Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nerf blaster wip and sniper rifle wip

• 49 Replies
Nerf blaster wip and sniper rifle wip
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I know a lot of you guys don't like nerf mods but I'm trying it out.

What I did so far removed a few pieces,and added some Sintra and the barrel.

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2016, 08:17 PM by Greydogtech » Logged

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Nerf blaster wip
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:02 PM »
It's not that we don't like them, it's just that often times, with the required effort to make them look un-nerf-y, you could build an even more amazing scratch-built weapon or modification on something else.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:14 PM »
It's not that we don't like them, it's just that often times, with the required effort to make them look un-nerf-y, you could build an even more amazing scratch-built weapon or modification on something else.

What he said but go for it and see what you can do.

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:04 PM »
What he said but go for it and see what you can do.

This^ We still want to see how awesome you can make it look.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Have a question which barrel tip should I go with A, B, C, or D?
And im probably not going with the raised lines.

A

B

C

D

The small thin piece of sintra at end of barrel is just keeping it from rolling.

Here is what I had in mind for the gun but head is swarming with ideas and trying find the best one.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:32 PM by Greydogtech » Logged

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48 PM »
Kinda has a DL-18 feel to it.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Kinda has a DL-18 feel to it.

Was trying to  go with the DL-44.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Was trying to  go with the DL-44.

Here is my WIP for a DL-44: https://mandalorianarmour.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/dl-44-blaster/

Big thing to make it more like a DL-44 is the scope on the side, your current schematic looks like the DL-18 because it doesn't have a scope on it and has a similar handle.  By the way, you've done a great job make it look a whole lot less "nerfy."

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 96
mandalorianarmour.org
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Here is my WIP for a DL-44: https://mandalorianarmour.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/dl-44-blaster/

Big thing to make it more like a DL-44 is the scope on the side, your current schematic looks like the DL-18 because it doesn't have a scope on it and has a similar handle.  By the way, you've done a great job make it look a whole lot less "nerfy."

The reason I was saying DL-44 because I'm adding the heat sink under the barrel,I guess it has a combination of both.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 06:47 PM »
The reason I was saying DL-44 because I'm adding the heat sink under the barrel,I guess it has a combination of both.

A threaded PVC pipe cut in half vertical could work great for the cooling vents.  Similar to the right most piece in the picture below:

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 96
mandalorianarmour.org
Re: Nerf blaster wip and sniper rifle
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Working on my sniper rifle and trying to figure out how to make the stock for it, I got the grooves done for the barrel to fit in but need to figure out the shape of the stock and how to attach the barrel to it.

Re: Nerf blaster wip and sniper rifle wip
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Need to figure out how to cut out design for stock think the wood without ruining it,any suggestions?

« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2016, 09:12 PM »
One of the best ways could be to draw the design on the side, lay it flat, and use a jig saw. If you can manage it, a table saw may work too. Your best bet will probably be to cut outside your lines and go nuts with sanding.  ;)

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2016, 10:22 PM »
+1 on the jigsaw, but a scroll saw may work even better.  Draw out a template on paper, glue it to the wood, and cut away.

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Cut out stock but grip is too small  :(, got a few pictures dont know if I got the butt of rifle the right distance from the grip.

Still need to add scope ammo clip and a few other extra.

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2016, 08:56 PM »
How comfortable is it to hold?  If it were a real rifle, I'd say the stock is considerably too long.  But it's a massively oversized weapon, and a prop, so it's about comfort and balance.  Remember you'll have armor on, too.  If it were mine, I'd cut down the stock to where I could get a near 45 degree bend at the elbow of your right arm, so your trigger hand isn't extended so much.  That will throw the balance off, making it more front heavy.  So you may want to add some more weight to the back of the rifle to help balance it out.

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2016, 09:32 PM »
The size of the grip actually looks good! Keep in mind that with gloves on it'll be more comfortable. Also, you can always add a rubber cover or leather wrap to make it a little bigger.

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2016, 09:39 PM »
How comfortable is it to hold?  If it were a real rifle, I'd say the stock is considerably too long.  But it's a massively oversized weapon, and a prop, so it's about comfort and balance.  Remember you'll have armor on, too.  If it were mine, I'd cut down the stock to where I could get a near 45 degree bend at the elbow of your right arm, so your trigger hand isn't extended so much.  That will throw the balance off, making it more front heavy.  So you may want to add some more weight to the back of the rifle to help balance it out.
Ok I was thinking  it might be too long, so I will shorten it a little to see how it feels and looks,and the grip feels ok just thought it might look a little small.

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2016, 09:55 PM »
It might be a smidge on the small size.  Another inch in length wouldn't hurt, but that's really up to you.  It's not necessary, though.  It looks like it fits your hand fairly well, so I'd leave it alone for now. 

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2016, 10:14 PM »
Im also trying to figure out how to attach the barrel should I drill holes in pvc pipe and screw it in or metal bands or both?

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2016, 10:29 PM »
I just used wood screws on mine, but my barrel is considerably shorter than yours.

I'd try something like hose clamps to mount the barrel to the stock, or metal straps.  Screws alone may not be enough to hold it.

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Lengthened the grip,drilled through stock and barrel and holding it down with bolts, and been working on the scope just need way to attach it to gun.I was also wondering should I paint or stain the wood?

Darth_Vemon

« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2016, 09:13 PM »
It's a pretty minimalist build, so I'd say stain it.  Give the public something to look at since there isn't much going on.  Paint the scope and barrel, but I think a nice stain would make the stock stand out.

Check out my fanfic:

« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2016, 10:53 PM »
Ok almost done with gun just trying to make the grip look wooden I tried acrylic paint not really smooth and need to make it look like it has wood grain any ideas?

« Reply #24 on: Jul 05, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Print out a picture of wood grain and tape it on. Then take an exacto knife and scratch the design in. You decide how deep to carve it in. If done carefully and correctly this can look really good and will add real physical depth to the details. Of course that's just my interpretation of your question.

This project is done with foam, is a lot bigger, and is a lot rougher, but this is the general idea https://youtu.be/qjsJBR7WmXk?t=327
Of course he didn't print a picture of grain but that's because it's so big. I don't know how fine wou want the grain to be.

If you try that and want a smooth finish you can always just paint over it and/or do a clear coat.

Besides that I would suggest going with a less natural look. The natural wood grain look is awesome, but it can be really hard to make artificially, especially without experience. Then again just try it and see what happens - that's half the fun!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!