feed-back ;D

In fact, when I was trying it, didnt realized how much "strong" colour it was or the area of the thoothpaste was covering  ???

Nevertheless, tomorrow morning will buy (finally) masking fluid and them re-start paiting  ;D

I think I will wanna keep it simple, I think the layers will be - Silver + Dark Gray (mid-colour) + White (final colour)  :-[
The reason I wanna keep it simple is cause if it's simple and well done, can be better :P
 (I hope)  :laugh:

And since, I wanna go for sniper, I suppose I wont be to much damage, weathring and so on, but i think I will post something on the Brigades  :-\

AJ

« Reply #61 on: Oct 10, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Update - 02-08-2016

After a week on holydays with gf, got my head clean, focus and prepared to move foward on my building  ;D

I know I havent done much, specially when making my vest is becoming a problem, resized a couple of times, building from scratch 2 times and still havent done it right  :'(

Nevertheless, I got 2 shippements received:

Westar from Nirob

Chest Display from Fi-8015

Purchased this yesterday near home

Any comments appreciaded, especially for the belt and holsters, I think it's ok, but will be happy to have any feed-back on these  :-[
Ty in advance  ;D

Out of curiosity, where did you get that LED display? very cool!

Ajoliveira

« Reply #62 on: Oct 10, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Hi vod   ;D

I bought it to Fi-8015, German vod, check the interest sales I think  ;D

AJ

Ajoliveira

« Reply #63 on: Oct 12, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Update - 12-10-2016

Hi vods,  ;D

So, last few days have working (and drooling :laugh:) my helmet and i'm done with visor:

- More than 15 tries and 3 meters of window car film (damm  >:( :laugh:), total price +- 17.00€  ;D

Yesterday started to work on my Kama + Sash  :) The Sash will be sewed upper and bottom and at back, velcro sewed, better to take on/off and also due to gain/loss of weight  :laugh:

Also, done with trimming that Kris Jara suggested, pics above:

The only thing to deal ( >:() is the lower right of the chest plate, really don´t stay in correct position and always keep going up (i know i'm a little fat, but this  >:()

Yesterday also cutted a bit the shoulders pleather, making it smaller, as Mi'ix suggested  ;) (will take pic in the next few days)

After Q&A team replied to my question, they gave green light on this 2 fake hair extentions as Jedi trophies, 5.00€ each, will buy them in the next few days, one in the belt, another in the right shoulder  :)

Finally found masking fluid and started to try to paint some few small plates:

At the moment is still drying, lets see how it looks tomorrow  ??? :-X
Removed masking fluid:

Didnt applied blackwash (dont know how to do it lol :laugh:) but so far how it looks?  :-[ ??? So tense about this  ???

Left:

- Shnees
- Backplate
- Gaunts (been made by Mac - Spanhis Clan)

I know the road so far is not much, still plenty to do but so far, any thoughts or concerns?  :-\ ??? how it looks?  :-[

AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2016, 08:41 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Kyra Iscandar

• She/They
« Reply #64 on: Oct 12, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I think it looks really good, vod!  :)

Kar'tayl cuy kot

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #65 on: Oct 13, 2016, 02:21 AM »

Removed masking fluid:

Didnt applied blackwash (dont know how to do it lol :laugh:) but so far how it looks?  :-[ ??? So tense about this  ???

Looking allot better my friend, now your getting the hand of it, black wash is pretty simple: black acrylic paint add little bits of water and mix till you have a gloopy paste, apply to all areas you want it/grime would build up, leave for a little bit and then brush wipe off with a paper towel.
but before all that you need to add scratches for the wash to fill and look weathered. 

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #66 on: Oct 13, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Awesome progress my friend!! Keep it up! ;D

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #67 on: Oct 13, 2016, 12:27 PM »
This build is coming together nicely.  Keep up the good work!  (Commenting to follow build  :laugh:

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #68 on: Oct 14, 2016, 05:09 PM »
The plates look great now vod. I think once you get that right chest fang tweaked you'll be just right.  I also agree with Ashen, the paint apps look MUCH better.  When using the masking fluid, go slow, start small & try and envision where the plate would be taking the most damage.  High spots, and edges will take more damage than the low spots.  Depending on the terrain you romp around in, the lower plates could be more heavily weathered than the top...just try and think if it all from a realistic point of view.

