Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Two weapons

• 13 Replies
Two weapons
« on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:09 AM »
So, I'm working on two weapons right now. The first is a pistol

I'm wondering if any changes need to be made (lowering the barrel diameter, adding more detail, etc.

The second is either going to be a short vibroblade or a beskad (Mandalorian saber). I'm currently leaning toward a vibroblade

How should I change these to make them acceptable? (beyond paint - I already have metallic paint on order for the blade)

Re: Two weapons
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2017, 10:03 AM »
For the gun, more greeblies or layers to the side paneling. Flat, smooth weapons like that are more of a star trek thing. In fact i think that would fit in with perfectly with older style phasers haha.
For the sword, i'd say a different type of handle wrap, since whats on there now is pretty recognizable as a katana wrap.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2017, 02:44 AM »
As I wait for my Dremel to recharge, I've designed a hand guard for my blade

Would a debossed/embossed mythosaur skull help break up that flat guard area? Do I need such a thing?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2017, 08:36 AM »
It's not needed, but it could do a lot to break up the plainness.

As for the blaster, when designing something, think "what would the props department do?" Look to the movies and Visual Guides for inspiration.
The grip on the blade is OK, I know of a few beskad users that have that style wrap.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Well, the grip was actually really uncomfortable to hold, so I've already cut it off. What would be a good replacement? Fake leather? Electrical or bat grip tape?

Also, I realized that in character, I've had the blade since before I was a Mando, so a mythosaur doesn't make sense

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:22 PM »
If you can, a leather/pleather wrap would probably work best.  Another option is paracord, or cotton clothesline rope.  There are lots of things you can do. Just use your imagination, and if it seems too out there, run it past your Ruus'alor.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Taking inspiration from the DL-44 and the DH-17,  I remodeled my blaster

Can I get another set of eyes to help me out?

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:24 AM »
might just be me, but it looks very star trek phaser

Korium9

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Celebration Anaheim 2022 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2017, 01:58 PM »
First question is what kind of blaster are you going for?

Do you have any orthographic renders?
It's probably the angle, but the trigger guard looks small-ish and might be difficult to hold.
The scope mounts usually have more of a clamp or ring around the scope itself.

The grip reminds me of the Naboo handmaiden/Padme' hold-out pistols, however the rest of the blaster looks much thicker.
I actually kind of liked the ribbed barrel of the first post -- any chance of that being a transitional piece between the current muzzle and the body?

Where do you think the ammo/charges would go?

Irokh Shev'la-kal
My (Original) Armor Build | Upgrade WIP
MMCC - #1512 | WoM - #25
M5 - #76 | KOVA - #23
LOB # 25
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2017, 04:06 PM »

The blaster is meant to be a heavy pistol, maybe about the same power as a DL-44.

All of my screens are through an ortho viewer, just weird angles.
I see where you're coming from with the grip, but that just came to me from a couple splines
Unfortunately, the file history is getting too long - my computer just about dies if I try to get far enough back to rescue that barrel
Added a clamp and obvious energy cell

EDIT: would something like this work for the sword grip? If so, should I wrap it with a double helical pattern, or is a single helix enough?

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 11:03 PM by Fulliron » Logged

Korium9

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Celebration Anaheim 2022 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:23 PM »
If it's a heavy blaster, I would recommend flaring/tapering the grip to be wider at the base. That would give it the appearance of a more substantial weapon. (Just an opinion, tho)

I like the scope mount addition, although I'm not sure what the rule is for the hex nut.

Irokh Shev'la-kal
My (Original) Armor Build | Upgrade WIP
MMCC - #1512 | WoM - #25
M5 - #76 | KOVA - #23
LOB # 25

Straka Zulu

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Seeing this new render, I'm inclined to say that the body of the weapon looks more akin to a rifle than a pistol.  Just my two credits... ;D

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Straka's comment made me look at the blaster in a new way, so....

I went back and dug up the old ribbed barrel for the barrel extension, then just free-handed the profile for the stock. I also lengthened the scope a fair bit.

On the hex nut thing, I was assuming that, given that movie used props (and real weapons) have a little bit of connection hardware showing, one or two hex nuts painted over wouldn't be the worst thing to have, since they'll actually end up being real connection hardware (the newest render doesn't have them anymore for that reason). I can also just fill the holes with glue and paint over them in the future.

EDIT: Added a foregrip and lengthened the blaster a bit. It was looking a bit stubby for my tastes

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 08:46 PM by Fulliron » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Would it be possible to get this thread moved to the Armory subforum?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!