Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question - Possible recruit, wheelchair

• 2 Replies

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
Question - Possible recruit, wheelchair
« on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I have a question about:

My mother has been interested in joining my clan for a while now. She has, however, felt like she can't because of the fact that when out of the house she is mainly in a power wheelchair (hoveround mk-5) or sometimes using a walker or forearm crutches.

While I have convinced her otherwise, I'm not entirely sure where to start on her kit. She tires easily and also has severe medical problems if she overheats so minimal plate coverage is preferred. I'm planning on her using a underarmour style flight suit and a quick release from some of the plating to help mitigate that issue, however dumping heat can be be difficult for her.

What recommendations would you have in this situation? What plates and other parts are absolutely necessary in this case? I believe I have a solution for her back covering, however this is the first time I've had to make a costume that's wheelchair friendly.

Also, what are the regulations regarding her power wheelchair? I can make a slipcover for it if needed, but there are only so many mods I can make to an everyday use medical device.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Question - Possible recruit, wheelchair
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:34 AM »
The chair itself would need no mods, although I've seen a wonderful rifle and sword holster made to fit a wheelchair. Also flags attached to the back if you've got no cape there can look awesome.

I would suggest a vest made from a light weight material with a mesh panel on the lower back to help dump heat, then a cape that can be flung over the back of the wheelchair if it's low enough or a very short cape that just covers the very top of the back - since the rest of the back would be hidden by the chair. Quick release buckles at the sides and top of the vest just behind the shoulder would be my thought so the front panel with plating can just be removed in one go if necessary.
Bo Katan style would be my suggested plate route as it has the best movement and least coverage which is good for comfort. It also is one of the easiest to modify the patterning for at the ab.

Cod, knees, gauntlets and helmet would be the only other required armour parts. And a sash and belt.
For the cod I'd go with a lightweight loin cloth for comfort and heat transfer - add some trophies or a nice embroidery/paint design and it will really draw the eye. Knees look at Wren armour perhaps, they're the lightest going and will be easiest to move in, alternatively you could use shnees.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kruser

• Helmet on. Heart gone.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Question - Possible recruit, wheelchair
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 01:23 AM »
One of my Mercs in Gurreck lost his leg in a motorcycle accident a couple of years ago.  You may remember him as he was on the front page of the website, HombrePatrick.  He attends events in his chair when his prosthetic is giving him fits.  :D  Encourage your mom to get involved!  :D

Need help resolving an issue in the Cabinet?
Please file an Expectation Remediation Request
Expectation Remediation Request Form

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!