Blackwash is easy...but scary to do the first time...cause you literally just coat the plate in a mix of dark paint...wait a sec, then wipe it off in varying degrees.  Do add a few scratches with various grit sandpaper...it helps with the realism, and gives the blackwash something to stick to. 

All in all, you're doing great & I think you're gonna have an awesome kit!  8)

« Reply #69 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I didn't know we were allowed to glue velcro strips to pants to attach armor pieces..... :rolleyes:

Ajoliveira

« Reply #70 on: Oct 14, 2016, 11:14 PM »
Hi Aden how are u?

Ty 4 the reply but may i ask, but that was irony vod?
Or are u serius?
Nice weekend

AJ

« Reply #71 on: Oct 15, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Hi Aden how are u?

Ty 4 the reply but may i ask, but that was irony vod?
Or are u serius?
Nice weekend

AJ

I just remember being told from a OM that you can't glue velcro strips to your suit as it has to be sewn on, I'm just a bit surprised that no one said anything, unless we are now allowed to do that. If you can vod, I'd remove the velcro pieces and sew them back on instead. This will have much more strength to hold up your armor pieces and lessen the chance of the velcro coming unglued  and armor falling off while in full kit. Other than that your kit looks great  :)

Kris Jasra

« Reply #72 on: Oct 15, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Glue on it's own is a no-go - as in gluing the plates directly on to the suit. Gluing the velcro on is technically allowed as a lot of velcro comes with self adhesive - however I highly recommend against it in any way - the glue won't last, especially in warmer weather.

« Reply #73 on: Oct 15, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Glue on it's own is a no-go - as in gluing the plates directly on to the suit. Gluing the velcro on is technically allowed as a lot of velcro comes with self adhesive - however I highly recommend against it in any way - the glue won't last, especially in warmer weather.

Or if you need to wash your soft goods, itll come off in the dryer and make a gooey mess.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #74 on: Oct 15, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Hi vod's,

Hum about that velcro glued with epoxy (not hot glue), I remenber before doing it, PMed few m8s asking for advice and if it was alowed...
In fact, tryed to attach thights with the same pleather of my vest, but didnt work out...
My 1st choice was earth magnets, ebay for 10 or 20 bucks, it was perfect for me, but my biggest problem was(and still is) that I'll use this for Comic Con Portugal, in the beginning of Dec, and even if i buy them today, the magnets will only arrive home in the late of Dec, Jan 17  :-X

Meanwhile, i think its only a temporary solution, since I pretty sure that will sew velcro (or magnets) in the near future, to re-inforce them  ;D
Nevertheless, walked around home, done some jumps, crowl and they didnt come off  ;)

Now, time for a little update:

Update - 15-10-2016

Sash and Kama are almost finished:

My kama, in my head, would be all white, but since i got a nice fabric blue, that is the same colour of my Sash, it will be this (velcro sewed in the belly area, better to close/take off/ gain of weight ahah  :laugh:):

What do you think?   ??? :-[ ;D

The top of the Kama isnt finished yet, it as 7 Cm's (according to google, 2,75 inc) but i think i will go for the 5 cms  :-\ Nevertheless, Sash will cover it, despite of being 7 or 5 cm's  :laugh:

Meanwhile, still paiting some parts of my armor, working slowly in small parts, when i'm feeling it goes fine and i'm pleased with results, kinda of more confident, then will move to helmet and bigger parts  ;D

EDIT: I was waiting to my collar to dry complity and started sanding a lit bit the left chest armor, and when was attaching the chest display, realized that the lines are not complity straight  :o ??? :-X :-\ :'( if i stand like 1 hand palm, i can see it, but if I'm looking into the mirror with chest display on, i cannot see it and looks its just fine  ??? ??? Please see above  :-X

This is gonna be a problem when i do my application? Or may pass?  damm ??? :'(

Second Edit:

Since today i got more spare time than usual, worked on the collar, following my religious rule: working 1st on small plates, learning how this works  :laugh:

How it looks?  ??? Too much, it's ok,...?  ???
Didnt applied any scratch or blackwash yet  but i will  ;D
I'm doing this right?  ??? Cause I'm feeling that I'm on a critical moment of my building and dont wanna screw things  :-\ ???

Regards,

AJ

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2016, 07:52 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!