Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Finally ready to get started!

• 4 Replies
Finally ready to get started!
« on: Jul 23, 2020, 01:19 AM »
I've been slowly working on a design for my Mando off and on for well over a year, my plan is to 3D print most of it so I've been modeling it. Below are some simple renders of my 3D model. I've also printed and painted a 2-inch tall version of the helmet and have pictures of that as well.

My eventual plan is to brigade as Force Hunter, with maybe a dual-brigade as Privateer. This is the armor only, so no weapons/trophies/extras/soft parts unless they're built into the armor.

I want to do a modular system for the ear caps. My thought is they could be removed and worn without the attachments or swapped out to a range finder/macrobinocular visor/etc. So far I've only modeled the range finder.

Sleek asymmetrical armor meant offer optimal protection when in melee with a lightsaber wielder. Wrist blaster and darts on right wrist. Flamethrower on left wrist.

The jet-pack, this is the one part of the design I have concerns about getting approved. I intend it to be more of a jump jet/zero-G space maneuvering thruster. I wanted it to be small and low profile so I didn't go with a typical Mando jet-pack.

The 3D Print, here I was playing with placement and thoughts on lightsaber hit marks.

Let me know what you think! I'm excited to finally get started!!!

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
Re: Finally ready to get started!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Gray and Red vod!  :like:  I'm guessing you're going for a crusader era build?
I love the lit diamond and the jetpack design!
Overall the 3D model looks great, just something to consider: if your footplate is all one piece (hard to tell) you might have a problem walking.
Definitely following for more!

Cabur Akaata #200
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Gray and Red vod!  :like:  I'm guessing you're going for a crusader era build?
I love the lit diamond and the jetpack design!
Overall the 3D model looks great, just something to consider: if your footplate is all one piece (hard to tell) you might have a problem walking.
Definitely following for more!

Thanks! I should have mentioned in my original post, my intention is for it to be modern era. Is there something in the design that you see that might conflict with that?

Right now the foot armor is made up of 3 overlapping plates. My hope is that they'll slide over each other as the foot flexes. That said, I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error there and it'll have to change as I figure out what works.

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2020, 03:59 PM »
I'm still working on my first kit and by no means a subject matter expert, so get an expert opinion.  But from what I have seen the CRLs specify visible gaps between the parts of the chest plates and the armor cannot touch the 2 required waist items for a modern kit.

Look at the crusader CRL, I think you'd fit there without having to change your design too much.

Cabur Akaata #200

Nano Rey'son

• Rebel Dad
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2020, 02:58 PM »
Great concept so far! I can see where the confusion above on the style of kit comes from. There actually is spacing just so much grey kind of blurs it out. Something to keep in mind when building is being able to separate the colors visually.

It is better to be a Warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war
M.V.S 080 l L.O.B 61 l V.O.T.S 90

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!