Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

EL Wire light up visor

• 3 Replies
EL Wire light up visor
« on: Jul 13, 2019, 08:29 AM »
I am just starting to get my kit together, and I plan to buy a helmet. However, one of the features I thought would be really cool would be if I could add a glow around the outside T of my visor on the helmet.

I have looked at EL wire as I think that would be the best way to produce the effect but I am still trying to conceptualize how to affix it to the helmet in a way that it won't be glaring into my own eyes, or the eyes of people looking at me.

Originally I thought of routing a small channel in the helmet in the sidewalls of the T, so that the visor would be behind it, but I was told that area might be too thin to essentially hide the wire in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vorpal

Re: EL Wire light up visor
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2019, 10:46 AM »
EL wire isn't that bright. I would worry to much unless you have it right infront of your eyes

ti his kov'nyn

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2019, 10:51 AM »
To add to Vorpal’s comment, the transformers for EL wire can run a little warm and make a fairly annoying noise.

A small segment of LED strip with a usb power bank may be a better alternative depending on your plans

Owner of Cabiris Workshop - Custom and Bespoke 3D printed accessories
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155271.0
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I did not know that it made extra noise and got hot. I might take the idea of a short LED strip then. I have seen a few different options for sale on the forums that would work. I was hoping for an all-around visor glow instead of just the top, but it may be something that gets worked on over time

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!