Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Newbie Scratch build WIP

• 4 Replies
Newbie Scratch build WIP
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 07:45 PM »
HI there. Starting my first kit and decided to jump right into the deep end and do a scratch build. Using the WoF Jango templates on card stock. Just got my makeshift body dummy (the old duck tape wrap stuffed with pillows) and put my cut plates onto it. Here's what I have so far.

and with the shoulder bells

The belly plate is about two inches from where my belly button would be. And, I know it looks like the chest plates stick out a bit up near the top, but when I tried taping them to myself they seemed fine. I think I went too tight with the tap up on the chest when making the dummy. Keep in mind I am a bit of a big boy (5'10 and 260 Lbs) so I don't want to go too small on the plates.

Going to use a White rope girth belt to cover the lower half.

How is the size and rough spacing looking? Hoping to resin this weekend some time.

Re: Newbie Scratch build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:34 PM »
It's been a while since I could post. Life gets in the way sometimes. Lol. So, since last post I have abandoned doinf the fiberglass/resin cardstock armor. Tried and epic fail. lol. Well, not so much fail as relaizing by the time I got the hang of things it would take just way to long for all the pieces to come together. Here's where I was when I stopped

Thats the cod, belly plate, and right thight armor. That took me almost two weeks, between applications, drying time, messing up the resin/hardening mix, weather, etc. So I decided to take a break and start on my bucket. Which, funny enough I was making out of a bucket. lol
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=122139.msg1643225#msg1643225

While using the bucket for material I realized how easy it was to work with, so decided to make the rest of the armor out of it too.

Just missing the cod and back piece. Waiting on more buckets, lol. I've already shaped them, the fit half decent, but waiting for my vest before I really start triming and fitting them. Also waiting to pain until then. Also have my gauntlets mostly done.

Right gauntlet

90% done. Just need to find something for the top. It's too plane. Not too sure if I want a sighting mechanism or jus a few basic greebles.

Left gauntlet

That's an old sudoku hand held. I plan on putting a directional button/joystick on the top, and having wires coming from both sides of the three ridges on the bottom going upto and into different spots on the surface.

I know the gauntlets look a little small in the pictures, but they are 6 and a half inches long, and fit nicels on my forearms without restricting movement.

That's it for now. As always, ideas, suggestion, and questions are welcome.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I've kinda stalled on my armor until I can get my vest done up, so I've been working on accessories instead. I plan on eventually going sniper brigade with this character, so with that in mind I made some sensor drones. Slightly inspired by Darth Mauls drones in episode 1. I did a set of three for triangulation, and am going to attach them to my left gauntlet, which is going to be used to control them. This should cover the Vision Enhancement part of the CRL.

I used ping pong balls for the main body. Put a small little LED finger light into the front to give that camera look. Cut another ping pong ball into design and wrapped it around. Then added wire clips for wings, and a small wire crimp for an antenna

I then spray painted them a base coat of gray. I'm going to tape up the wings and antennae to leave them grey, and give them all a coat of black. Then a bit of sanding a dry coating for weathering.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Interesting concept Vod.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Hi Vode, long time no chat. Lol. I'm finally back with some updates.

So, let's start with my drones. They are 90% done. Just need weathering.

I'm actually kinda happy with how they turned out.

Now, to the parts I'm not happy with. Started painting some of my plates. Started off with a base grey/silver.

That came out good. Then I added a light brown/tan layer, and was happy with that. This is the back of the plates. I was doing both sides so that if there was any lift at all the underside wouldn't look base white. The tape in the middle is for velcro placement. I've read on here quite a few times of vode's velcro coming off because they attached it to t a painted area on the plate, instead of bare material.

Now comes the disappointment.  I got too eager, started to see progress, and got swept up in painting. The last coat was put on, in my garage, while it was raining. It warped the paint, and ended up peeling some of it off all the way past the first layer.

So, time to sand it all back down and start again.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!