Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

kamen's armor build WIP

• 2 Replies
kamen's armor build WIP
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:53 PM »
so, now that i've gotten the concept planned out, i've been spending my time trying to get my gear done in time for a local event may 20th. special thanks to Silvertrish for helping me get most of my gear, and with planning and...well, everything so far!

so firstly, i've got the soft parts.
the flight suit was found at the local surplus store for 5$ since it was already worn out to hell (more of a bonus for me). i tailored it in a bit so it fits more snugly.

the girth belt was done with some cheap cotton rope, dyed brown, and then glued to leftover fabric from the flak vest. i'm not sure if the leather belt is allowable without a more star-wars ish buckle though...maybe the kind imperial officers wear? i also need a looot more pouches. there's also 2 pleather holsters attached to the belt, but they're cut off in the picture...

start of a cape, all laid out. it's scrap fabric from the inner part of my tunic. gotta sew it and add more weathering to it, maybe singe the edges?

the gauntlets are the simple, PVC method with hinges and, and a hinge for a lock. the nuts and bolts are kinda...clunky, but i can't find chicago screws around here for a decent price (set of 60 nuts/bolts cost the same as 8 chicago screws). the gloves, i'm hoping are okay, because the handplate and cuffs of the flight suit cover all of the logos. the piece on the right side hand plate, i'm imagining is some kind of electric shock/stun device.

kneecaps, again, are PVC, with basic backpack clasps and elastic bands connecting them. i wanna put some kind of piece through the hole in the right knee, and just fill in the hole on the left one.

the boots are some old boots i've had for...well they're as old as i am, probably. pretty dirty, because i usually wear them for horse riding and barn work, but that just adds to the character....right? armor is again, PVC, with some small pieces of EVA foam inside for lining to keep from digging in. most of the wear and tear on these ones are naturally occuring from wearing them out for the first time hahah. as for how they're attached, i'm hoping this is allowed? it's elastic roped through the rings and straps of the boots. should i make it darker brown elastic, or black so it matches the boot?
[/img]http://pre04.deviantart.net/eebd/th/pre/i/2017/126/f/2/img_20170507_015635669_by_kamenkewl-db8dxhm.jpg[/img]

finally, there's the chest armor. it's made from the ol 5 gallon bucket method. one bucket for the front, 1 for the back. the plates are attached directly to the vest via those little brass binder clips people use for scrapbooking. the vest closes by 6 snap buttons on the left hand side, although i know now i need to set the buttons a bit further back, as i can't close them all over both the flight suit and tunic. and if i do, just bending over is enough to pop them all open :/

so, all together, here's what we've got! i am also aware the girth belt is hanging low, one of the clasps came loose while walking, but it's been fixed. i've just done some weathering, so when more of that is done, along with the bucket, i'll hopefully be able to get some more detailed pictures up!

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: kamen's armor build WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Your kit looks awesome so far, vod! I think the only thing that concerns me is how your kamas wrap all around your waist. I had something similar and I got knocked back in the application process for it. About the elastic, its in the CRLs to dye elastic to match fabric of flight suit - so I think similarly you should dye it to match the boots.

Re: kamen's armor build WIP
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:59 PM »
Thanks! I'll have to ask someone on the app team. I was hoping the wrapped around tunic part would be considered like a loincloth, but I could also add a codpiece and open the tunic up. Elastic will be replaced with black when I can get some!
On another note, I'm open to suggestions for more to add! I want to build some tools onto my gauntlets but I'm not sure on what...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!