Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Assassin, So It Begins...(With Pictures Lots and Lots of Pictures)

• 26 Replies

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"

About time I finally got around to doing work upon my armor rather than just spew ideas.

Armor Concept: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120657.msg1630631#msg1630631

Alright, so the first thing I managed to complete today is my left gauntlet.

This is a set of AprilStorm gauntlets that I had sitting around for a while, right one is being sanded and repainted. After much sanding and more sanding and more sanding, then... more sanding, the gauntlet was finally smooth enough to begin work and filling the small wonderful gaps that come from 3d printed items  ;D

I started off with the usual primer, then silver. I bought liquid latex and masked off areas that were to be damaged. I used a small knife that was in a kit from a grooming set to carve scratches and chunks out of the plastic. Applied more liquid latex and sprayed black paint over that, more latex and much drying later, I was finally able to spray on my base coat of paint.

After all that had dried I took my stencil from my PC, sized, printed, and carved into the painters tape to achieve my desired shape. Very very carefully placing the stencil onto the gauntlet

Then covering the remaining area off with a bag.

The painting begins again  :P

Now the results of the days work!! ;D

Whats under all that latex ??

And finally the big reveal

I still need to blackwash and add a few tiny details but that is what I have so far, Let me know what you think

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 09:50 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
It looks great. Nice job on the weathering.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Yolah Hyperion

It looks great. Nice job on the weathering.

Thank you, hopefully I will have the right one posted within the next few days  :P

Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Off to a good start!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Yolah Hyperion

Off to a good start!

Thanks, slowly but surely  :laugh:

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

NukemLuke

• To light a candle is to cast a shadow.
Those symbols are super nice, gonna look real nice on the rest of your Kit.
Can't wait to see what's next.  :D

"There are no mistakes in life, only lessons... Let this be a lesson."

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119691.0 (WIP)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Thanks, slowly but surely  :laugh:
Best way to go.  Took me two years of off and on work to get approved, and have been slowly working on my upgrades to get in as an assassin.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Yolah Hyperion

Mandalorian Assassin, Right Gauntlet
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Progress Time!!!

After tearing apart a television I was given for free, I found some items that sparked some thoughts and ideas!! I smoothed and filed, literally with a small file, the one blaster that goes on my right gauntlet and I thought to myself "Why does the gauntlet blaster only have a little bit of power to it? Where does the heat go from the shots after continuous firing? Shouldn't there be some way for all the heat build up to be dispensed quicker?"
With that rattling around in my head I decided that the blasters should have a little more power to them but with that would come more heat buildup, so the idea was sketched onto the gauntlet then the actual piece for the vent was cut out.

After much sanding, cutting, and filing, this is what the gauntlet started to look like.

Of course I couldn't leave a hack job like that, so Bondo to the rescue.
I had read that Bondo was highly pungent.. But my goodness this stuff was like a kick in the face. Even with my mask on it was still strong enough that I had to step inside and take a break.

Some buttons for reasons, because what gauntlet couldn't use a few more buttons right??  :laugh:

All jokes aside the purpose of the buttons were to add a sense of realism and more functioning feel to the gauntlet for myself. Yes I know one of the buttons is not aligned proper that was on purpose. The power cells will be added on the back side of the gauntlet, which is still drying and will be cleaned up some tonight.

These pictures were taken yesterday and I have since smoothed out more areas that had Bondo. More to come very soon..

Big thank you to Vor'Shi Tyran for letting me use his dremel  ;D

Thoughts? Questions?

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 12:10 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
I LOVE the concept! And I am looking forward your progress!

Yolah Hyperion

Re: Mandalorian Assassin, Left Gauntlet Blackwash
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Haha thank you, it'll get done eventually!!

*Update*

10/20/2016

I blackwashed my left gauntlet and will have pictures up tonight for review and recommendations.
I will do what I can to sand the right gauntlet and get its primed pictures up shortly. Thank you all for your patience.

Here be the pictures as promised

I love how much the scratches held the blackwash and grime!!

Some up close look at the grime and detail.

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 12:14 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Much Much Later

I saw that another member ,YourMaster, had an actual robe that went with his armor. This sparked my imagination, would it be acceptable to have a outer Jetii robe, the thick one often removed before a dual, as my cape/back area?  :-\

His sits under the backplate where as mine would attach in a manner that went under the top portion of my backplate and the rest covered down to my calves.
It would be burned, torn, etc.. to show that the robe had seen some action.

