Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

attaching armor to vest

• 7 Replies

Omega 3

• Res Urkyrr
attaching armor to vest
« on: Jul 08, 2016, 09:37 PM »
So I know the obvious velcro is a common way to attach the armor to the vest, but is there a sturdier or more effective way to do so? I was thinking magnets but not 100% sure
Thanks

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: attaching armor to vest
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Magnets can certainly work as well as snaps being a common one. The nice thing about those is that once they are set your plates will be aligned every time, but you need to make sure you have everything perfect when you mount your plates.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2016, 11:20 PM »
So I know the obvious velcro is a common way to attach the armor to the vest, but is there a sturdier or more effective way to do so? I was thinking magnets but not 100% sure
Thanks

A lot of people use Velcro (adhesive to armour and non-adhesive sewed onto the flak vest is recommended).  Also the use of bolts, rivets, "chicago screws", and as you mentioned magnets.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Kit#1 Karl Dha'Werda WIP - Nov 2015
Kit#2 'Late' Crusader WIP - Dec 2016
Kit#3 PI Survivor WIP - ETA May/June 2024
Oyu'baat - OM Troops: 96
mandalorianarmour.org
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2016, 01:10 AM »
A lot of people use Velcro (adhesive to armour and non-adhesive sewed onto the flak vest is recommended).
  why did I try adhisive to the vest? At least it was just a fail vest I made in 2 hours

Jedisalamander, OC: Meshura Ordo.

She/They

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2016, 01:18 AM »
I have 2 sets of armor that I wear regularly. One uses industrial velcro, the other uses bolts. My bolts have failed in the past (the bolt pops off the plate or the nut becomes unscrewed) whereas my velcro has never failed ever. I wouldn't worry too much about industrial velcro being sturdy enough to attach armor to your vest.

Omega 3

• Res Urkyrr
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Okay thats good, I was either going with velcro or magnets. Im not a huge fan of the rivets or screws showing on the armor even though you have to for the lower portion of the body.
Thanks for that

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2016, 12:48 PM »
Oh, no the bolts don't show. They're epoxied to the back of each plate on my Boba armor. You also don't have to have any rivets or bolts showing on the lower portion of the body. Not sure what you mean by that.

Omega 3

• Res Urkyrr
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Oh okay, I gotcha. Thats definitely something to think about then.  Ill try velcro first and go from there

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!