Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ryi'nock Bes'bavar Armor WIP - the hooded mando *UPGRADE TIME!*

• 63 Replies

Ryi'nock

• What doesn't kill you, Mutates and tries again.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Thought I'd start up a WIP here as I'm now getting somewhere.

Helmet is nearly done, still need to install the LED strip, touch up the paint and weather the thing (tape on the helm was just holding the strip down)

First set of plates primed, hopefully should get a decent amount of paint on them this weekend when i get home.

Knees and gauntlets on order so when they get here I'll start work on my backplate and boot armor.

My Vok'Chi thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103520.0

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2016, 12:26 PM by Ryi'nock » Logged

LOB# 20 - - - MLCS# 25 - - - SPARCK# 15 - - - Clan Vok'Chi - - - House Bes'bavar
Build Thread MK1-3  - - - Build Thread MK4
Ne shab'rud'niO haar bes'bavar

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Ryi'nock Bes'bavar Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Good looking helmet and trauma plates, vod.  How does everything stack up for size?

Ryi'nock

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:05 AM »
Cheers Vod
My Ruus'alor has given me the go on my plates, if you have a look at my Vok'Chi thread you can see the many attempts  of me sizing them up :P

LOB# 20 - - - MLCS# 25 - - - SPARCK# 15 - - - Clan Vok'Chi - - - House Bes'bavar

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Cheers Vod
My Ruus'alor has given me the go on my plates, if you have a look at my Vok'Chi thread you can see the many attempts  of me sizing them up :P
I'll take his word for it. :laugh:

Keep on keeping on.  I like seeing a good thing become great.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 01:19 AM »
I like the asymmetrical trauma plates on your collar piece. Very nice detail that could go into favoring one side over the other.

Ryi'nock

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29 PM »
A nice sunny weekend last couple of days so I was able to get a nice amount of work done... till I ran out of paint and my local halfords didn't have what it needed XD

2 layers of silver on

Then my dark grey  (which I ran out of) and masking fluid on

I ended up adding this on to my righthand side thigh plate. It a door chain and I'm going to add the end of the chain bit to my sidearm so I can just place and slide my gun onto my leg.

Masking tape on for my highlight paint.

Shin plates painted

And my chest plates

I added in another touch of green to the back of my helmet as it was looking really plane as well as fixed the EL wire down to my helmet, velcroed it's power pack down and fixed down the inside of my hardhat for my head support

Picked myself up a small nerf gun when I have planes for, as well as some children's bubbles which I'll turn into grenades or something interesting

And a summery of what I got done

Aannndd rest

Hopefully when I get home from work on friday halfords will have all the paint I need so I can continue then weather all my plates together. Going to start my soft parts this weekend as well

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 11:46 PM »
What are you using for the LEDs? Armor look good btw.

Ryi'nock

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Thanks.
It's EI wire that I was given when I bought the helmet.  It's one led that is reflected down the wire all the way around. Think fiber optic cable but make the sheath clear and not as lethal when your look down it (i maybe wrong)

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 02:45 PM »
This is awesome! I'm
Planning on doing similar colors and trauma plates for my next kit!! Can't wait to see more of this!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34 AM »
this kit is going to be really nice Vod, I like your trauma plate shapes and how you did your placements.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ryi'nock

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:24 AM »
Thank you vode

How I did the placements was I covered up the whole plate with masking tape. Then got myself a plastic ruler and protractor that I could bend around the plate when I applied pressure so I could get that straight line, even though the plate is curved. I then measured off the distances I wanted between each of the stripes, then got the angle I wanted and drew my straight lines from point to point. Then very carefully with a Stanley knife I scored the lines and rubbed the tape off.
If you look closely on the pic you can see my original plate with the design on it and lengths, then on my finished plate you can see the lines drawn

Ryi'nock

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Another weekend over, another task complete... ish

Now just my gauntlets, boots and back plates.
Just need to clean then scrub these baby's up.

Tailored my flightsuit today with the help of my mother and hopefully should get my vest built and finished this next week as well.

Ryi'nock

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 11:01 PM »
A very productive weekend I'd says this week.
Finally got the chance to sit down and get some help.
My flight suit is now virtually finished all nicely tailored to me.
My vest is about 50% complete, got the sizing right so will be padding that out  (didn't help that I decided that I wanted a neck collar after we cut it :P)

Backplate shaped and then trimmed down at the bottem as to add more room and comfort.
Then got two layers of primer then sliver of it.

Started work on my gauntlets, thinking about not going over the top this time, just coz of time constraints.

Have a nice 4 day weekend coming up this week so looking forward to getting as much done as possible for my deadline. Middle of June in time for CE3

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 02:00 AM »
Why does your back plate flair out at the bottom?

QMU#084

Ryi'nock

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 03:20 AM »
I have very large hips. My Ruus'alor says it's fine
If you have a look at my Vok'Chi thread  (new merc) you can see it a lot better.  I didn't tape it down properly in that pic as I was just showing the change from the trip and if it would brush against my pouches.

Edit: I forgot I started trying on templates for my hood :D

The bottem of the hood will be netting so you can still see the neck plate.
What I'm basing the hood off (remove the leaf)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:29 AM by Ryi'nock » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Your clan does have a ton of great kits and I didn't realize at first your body type until you mentioned it.

QMU#084

Ryi'nock

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Haha thanks. Yeah you can't really tell with the shirt I'm wearing. But the back plate sits really nice and snug on my back, I can't even feel it :D

Bowfanny

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33 AM »
Have you considered trimming off those tabs to prevent further questions or what not?

QMU#084

Ryi'nock

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38 AM »
As ive already trimmed them once, I think I'm gonna wait till everything is on and attached, then see if it still stands out. :)

Bowfanny

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 01:22 PM »
Okay then.

QMU#084

Ryi'nock

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Well seeing as I had a four day weekend, I feel like I didn't get as much done as I had planned which is slightly annoying but oh well.

Vest is nearly done, had quite a few problems but still trotting on. Haven't got any decent pics of me in it to show unfortunately but we decided on integrating a neckseal into it saving me from wearing a baleclarver.

Got a decent amount of work done on my hold-out blaster. Filling and sanding it in. Not done yet, I sprayed one layer of primer on so I can see what stands out where and if it needs altering.

Getting slow work in on my gauntlets bet they were really getting on my nerves.
(The darts have been heavily filed down so they aren't sharp anymore!)

Backplate now painted and in line to be weathered. I had hoped that my snaps would have arrived that week so I could start attaching them to the back of the plates but unfortunately not.

Ryi'nock

« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2016, 09:27 AM »
A message to the wonderful yet slightly scarey  members of the approval team. :P

In order for my kit to pass I'll have to repaint my helmet to have the same level of weathering as the rest of my plates won't I?

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Wow, that's a great design right there. I love it, vod! Great plates!

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Bowfanny

« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:49 PM »
A message to the wonderful yet slightly scarey  members of the approval team. :P

In order for my kit to pass I'll have to repaint my helmet to have the same level of weathering as the rest of my plates won't I?

I'm not app team (as of yet but I'll keep trying)
But I can say that without a doubt you'll need the same amount of weathering across the whole kit to tie it together properly.

QMU#084

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Looks good vod. Color scheme is almost the same as mine.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!