On a side note my right gauntlet will be up and posted today, 11/3/2016  :P

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2016, 07:22 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Interesting concept. Mandalore has something similar, but it is still under a belt I believe. I would check with an app team member, but I like the idea. :)

Yolah Hyperion

Mandalorian Assassin, Right Gauntlet Paint Reveal
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2016, 07:23 AM »
Thank you,

Sent the app team the Q&A and hopefully they will have an answer for me.

My right gauntlet turned out really well I think..

Before all the latex and paint was applied.

This is after latex and paint applied  ;D

Thoughts?? Questions?

The three clawed beast scratches will come into play later here  8)
Very secret project

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 12:21 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Dar'manda

Looks good vod. They look just a little more worn then you left gauntlets, but it'll probably even out with your black/brown washes as well as being next to the rest of your kit. :). Looking forward to the mystery of the three clawed beast! :P

Yolah Hyperion

Looks good vod. They look just a little more worn then you left gauntlets, but it'll probably even out with your black/brown washes as well as being next to the rest of your kit. :). Looking forward to the mystery of the three clawed beast! :P

Thank you :D
Was figuring since I'm right handed the right one would have just a little more wear and tear on it than the left  :P
It will be blackwashed tomorrow!
The three clawed beast will be a secret project that I will eventually reveal *insert evil laugh here*

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Dar'manda

Thank you :D
Was figuring since I'm right handed the right one would have just a little more wear and tear on it than the left  :P
It will be blackwashed tomorrow!
The three clawed beast will be a secret project that I will eventually reveal *insert evil laugh here*

:laugh: Looking forward to it.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Watching with interest.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Yolah Hyperion

Watching with interest.

Thank you, Vod
I promise to not disappoint  ;D

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Ill label this as a bump for this thread before the Thanksgiving holiday prevents me from moving for a few days, what with the turkey and all the food I will be eating.  :laugh:

I borrowed some inspiration from a few members kits and am very pleased with the overall look of how things will play out. I plan to use 6mm on 6mm for most parts and 3mm on 6mm for more detailed areas like the bicep armor and gorget. Long ways to go yet but I shall make it eventually!!

Happy Thanksgiving

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 09:34 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Dar'manda

I like it a lot vod! Can't wait to see it come together! Happy Thanksgiving!

Yolah Hyperion

I like it a lot vod! Can't wait to see it come together! Happy Thanksgiving!

;D Thanks Vod!! You too

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Mandalorian Assassin,
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Talk about a Necropost revive,

The months have passed and life has allowed me to start once again on the construction of armor. Within the past few months after hours of research and browsing, I began to notice that the Bo Katan style gauntlet was growing ever more popular, that in mind I like to stand out and be unique when it comes to almost everything.
I happen upon a broken pair of swim goggles while at the pool one hot day and thought "Well now, here is a fine piece of plastic in the lens here. I could indeed do something with that. I know I will add a interface to my gauntlet!"

As with a plate of cookies, an idea is never just one idea, with the interface idea I also felt like the barrels of the gauntlet could use an upgrade. After a few moments of sifting around my box of junk I came across a piece of pipe that fit the general shape and size I was imagining.

Yes the pipe is still very shiny because it has not been weathered as of yet  ;D  getting there worry not. I still need to bondo over some areas where the interface is located along with the attaching of the barrel.

That's my progress so far!

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2017, 12:33 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

iamspaceman

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
This is coming along well. I like the look. You're doing a fantastic job on the weathering. I would also like to suggest  that you keep in mind while weathering is all good sometimes you can have too much. Weathering has to be consistent over your entire armor set. Can't wait to see more.

Tactical superiority through big guns and badassery!

ShadowRex

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Posting to keep track of your WIP, Vod!

I'll edit this post with some observations after I finish my coffee... (7 - 4-2017)

Yolah Hyperion

Posting to keep track of your WIP, Vod!

I'll edit this post with some observations after I finish my coffee... (7 - 4-2017)
This is coming along well. I like the look. You're doing a fantastic job on the weathering. I would also like to suggest  that you keep in mind while weathering is all good sometimes you can have too much. Weathering has to be consistent over your entire armor set. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you both  :laugh:

Spaceman- I will make sure my kit has the same level of weathering all around :)
Reason behind them being so weathered is they used to be my fathers and he took them as a trophy from a Deathwatch member, then used them for a few years before finally passing them along to me. Least thats the backstory I plan to use  ;D

Also the little plastic piece decided to "fog up" to this nasty tint and the circuit part felt like jumping ship so I'll probably have to cut another piece or fix this one somehow.

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2017, 07:59 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!