Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scythe question

• 9 Replies

lunchsack86

• Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Scythe question
« on: May 28, 2019, 07:14 PM »
So

Seeing as how a lot of conventions and stuff are going the direction of no blasters, i thought id start working on a melee weapon.

I have always digged on Scythes(since diablo 2) but i can only find super cartoony ones when i google star wars scythe.

the search feature on this site doesn't help much either. Was wondering if i can be pointed in the direction of a person who has one.
Or some inspiration on the blade it self to keep it within the realm of star wars

Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
# 2406
Hail to the King baby

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Scythe question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:40 PM »
For blade inspiration, search "Vibrosword" or "Vibrodagger" or "vibroknife"  -- I don't know of any film references for a scythe.  There may be a comic book reference somewhere.  In general it's going to look pretty earthy as its original purpose is "farm implement" and it's pretty iconic to the character of Death in Western Society. Pulling it off as a SWARZY look is going to be a real challenge, but not necessarily impossible.   

Highly recommend you post concept sketches and get feedback, and also that you greeblie the crap out of it.

Kurz

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 01:43 AM »
Of you wanna go tactical you can aim to do a couple of Kamas. Not really a scythe but same purpose  :laugh:
Make them vibro-kamas and i think you are good to go. Clear acrilic blade, couple of LEDs and should turn out awesome.

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

lunchsack86

• Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 03:38 PM »
i found one that looks simple yet "star warsy" its the warhammer scythe.

Would that be approved?

Also stumbled on the Ryyk Blade. could attach that to a stick(for simplicity sake) and call it a day

Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
# 2406
Hail to the King baby

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Another option would to be to make it like a medieval polearm.   There is a version of a scythe that has that similar shape blade, but it runs in the same direction as the shaft. 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:57 AM »
Something you might be interested in: There was an actual thing back during the Medieval Ages called a "War scythe."  Basically, when peasants were conscripted to fight for their lords, sometimes they'd be forced to provide their own weapons.  In those cases, conscripted farmers would reforge their scythes and turn the blade 90* so that they had a polearm with a long, curved blade at the end.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 02:36 AM »
In conjunction with the post above, I would go for the war scythe style blade. If you want to get really creative, add a "blaster" to the staff weapon. Use the staff weapons from Stargate SG-1 as inspiration for how to incorporate the blaster.

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Something you might be interested in: There was an actual thing back during the Medieval Ages called a "War scythe."  Basically, when peasants were conscripted to fight for their lords, sometimes they'd be forced to provide their own weapons.  In those cases, conscripted farmers would reforge their scythes and turn the blade 90* so that they had a polearm with a long, curved blade at the end.

This is exactly what I was thinking about.  ;D
Was thinking that they called it a war scythe, but wasn't certain.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

lunchsack86

• Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 07:58 PM »

thinking of doing the 1st one with the Mythos Skull where the staff meets the blade

Rang Ori'dush Oyayc
# 2406
Hail to the King baby
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2019, 03:18 AM »
Those all look really neat. I was going to suggest taking a look at the BD-1 vibro axe if you wanted an in-universe polearm for aesthetic or structure reference, but I think you've got it covered.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!